Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help needed to prepare interior of doors for paint? **Pic inside**

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed to prepare interior of doors for paint? **Pic inside**

The helms doesn't show how to break the door down after the plastic covering that I have removed.

1) How easy is it to remove and reinstall the black rubber seal that outlines the door?

2) Is there anything to worry about with the 2 metal bars for the lock and handle? Pretty easy to remove?

I didn't even see torque specs to reinstall the doors in the Helms. I do remember it showed how to remove the glass

I'm painting my interior (doors are off) and trying to figure out the best way to go about it. I'm pretty sure #2 will not be any problem once I start the disassembly, mainly worried about #1.... should I tape it off or take it off?

Thanks for any advice or help!!
Old 01-15-2007, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help needed to prepare interior of doors for paint? **Pic inside** (Hybrid93Hatch)

To respond to your first question, it should just "clip" on the entire way around the door. The rubber should have a small "slit" in it and just come off, you should be able to just pop it back on.

#2 response: just remember how and where each of the metal barts go on, they should unclip from the plastic holding things on the middle of the door and then slide on/off at an angle on each end...or you could just remove the door handle/lock assembly (the one on the inside of the car) and just paint the rods themselves just making sure they don't stick to the retaining areas.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Help needed to prepare interior of doors for paint? **Pic inside** (bart2546)

to remove the lock and handle without damaging them or the bars do this.

on the lock, there is a pin...push the three ends on the bottom of the pin together and push it out the top.

that bar will come loose.

now undo the two screws that hold the handle on. then disconnec the bar from that.

then just paint over the bars, or if you dont want to...wait for someone else to tell you have to undo them.

easy as pie
Old 01-15-2007, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Help needed to prepare interior of doors for paint? **Pic inside** (92ehatch)

i don't own an EG but i just did this to my ED.

unscrew the part that hits the striker with a #3 phillips bit. remove the inside handle with a phillips screwdriver. unbolt the outer door handles. inner/outer handles and latch can now be slid out as one piece. use needle nose pliers to remove the lock rod clips from the inside of the door. i found that twisting them from the inside 90 deg and pulling them out works well. nows a good time to replace the lock rod cushions/clips.

removing the window regs is self explanitory.

weatherstripping-basically be very careful when removing. take your time and you'll be fine.
the upper two pieces of weather stripping (between roof and door/around the window) are pressed into a channel. simply pick an end and slowly peel it off. the largest piece of weatherstripping (goes around the entire perimeter of the door) is pressed in above the window and below it's secured with banana clips. The banana clips have the potential to ruin the weatherstipping. you'll need to hold the weatherstripping with one hand and "stretch" it with the other to clear the banana clips. i went to the junkyard and practiced before attempting this on my car. overall it's pretty easy to strip the door.

if you remove the hinges, take a few minutes and reposition the detent rods.

before

after

i'll post torque specs and pics of the banana clips later . hope that helped and good luck.

Modified by eda6 at 10:41 PM 1/15/2007
Old 01-15-2007, 06:29 PM

This is good information. I never knew myself how to completely take apart the interior of the door.

For the users that posted VERY helpful information/responses and pictures.