Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help needed in Orange County area

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed in Orange County area

Hey guys, I just started my spring break this week. So, I wanted to address some issues with my civic while I have the time.
Since I have no tools specifically for wrenching, I need the assistance of some awesome H-t members willing to lend a hand.

I just recently replaced my timing belt (also with the help of a generous H-T member) but since the install i've had this nagging belt squeek, which I thought would go away but hasn't. So, is anyone available in this week, (I DON"T CARE WHAT TIME) to help me out get rid of this noise by tightening up the timing belt or whatever belt that is causing the squeek (but i'm sure it's the timing belt).

Also, I have a new fuel filter and a new header that I would like to install. These aren't that necesarry, but would be awesome if we could get those in as well. Although, not a requirement. So if you just want to help me with the belt noise that would be just fine.

Thanks in advance for anyone who wants to lend a hand to a fellow H-T member.

Last edited by .Slug; 11-15-2022 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

spray some WD40 on the belt and run the car..see if that helps
Old 03-25-2007, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (bsixteen)

If you need work done we could do it. Send me a PM if your interested, but if you were able to do a timing belt job yourself you should beable to adjust a squeeky belt. and install a header.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you need work done we could do it. Send me a PM if your interested, but if you were able to do a timing belt job yourself you should beable to adjust a squeeky belt. and install a header. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yah i can, but need the tools, and it's always easier with four hands instead of two you know? If i had the tools i would prolly do it myself. I can't afford to buy tools because i'm a full time student and only work on the weekends and that money goes to bills pretty much. I have a service manual also, so it's not like i would have trouble. just don't have the resources.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bsixteen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">spray some WD40 on the belt and run the car..see if that helps</TD></TR></TABLE>

won't that go all over the place and be potentially bad for other moving parts in the car and such?
Old 03-25-2007, 11:38 PM

T

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Oprah's Minge)

DO NOT spray WD40, it eats up inside of belt and pulleys. If you want to pinpoint noise safely id suggest getting a 3 inch or so piece of chalk and run the car and hold it safely against belt while cars running on the top area of the belt and then underneath the belt on the underside of the vehicle. Do this to each belt but give enough time in between each belt to pinpoint which one it is. If done correctly the noise will dissappear and that will tell you thats the squecking belt. SAFE for engine, belts, pulleys and takes a minute to do. Hope this helped. Also pick up a repair manual read it and you shall gain knowledge. GOOD LUCK
Old 03-26-2007, 01:23 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

So. You've got a squeeky belt, fuel filter and a header.

I've got a new shop that may need some graphic work.

Maybe we can talk.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jeef84)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jeef84 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So. You've got a squeeky belt, fuel filter and a header.

I've got a new shop that may need some graphic work.

Maybe we can talk. </TD></TR></TABLE>

oh for sure!
Old 03-27-2007, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

chalk on the outside of the belt will help it stop squealing? explain
Old 03-31-2007, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

combustion contraption (steve) and I took a look at it today. we loosened and tightened up the belts. It made the sound much more quiet but still makes some squeeky madness. Next up I will just try to replace all the belts. If the squeek is still there after that it probably is the tensioner pulley bearing or something like that and i'll replace that. we'll see what happens.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:03 PM

A low buck fix would be some belt dressing...
Old 03-31-2007, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Oprah’s Minge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I can't afford to buy tools because i'm a full time student and only work on the weekends and that money goes to bills pretty much.</TD></TR></TABLE>

dont make excuses, we've all been poor *** college students.. j/k

this is what i do and till this day continue to do with tools i need and do not want to keep.

go to sears get the tools you need, put it on credit. use the tools, dont throw them on the ground and wipe them clean after, then return a couple to one store, other tools to another and so on til they are all returned...(depends on how many tools)

its ghetto, but hey if they accept returns then why not take advantage of the service.

my last return was 3 plumber wrenches, 2 sockets, and breaker bar.

good luck and think out the box
Old 03-31-2007, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sometimes if your timing belt is too tight it makes some squeeky noice. Try checking that.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jeanious)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jeanious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sometimes if your timing belt is too tight it makes some squeeky noice. Try checking that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Its not the timing belt. Timing belts whine.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Combustion Contraption)

If you guys still havent figured it out and want an extra set of eyes you could bring it up to me and ill take a look at it.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you guys still havent figured it out and want an extra set of eyes you could bring it up to me and ill take a look at it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Th belts have 133xxx miles on them. They all have adequate tension, and the belt dressing only works for 30 seconds to a minute. The belts need to be replaced, if not for the noise, just for the fact that it would be better to replace them now, than for one to snap on you while youre on the freeway. He left with it much quieter than when he showed up, but its just a band aid.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Luserkid, that reply wasnt meant to be a dickheaded response toward you. Rereading it, it sounds a little harsh.

Maybe the OP should try using that 'blue magic' stuff that he used on his headlights to straighten out the belt situation.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Combustion Contraption)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Combustion Contraption &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Luserkid, that reply wasnt meant to be a dickheaded response toward you. Rereading it, it sounds a little harsh. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Alls good, it was straight to the point and thats fine.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Combustion Contraption &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Maybe the OP should try using that 'blue magic' stuff that he used on his headlights to straighten out the belt situation.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ROLF yah seriously. That stuff does wonders.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you guys still havent figured it out and want an extra set of eyes you could bring it up to me and ill take a look at it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks a bunch for the offer

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chim Chim &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A low buck fix would be some belt dressing...</TD></TR></TABLE>

was considering this option tonight actually. But I think i'm going to replace the belts first since they do have over 100 grand in miles on them and when we took them off doing the timing belt (should have replaced them then, i know) they looked cracked and beat to hell.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cxSHOE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
go to sears get the tools you need, put it on credit. use the tools, dont throw them on the ground and wipe them clean after, then return a couple to one store, other tools to another and so on til they are all returned...(depends on how many tools)

its ghetto, but hey if they accept returns then why not take advantage of the service.

my last return was 3 plumber wrenches, 2 sockets, and breaker bar.

good luck and think out the box </TD></TR></TABLE>

that sounds like a great idea. Does sears always take them back or am I going to have to argue with the customer service person a little bit?