Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help needed on 95 Civic Prob.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed on 95 Civic Prob.

Well I was driving down the highway yesterday and all of the sudden my temp guage skyrocketed and my cab started to fill with what looked like white smoke, but now I'm fairly sure it was steam. I had to drive about a mile and I got off the highway. My top radiator hose split right down the middle. I locked/parked it for the night and replaced the hose and coolant this morning. I started it up, and it now has this high pitched squeeling noise from the engine. It eventualy goes away after about 5 miles, but I seem to notice a loss of power in my lower RPM's. Up to about 2800 RPM the engine kind of stutters and pops, but when it hits past that it just kicks in normal. It also seems like there is a lot of small metal flake in my oil (just from checking the dip stick). Anyone know what is wrong with my car? It's a 1995 Civic EX (D16Z6). Thanks in advance.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:00 PM

Default Re: Help needed on 95 Civic Prob. (LorenGeist)

Sounds like when it overheated it may have damaged a bearing. You'll need to drop the oil pan to confirm. Don't drive the car until you find out for sure where the maetal flakes are coming from. Metal flake = bad ..... Sorry!
Old 08-13-2004, 06:18 PM

Yeah, metal flake is never good... Could the piston rings or something have gotton messed up because it got so hot? Or some of the crank shaft bearings? And any ideas on the mystery noise?
Old 08-13-2004, 06:51 PM

Default Re: (LorenGeist)

I doubt the rings are causing the metal flakes. Blue smoke out the back end would indicate a ring problem. Has there been any? The crank bearings were the ones I was refering to and I'd say its the source of the squeeling, etc.........
Old 08-13-2004, 07:03 PM

Default Re: (Islandspeed)

next time when the temp does that...turn it off right away man before stuff like this happens hope everything works out
Old 08-13-2004, 08:47 PM

Default Re: (gezer)

Yes, but I really wanted to get off of the freeway and to a spot where I could park it and leave it over night if needed. It seems like every car around here that is left on the highway for even just one day gets vandalized and things get stolen.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:25 AM

Default Re: (LorenGeist)

bump
Old 08-14-2004, 02:59 AM

ok it's a blowen head gasket, the same thing happend to me, when you over heat your car like that, the risk of blowen a head gasket goes way up, and the lag that you feel at low RPM's, it's the blowen head gasket, one way to tell is the check your oil, and to see if it's milky color, and the other way to tell is to check your coolent, but if both show no signs, that don't mean that you don't have a blown head gasket, look for laeks around the base of the head, and try going up on a up hill, in low gear, and get those rpms up there, but before you do this check your coolent and top it off, must be on a hot day too, after you do some up hill in the heat, check your radiator, but becareful, not to burn your self, if it's low, on coolent, then you have a blowen head gasket, good luck
Old 08-14-2004, 04:52 AM

Default Re: Help needed on 95 Civic Prob. (civtegra_hybrid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civtegra_hybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok it's a blowen head gasket, the same thing happend to me, when you over heat your car like that, the risk of blowen a head gasket goes way up, and the lag that you feel at low RPM's, it's the blowen head gasket, one way to tell is the check your oil, and to see if it's milky color, and the other way to tell is to check your coolent, but if both show no signs, that don't mean that you don't have a blown head gasket, look for laeks around the base of the head, and try going up on a up hill, in low gear, and get those rpms up there, but before you do this check your coolent and top it off, must be on a hot day too, after you do some up hill in the heat, check your radiator, but becareful, not to burn your self, if it's low, on coolent, then you have a blowen head gasket, good luck</TD></TR></TABLE>

Bad advise ... Don't go anywhere in thar car until you find out where the metal is comming from. If there is a blown head gasket that's secondary to the metal flake in the engine. Is there white smoke comming out of the exhaust while driving? If so then there's a "possible" head gasket problem.
Old 08-14-2004, 09:01 PM

Default Re: Help needed on 95 Civic Prob. (Islandspeed)

Islandspeed, one of the things that first came to mind about the head gasket thing was to check for white smoke, and I am not seeing any while driving, but there may be a little that someone else will have to look at from behind me. Civtegra- I appreciate the advice, but before I really do any "driving tests" I think I should def. change the oil a couple times and mabey try to find a magnetic drain plug or something to try to eliminate the metal flake floating around in my engine.
Old 08-15-2004, 04:06 AM

bump this **** yo