Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HELP!!!!! My engine damper broke

Old 01-23-2006, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!!!! My engine damper broke

So this morning I woke up and wanted to start cleaning up my engine bay (the begining of my wire tuck), and much to my suprise I found that my engine damper was broken. I was up in big bear last weekend and the roads up there suck so I think that what it might be from. But Also the bushings on my motor mounts are fucked up too. Here's what it looks like
Broken Damper

The AC mount From the top

From the bottom

Now I dont know if this has something to do with my damper breaking, but I do know I need to fix it ASAP. Do I need to get new mounts or just new bushings? I was thinking about getting some HAsport mounts, but right now Im kinda broke. So for a temporary solution can Im just gonna secure the bushing.

Now as far as that goes do I need a cherry picker to hold the motor or can I just use a jack from a sturdy spot and lift it enough to fix the bushing, any info would help, THANKS!
Old 01-23-2006, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP!!!!! My engine damper broke (JDM_Bug)

This belongs in the Hybrid forum, and to help with your q, no you don't need to support the engine when you remove that mount because it only has tension on it when the engine is under load, like acceleration, it should unbolt and fall off.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP!!!!! My engine damper broke (saywhat)

the motor needs to be jacked up to releave all weight on the mount. you can easliy do new motor mount inserts. cheap and effective. looks like they just popped out. Make sure you use window sealant( silicon sealant ) for the mount inserts. When jacking up the motor, be careful of the oil pan. Use a 2x4 or something thick enough to lift up the motor ever so slightly. Place the jack under the oil pan. be careful you don't crease in the oil pan though. Good luck man. should be an easy fix
Old 01-23-2006, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP!!!!! My engine damper broke (JayDiemB18bCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JayDiemB18bCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the motor needs to be jacked up to releave all weight on the mount. you can easliy do new motor mount inserts. cheap and effective. looks like they just popped out. Make sure you use window sealant( silicon sealant ) for the mount inserts. When jacking up the motor, be careful of the oil pan. Use a 2x4 or something thick enough to lift up the motor ever so slightly. Place the jack under the oil pan. be careful you don't crease in the oil pan though. Good luck man. should be an easy fix</TD></TR></TABLE>

I bet you $20 he doesn't have to jack the engine to remove that mount.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wouldn't it be wise to support the engine any time you remove a mount? as for the diy on the damper, there is a thread here somewhere on how to to it...just search
Old 01-23-2006, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP!!!!! My engine damper broke (pumatec8)

yup

better safe than sorry. I would support any motor while removing any mount.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JayDiemB18bCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yup

better safe than sorry. I would support any motor while removing any mount.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ugh ... if you have ever removed a b or d series engine, you know that those don't support any weight unless the car is under load like when you drive it or when you rev it, I am only talking about the AC mount and the front transmission mount that is why they are called torque mounts because when the engine torques is when they are utilized.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Should I put the 2x4 between the jack and the oil pan?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by saywhat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I bet you $20 he doesn't have to jack the engine to remove that mount.</TD></TR></TABLE>

How about I raise the jack high enough so it snug under the motor to support it just incase, but I dont actually jack it up?

Also do I use the sealant to adhere the bushing to the mount?
Old 01-23-2006, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP!!!!! My engine damper broke (JDM_Bug)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_Bug &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Should I put the 2x4 between the jack and the oil pan?

How about I raise the jack high enough so it snug under the motor to support it just incase, but I dont actually jack it up?

Also do I use the sealant to adhere the bushing to the mount?</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is fine if it makes you feel better about it, I think most people use a black urethane epoxy to secure the inserts, just make sure to impact off the 17mm or 19mm nut on the driverside of the mount first while the other 4 bolts are still mounted so that you have some leverage, then take a 14mm and loosen each bolt on the engine, you will see as soon as you do that, that the mount carries no weight when the engine is not running .
Old 01-23-2006, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont have an impact, is that the only way?

Also would regular epoxy work?

Modified by JDM_Bug at 7:20 PM 1/23/2006
Old 01-23-2006, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by saywhat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ugh ... if you have ever removed a b or d series engine....</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes, yes I have.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i agree with "saywhat"

that is a torque mount and holds no acutally motor wieght given by gravity.

those mounts dont even matter if you have stiff enough motor mounts because your motor wouldnt torque horizontally anyway...

Old 01-23-2006, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There is absolutely no reason to jack up the motor, the mount holds no weight, in fact on most older cars that have high miles on the stock mounts, right when you unbolt it from the block the whole thing will just fall out.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SOHCD16y8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHCD16y8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There is absolutely no reason to jack up the motor, the mount holds no weight, in fact on most older cars that have high miles on the stock mounts, right when you unbolt it from the block the whole thing will just fall out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

oh yea, thats a brilliant IDEA. lets unbolt all the mounts so the motor just drops on ur ***, or on the ground, damage a **** load of parts and damage some of the engine bay in the process!

WTF would you be thinking with an idea like that? Place a jack underneath or a creeper or something to wheel it out afterwords. When removing at motor it is smart to jack up the motor just a little to remove weight on the mounts to make it easier to pull or lower.

Drop a motor on the ground. hahaha
Old 01-23-2006, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JayDiemB18bCivic)

wow im glad most of these ppl on here are either magazine or computer mechanics.. THE TORQUE MOUNT SUPPORTS "0" WEIGHT OF THE MOTOR!! HENCE THE NAME ""TORQUE MOUNT"" front to rear torque transfer only
Old 01-23-2006, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civteck84)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civteck84 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow im glad most of these ppl on here are either magazine or computer mechanics.. THE TORQUE MOUNT SUPPORTS "0" WEIGHT OF THE MOTOR!! HENCE THE NAME ""TORQUE MOUNT"" front to rear torque transfer only </TD></TR></TABLE>

Finally!! someone who has removed one of these, and yes epoxy should work.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:57 PM

Default Re: (saywhat)

I've driven without the torque mount on the driverside before, was going to the junkyard anyways and i have filled in motor mounts
Old 01-23-2006, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (eXcelonTypeR)

Thanks for the help guys I got it fixed for now. Im planing on buying some new motor mounts maybe some HAsport or something like that, but for right now everything looks okay. I didnt end up using the epoxy because I wasnt sure if the 90 second (its all I had) would work that well. Im sure it wouldnt hurt to use it, but I didnt want to put the effort and have it not work at all.

And just to settle the argument, saywhat and civtek84 are right, the mount just came right off. I used the jack to support it a little but I had it off for a while and nothing happend at all.

THANKS again for your help!
Old 01-24-2006, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JayDiemB18bCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHCD16y8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There is absolutely no reason to jack up the motor, the mount holds no weight, in fact on most older cars that have high miles on the stock mounts, right when you unbolt it from the block the whole thing will just fall out.</TD></TR></TABLE>
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JayDiemB18bCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

oh yea, thats a brilliant IDEA. lets unbolt all the mounts so the motor just drops on ur ***, or on the ground, damage a **** load of parts and damage some of the engine bay in the process!

WTF would you be thinking with an idea like that? Place a jack underneath or a creeper or something to wheel it out afterwords. When removing at motor it is smart to jack up the motor just a little to remove weight on the mounts to make it easier to pull or lower.

Drop a motor on the ground. hahaha </TD></TR></TABLE>
Where did I ever say unbolt drop the engine on the ground?? I said that the mount will fall on the ground when they are old and worn out.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_Bug &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

And just to settle the argument, saywhat and civtek84 are right, the mount just came right off. I used the jack to support it a little but I had it off for a while and nothing happend at all.

THANKS again for your help! </TD></TR></TABLE>
Well I guess we know who the real bench mechanic on this forum is.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (SOHCD16y8)

I've driven without torque mounts plenty of times. My header doesnt clear it =[ and it supports no weight on the motor like many of the other people claims.