Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HELP!!..Not even honda can fix this thing! Please help me out..Let me know what you think...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!..Not even honda can fix this thing! Please help me out..Let me know what you think...

UPDATE! 3-1-06
Car is running but seems to have what sounds like a vacuum leak and still when I give the car gas it cuts out till the higher RPM's....Car warms up and isn't AS bad on the cutting out but still sounds like crap and cuts out...

NO CODES AND NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!....

Hey guys I bought a car from the auction and it had a half *** motor swap in it....The car is a 00 civic EX with a 00 civic si motor, block, head and tranny...When I got the car there was No valve cover,Half shaft,Axles,intake,battery,ECU,Reverse sensor and the timing belt was off the pulleys but not broke...(Also I think the harness is still the EX one)
Ive got it put all back on and I took it to honda to have the timing done because when I try and start it it just runs REALLY bad and then dies out...When the car is started if you try and give it ANY gas it just dies..(Wont rev at all)

Honda thinks its the dizzy and they say you cant use a EX harness with a si swap and that's all they could tell me for $500!!!!...(OUTCH!)

SO if anyone can help me out here that would be great because I don't know what to do with it next...

Thanks in advance,
Ron

Here is what honda put down:
83985 4.0 PERF. INSPECTION AND FOUND THE CAM TIMING WAS OFF BY TWO TEETH ON EACH CAM...THIS ENGINE IS NOT THE STOCK ENGINE AND DID NOT COME IN THIS MODEL. THERE ARE WIRES HANGING AND NOT CONNECTED TO ANYTHING IN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT I REMOVED THE VALVE COVER AND RESET THE CAM TIMING CORRECTLY, REINSTALLED THE VALVE COVER USING NEW NUTS..STARTED THE ENGINE, THE ENGINE NOW RUNS BUT WILL NOT REV, THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON. I CHECKED THE INGITION TIMING, THE DISTRIBUTOR ROTOR IS POINTING AT #1 WHILE AT TDC #1. SINCE THE ENGINE HAS BEEN SWAPPED FROM ANOTHER VEHICLE AND IS UNKNOWN WHAT EXACTLY HAS BEEN DONE, I REC. THE VEHICLE BE TAKEN TO A SHOP THAT DOES THIS KIND OF MODIFICATION.
FURTHER INSPECTION FOUND THE CRANK POSITION SENSOR AT THE FRONT OF THE CRANK WAS NOT CONNECTED, THE WIRES WERE CUT AND HANGING. ALSO FOUND THE IAT (INTAKE AIR TEMP) SENSOR WAS NOT CONNECTED, THE INCORRECT IAT SENSOR IS INSTALLED AT THE WRONG PLACE. EXTENDED THE CRANK POSITION SENSOR WIRES AS NEEDED, TEMPORARILY WIRED IN THE IAT SENSOR. THE ENGINE STILL WILL NOT RUN PROPERLY. FURTHER INSPECTION FOUND THE 00 CIVIC EX ENGINE WIRE HARNESS AND DISTRIBUTOR ARE INSTALLED ON THIS 99-00 CIVIC SI ENGINE/TRANS/PCM. REC. REPLACING THE ENGINE WIRE HARNESS TO THE 00 CIVIC SI AND 00 CIVIC SI DISTRBUTOR ASSY...OR INSTALL THE CORRECT ENGINE/TRANS/PCM FOR THE VEHICLE. NOTE: THE VEHICLE DOES NOT HAVE A MUFFLER. VEHICLE MAY NEED OTHER THINGS THAT ARE NOT LISTED HERE...THIS IS THE MOST OBVIOUS AT THIS TIME. (7.OHRS)

Modified by JDMITRTURBO at 5:51 PM 2/9/2006

Modified by JDMITRTURBO at 6:05 PM 2/9/2006

Modified by JDMITRTURBO at 10:23 PM 2/9/2006

Modified by JDMITRTURBO at 12:18 PM 2/10/2006

Modified by JDMITRTURBO at 7:54 AM 3/1/2006
Old 02-09-2006, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looking at a picture of your distributor looks like you could use another one, i dont think that big hole gave it away or anything

and you prolly need to get it timed
Old 02-09-2006, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (riceburnerryan)

Yeah I noticed that too. You have a 4 cylinder not a 3 cylinder. New cap and see what happens.

And stway away from that dealer. Damn.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^LMAO
Old 02-09-2006, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (VTcivicHB)

Werd try bringing in a fully tucked engine bay and let's seen these ASE certified mechanics try to locate them
Old 02-09-2006, 04:03 PM

when i did my head gasket swap the first time i started it it sounded kinda like a diesel and when i floored it it wouldnt even rev. found out the timing was off so check that.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (snowman0520)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by riceburnerryan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">looking at a picture of your distributor looks like you could use another one, i dont think that big hole gave it away or anything

and you prolly need to get it timed</TD></TR></TABLE>

I got a new cap the pic was just to show what it looked like...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bonylad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah I noticed that too. You have a 4 cylinder not a 3 cylinder. New cap and see what happens.

And stway away from that dealer. Damn.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats for sure...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTcivicHB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^^^LMAO</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by snowman0520 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when i did my head gasket swap the first time i started it it sounded kinda like a diesel and when i floored it it wouldnt even rev. found out the timing was off so check that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I had the timing done and that didn't fix it..

Just got the car back from honda and still isnt runing right...
Help me out here people...
Old 02-09-2006, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dose it have any codes? also what ecu is in it? a couple more details on the car please..
Old 02-09-2006, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sohcvtec1995)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sohcvtec1995 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dose it have any codes? also what ecu is in it? a couple more details on the car please..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes there is a light but I don't know what it was and me and honda are no longer on good terms so there not going to tell me what it was and I dont have the stuff to pull it off....
The ECU is a stock SI ECU....
Old 02-09-2006, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDMITRTURBO)

if its like my EG there should be a little blue plug under the glove box by the ecu. Take a paper clip and stick one end in both sides. Turn your key to the accessory position and watch your CEL. It will blink at you what codes you are throwing. a long blink is 10, a short blink is one; ie. 2 long blinks followed by 4 short blinks would be a code 24. Try and find out what codes you are throwing and then we can BS from there.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is what honda put down:

83985 4.0 PERF. INSPECTION AND FOUND THE CAM TIMING WAS OFF BY TWO TEETH ON EACH CAM...THIS ENGINE IS NOT THE STOCK ENGINE AND DID NOT COME IN THIS MODEL. THERE ARE WIRES HANGING AND NOT CONNECTED TO ANYTHING IN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT I REMOVED THE VALVE COVER AND RESET THE CAM TIMING CORRECTLY, REINSTALLED THE VALVE COVER USING NEW NUTS..STARTED THE ENGINE, THE ENGINE NOW RUNS BUT WILL NOT REV, THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON. I CHECKED THE INGITION TIMING, THE DISTRIBUTOR ROTOR IS POINTING AT #1 WHILE AT TDC #1. SINCE THE ENGINE HAS BEEN SWAPPED FROM ANOTHER VEHICLE AND IS UNKNOWN WHAT EXACTLY HAS BEEN DONE, I REC. THE VEHICLE BE TAKEN TO A SHOP THAT DOES THIS KIND OF MODIFICATION.
FURTHER INSPECTION FOUND THE CRANK POSITION SENSOR AT THE FRONT OF THE CRANK WAS NOT CONNECTED, THE WIRES WERE CUT AND HANGING. ALSO FOUND THE IAT (INTAKE AIR TEMP) SENSOR WAS NOT CONNECTED, THE INCORRECT IAT SENSOR IS INSTALLED AT THE WRONG PLACE. EXTENDED THE CRANK POSITION SENSOR WIRES AS NEEDED, TEMPORARILY WIRED IN THE IAT SENSOR. THE ENGINE STILL WILL NOT RUN PROPERLY. FURTHER INSPECTION FOUND THE 00 CIVIC EX ENGINE WIRE HARNESS AND DISTRIBUTOR ARE INSTALLED ON THIS 99-00 CIVIC SI ENGINE/TRANS/PCM. REC. REPLACING THE ENGINE WIRE HARNESS TO THE 00 CIVIC SI AND 00 CIVIC SI DISTRBUTOR ASSY...OR INSTALL THE CORRECT ENGINE/TRANS/PCM FOR THE VEHICLE. NOTE: THE VEHICLE DOES NOT HAVE A MUFFLER. VEHICLE MAY NEED OTHER THINGS THAT ARE NOT LISTED HERE...THIS IS THE MOST OBVIOUS AT THIS TIME. (7.OHRS)
Old 02-09-2006, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow, 7 hours for that? Ok, what have you done about the IAT and CPS? Have you checked ALL of the sensors coming from the motor and the wiring harness? I dont know EK's all that well, are you sure an EX wiring harness will work with an SI motor? I would think so, but not sure.

Sounds like you need to check the codes cuz those mechanics didnt tell you too much. Plus, something might be wrong that they cant even see. Not sure why in the hell they didnt run a diagnostic on it while they had it for 7 hours.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JapTendencies)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JapTendencies &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow, 7 hours for that? Ok, what have you done about the IAT and CPS? Have you checked ALL of the sensors coming from the motor and the wiring harness? I dont know EK's all that well, are you sure an EX wiring harness will work with an SI motor? I would think so, but not sure.

Sounds like you need to check the codes cuz those mechanics didnt tell you too much. Plus, something might be wrong that they cant even see. Not sure why in the hell they didnt run a diagnostic on it while they had it for 7 hours.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not sure were the iat and cps even are...And would those 2 things make it so I couldn't even give the car gas with out it dieing?...
Ya I said the same thing about how long they had it and what they could tell me...I was vary unhappy having not ben able to drive my car home...

If there is some one that needs some pics of any part of the motor to help me out just let me know and ill get out there with the cam and take like 50 pics...
Old 02-09-2006, 07:22 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So, uh, did you pull the head off and check for bent valves before putting things back together and trying to start it? If not, you could have bent valves (it's a B16 - it was probably revved to **** and back) or damaged internals (bearings, bent rods, etc.)

You need to figure out the code(s) first of all. Any advance auto or NAPA should be able to do that for a small fee, probably free if you play your cards right.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So, uh, did you pull the head off and check for bent valves before putting things back together and trying to start it? If not, you could have bent valves (it's a B16 - it was probably revved to **** and back) or damaged internals (bearings, bent rods, etc.)

You need to figure out the code(s) first of all. Any advance auto or NAPA should be able to do that for a small fee, probably free if you play your cards right. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I was told if I had bent valves and stuff then it would smoke and stuff and there is not smoke at all....The hole code thing isnt going to be easy given I cant drive it anywere...
If you work for NAPA and can come over that would be great ( Columbus Ohio)

Modified by JDMITRTURBO at 10:43 PM 2/9/2006
Old 02-09-2006, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know why you threw your money away taking that to a dealer. The dealer doesn't want to see that kind of ****. Stupid...

Also don't know why you thought you were getting a good deal on an auction if you can't handle this kind of thing yourself.

Tough love. Good luck.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (suspendedHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suspendedHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't know why you threw your money away taking that to a dealer. The dealer doesn't want to see that kind of ****. Stupid...

Also don't know why you thought you were getting a good deal on an auction if you can't handle this kind of thing yourself.

Tough love. Good luck.</TD></TR></TABLE>

All in all I didn't think it would need that much...(Valve cover, ECU,CAI)
Didn't know half that other stuff was gone...
Ive had alot of people look at this car and they cant seem to understand whats wrong with it...I was done paying people to come over and JUST TRY to fix it...I thought civic civic motor take it to some one who knows there **** and well I was dead *** wrong there...Honda tecs get $30-whatever to change oil on a honda from what I can see...
Thanks for the slap on the hand though Ive been getting that alot, whats a couple more?...lol...
Old 02-09-2006, 08:00 PM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Hey go check the codes, I think thats where we need to start.

Ok go to your passenger side kick panel and remove it. You should see the ECU and this green looking thing

There should be a little blue connector that looks like this, you will want to jump the holes with a small paper clip by putting the clip in the two bottom holes. Turn the key to the on position and tell us what it does.

These are NOT my pics
Old 02-09-2006, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turner7205)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turner7205 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey go check the codes, I think thats where we need to start. I post a pic here in a second for ya.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 02-09-2006, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dont mean to make this hard but I don't have that little blue plug!....lol....

Here is what I got:

Let me know what you think...
Old 02-09-2006, 09:22 PM

Default Re: HELP!!..Not even honda can fix this thing! Please help me out..Let me know what you think... (JD

You wont have the blue plug the other guy is talking about because your car is OBDII you need a OBDII scan tool to retrieve the DTC's. Even if you had one it only tells you the type of sensor failure you are having.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP!!..Not even honda can fix this thing! Please help me out..Let me know what you think... (JD

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by singlestic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> You wont have the blue plug the other guy is talking about because your car is OBDII you need a OBDII scan tool to retrieve the DTC's. Even if you had one it only tells you the type of sensor failure you are having. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks...
Old 02-09-2006, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You have that blue plug, its up higher and covered in a green rubber holder. It will give you a good idea where to start. Either way you could go to autozone and get a code reader to read the code.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMITRTURBO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Not sure were the iat and cps even are...And would those 2 things make it so I couldn't even give the car gas with out it dieing?... </TD></TR></TABLE>

After reading that i suggest if you want to do this yourself have someone help you. I know theres a few shops in Phenoix, like Full Race that could fix this for you, if you dont want to do it yourself. But expect to pay for the work. That CPS sensor will give you these problems.

If you could do a compression test and see what numbers you get. That will help you more with if you have a bent valve or anything.

From what it sounds like from what the honda guy reported your going to need a new harness because yours sounds hacked up. First off though, check your codes, it could be alot worse.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You have that blue plug, its up higher and covered in a green rubber holder. It will give you a good idea where to start. Either way you could go to autozone and get a code reader to read the code.

After reading that i suggest if you want to do this yourself have someone help you. I know theres a few shops in Phenoix, like Full Race that could fix this for you, if you dont want to do it yourself. But expect to pay for the work. That CPS sensor will give you these problems.

If you could do a compression test and see what numbers you get. That will help you more with if you have a bent valve or anything.

From what it sounds like from what the honda guy reported your going to need a new harness because yours sounds hacked up. First off though, check your codes, it could be alot worse. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Im going to ask around and see if I can get some thing to do a compression test so I can rule out any thing with the head...
I don't think its hacked up I just think there was some stuff that the ex had that the si didnt...The only things that have been cut on it that I know of was what he did and the Crank Position Sensor...
Think you could give me a idea were that CPS sensor is?...
Old 02-09-2006, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I dont have a picture or anything but if you look down at your crank pully youll see a little sensor type hanging there. Thats the sensor.

Theres no reason he should have hacked up that harness though. If the harness was 00 then it should have been plug and play.

Quick Reply: HELP!!..Not even honda can fix this thing! Please help me out..Let me know what you think...