Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help my car wont go in gear **UPDATE**

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help my car wont go in gear **UPDATE**

I made a thread after I did my trans rebuild because I had trouble getting the car to go into gear. Everyone said to check my linkage and all of the shifter bushings

Turns out it wasnt that so I had to take the trans of the car and take it apart again. I take the trans apart and take everything apart and put it back together and everything spins, I can get it into gear good. (With out the cover on).

But then I put the cover back on the trans and tried to put it in gear then and it is locked out...WTF

So I pop the cover back of and magically i can get it into gear fine.

Now I need your help h-t because the second I put the trans cover on it locks itself outa gear, I dont know If it is gettitng jammed up or what but any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance
Old 06-30-2005, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

which cover are you talking about. if its the cover that goes over the main and counter shaft, then check to see if the snap ring goes into the groove on the counter shaft bearing.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (onefstek)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by onefstek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">which cover are you talking about. if its the cover that goes over the main and counter shaft, then check to see if the snap ring goes into the groove on the counter shaft bearing. </TD></TR></TABLE>
I made the same mistake when rebuilding my buddy's ITR tranny. Yup! It was the snap ring.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:42 PM

Default Re: (CivicNewbie)

Well see I dont think its the snap ring...

Because once I start to put the cover on the trans it will still go into gear, but once it has about a cenimeter left before it is all the way on it will start locking out.

So I put the cover on all the way and then I do the snap ring and still nothing. Everything works I have no flippn' idea what it could be...

Maybe the 3 arms that move up and down are getting jammed up when I try and put the cover on? Because when the cover is off when it goes in gear there is alot of play like they move back and forth side to side so when I put the cover on it gets jammed up some how?

Does it matter if it is in gear before I put the cover on?

But right now the snap ring is in place and everything is back together and I put it on the car jsut to see if it would work and I got it in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, but it took alittle effort, but I cant get 1st, 5th or rev. at all.

Any other ideas?
Old 06-30-2005, 07:45 PM

Default Re: (Honda_b16a2)

Is there anything I can look up online or look at a diagram to make sure everything is put in right ( even though I'm almost positve its right).

Its just so fustrating because this is the second time and I miss driving my baby
Old 06-30-2005, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If the snap ring was damaged while you were taking the 2 halves apart, then it will cause the exact problem that you are having. Try swapping covers with another tranny, and see if it works after you torque down the bolts.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:04 PM

Default Re: (xtremeazian)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xtremeazian &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If the snap ring was damaged while you were taking the 2 halves apart, then it will cause the exact problem that you are having. Try swapping covers with another tranny, and see if it works after you torque down the bolts. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well the snap ring is alittle bit bent but I will try it.

Also I dont know if it makes a differnece but I had trouble getting the snap ring to go back in so I called a friend and they told me to turn the tranny upside down in order for it to go into place ( the weight from the countershaft snaps it on the bearing). But I turned it upside down and vwalla..it snapped on.

Is turning it upside down a bad way to get it on?
Old 06-30-2005, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check your pm
Old 07-01-2005, 02:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Honda_b16a2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well the snap ring is alittle bit bent but I will try it.

Also I dont know if it makes a differnece but I had trouble getting the snap ring to go back in so I called a friend and they told me to turn the tranny upside down in order for it to go into place ( the weight from the countershaft snaps it on the bearing). But I turned it upside down and vwalla..it snapped on.

Is turning it upside down a bad way to get it on? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea I have a feeling the bent snap ring has a big affect on it. I used to get my snap ring in that way also. It was the only way I could.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (xtremeazian)

I had this exact same problem when I rebuilt my tranny. Turned out to be the two pieces directly above the #8 in the picture below were not lined up correctly. The teeth start out small then get bigger, then smaller again. Same thing on the collar that slips over it, the slots for the teeth are smaller then get bigger. You have to look at it for a few minutes to see it, but then it's cake after that. After that it worked fine.