Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help! MY swap is f*cking SLOW!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help! MY swap is f*cking SLOW!

well like 6 months back i bought a 96 honda civic dx with a GSR swap in it, dude said it was a 95 motor but then the head says 93 but its a B18C1 block? don't know what year the block is for sure. it was an automatic converted to manual. it came with dc sport headers, and a cheap ebay intake. time to go to the track Come to find out my **** was slow as hell. i ran a 15.6 at best. then ended up putting MSD in it and took it to the track again...and disappointment was all i got...it was worse than before. the best time i ran was a 16.1. it could of been because i was bouncing the rev limit like all the time for the good month that i had the MSD in before i actually took it to the track. but i thought that's what it was for. anyways, i decided to swap the motor out with my old GSR motor out of my 98 teggie that my brother crashed. its much faster than the first GSR that was in there but it still slow as hell. I've been trying to figure out what's wrong but i cant seem to figure it out. it's got a re-wired dx harness for v-tec. i took the MSD off. i got new plugs and wires. changed the rotor on the dizzy. and cant find SHIIIIIIIT! I NEED HELP!!!!
Old 11-19-2007, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Done a compression test? Leakdown test? Driver test? What tranny? And just for future reference, the solution if you think there's an issue isn't to add more parts, it's to figure out wtf is wrong.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:16 AM

Default Re: Help! MY swap is f*cking SLOW! (SL0-hatch)

does it have any suspension work to it? have you tuned the ecu and done the necessary maintanence. do you have extra weight in the car that isnt needed? it could many other things.........
Old 11-19-2007, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (csulliva)

What's your timing at? Are you blowing smoke, burning oil?
Old 11-19-2007, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (csulliva)

haven't done a leakdown test or compression test yet but planning on it. umm...driver test? don't know what that is but if its my skill on driving they aren't bad...actually pretty good. and the the suspension is KYB AGX's and H&R springs. not tuned and no extra weight. not blowing smoke or burning oil either!
Old 11-19-2007, 10:00 AM

driver upgrade?
Old 11-19-2007, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SL0-hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well like 6 months back i bought a 96 honda civic dx with a GSR swap in it, dude said it was a 95 motor but then the head says 93 but its a B18C1 block? don't know what year the block is for sure. it was an automatic converted to manual. it came with dc sport headers, and a cheap ebay intake. time to go to the track Come to find out my **** was slow as hell. i ran a 15.6 at best. then ended up putting MSD in it and took it to the track again...and disappointment was all i got...it was worse than before. the best time i ran was a 16.1. it could of been because i was bouncing the rev limit like all the time for the good month that i had the MSD in before i actually took it to the track. but i thought that's what it was for. anyways, i decided to swap the motor out with my old GSR motor out of my 98 teggie that my brother crashed. its much faster than the first GSR that was in there but it still slow as hell. I've been trying to figure out what's wrong but i cant seem to figure it out. it's got a re-wired dx harness for v-tec. i took the MSD off. i got new plugs and wires. changed the rotor on the dizzy. and cant find SHIIIIIIIT! I NEED HELP!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>
Thats not what its for. It just makes you look like a ricer when your running around town bouncing it off the rev limiter.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by platinumx6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">driver upgrade?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Possibility.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im confused as to how you think a MSD allows you to freely bounce on the rev limiter with no problems.

What ecu are you running?
Old 11-19-2007, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help! MY swap is f*cking SLOW! (Taimaishui14)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Taimaishui14 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Thats not what its for. It just makes you look like a ricer when your running around town bouncing it off the rev limiter.

Possibility.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ummm....i know its not for that but it sounded f*cking awesome. and i shut some f*cking haters down who thought there shiiit sounded "badass"! lol!!!!!

and ummm...driver upgrade is definitely not the problem here....you guys do know that "i live my life a 1/4 mile at a time!" lol!!!
Old 11-19-2007, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (posHonda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by posHonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im confused as to how you think a MSD allows you to freely bounce on the rev limiter with no problems.

What ecu are you running? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I know it doesn't but i just got carried away with it...but i don't do it anymore on the new swap...but its still slow. i'm running a obd-2 P72(GSR) ecu!
Old 11-19-2007, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (SL0-hatch)

what a piece. trash it.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mormonboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mormonboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what a piece. trash it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i'm getting to that point!
Old 11-19-2007, 10:50 AM

Default Re: (SL0-hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SL0-hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i'm getting to that point!</TD></TR></TABLE>

i hope he is talking about u....telling the car to get rid of u for an upgrade like i said.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (platinumx6)

lol!!!
Old 11-19-2007, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Run all of the standard diagnostics and if things are okay then just throw the engine back in and dyno it, see what kind of numbers you put down. If they seem fishy then tear down the motor and find out what's actually going on in there.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:31 AM

Default Re: (Hardedge)

Sell it to some ricer for like 2500, then turbo a d-series
Old 11-19-2007, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

tires make a huge difference.

what wheel/tire setup do you have ?
Old 11-19-2007, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you had one motor in the chasis and it was slow, switched the motor again and it was still slow, then its a giving. chasis problem, maybe it needs tires or an alignment, something is slowing down your car, imma go with the suspension. or you must be a horrible shifter. did the motor in the teggy run good before it was in an accident?
Old 11-19-2007, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help! MY swap is f*cking SLOW! (EFLS89)

Boost it. Only jokin check compression and leakdown and if thats good then start lookin at other possibilities eventhough non after that are gonna make much difference
Old 11-19-2007, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

should run better than that. i ran a 15.6 in my LS EK hatch with SUPER bald tires and 2.5 60ft and bone stock bolt ons. my friend in his 96 4dr gsr teggy ran a 15.2 with basic boltons.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EFbomb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EFbomb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">tires make a huge difference.

what wheel/tire setup do you have ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

the first time i went i had 14" steelies with WICKED camber worned front tires, and then switched them for brand new tires on fat fives. the second time i took it to the track i had SI's on with pretty decend Falken Ziex ze512's. so its not the tires. not sure if the suspension if old or not, but it doesn't feel horribly bad. kind of bouncey but that's about it.

as for the motor that i swapped in from the teggy...it was running bad cause of an o2 sensor issue. but that's about it. and i don't think i'm a horrible shifter.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Has it been in a tune yet?
Old 11-19-2007, 02:32 PM

Default Re: (Neebs)

your car sucks TRASH IT!!! sell it to some 15 year old kid
Old 11-19-2007, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its a 93 GSR block? Shouldn't it say a B17A1.

Did you try a different ECU?
Old 11-19-2007, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Neebs)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Neebs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Has it been in a tune yet?</TD></TR></TABLE>

no it hasn't been tuned yet. and about the B17A1 GSR motor. that's what i didn't understand. cause it had to be a 94 and up GSR block with a B17 head on it.

Quick Reply: Help! MY swap is f*cking SLOW!