Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help Me setup my N/A Motor Please.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2002, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Me setup my N/A Motor Please.

Aiight everyone I’m getting ready to plan My all motor Setup. I am by no means a n00b, I have personal built a few turbo motors (b18c1, 2 b18b/a’s and a h23aVtec Turbo motor) But I am somewhat new the N/A Word But I have done Lots and lots even tons of research so far. Once I lost interest in drag racing I gained interest in N/A power (funny how that goes huh?) So on with it

Lets see I want to go 2.0 so Let me hear some opinions on going 2.0 I can use a b20 block and fully build with bearings rods/pistons ETC ETC. Or I can Use a b18 and punch it out to 84/84.5 MM and go that route In the case of going 84.5mm what HG would I want to use? Is there and Aftermarket one with that size? The b20 HG is 84mm right? Im kinda for the b18c1 at 84.5 MM since it’s a vtec block and I wouldn’t have to drill or anything like that but then that means sending it to darton/golden and waiting god knows how long for that. So just some opinions or examples of the better setup going this route, or a better alternative to both.

The Valve train I already have everything planned so I don’t any q’s about that. But the head? I wanted to use the GSR head and intake manifold, I like the dual stage setup, it seems to make pretty good mid range punch but I guess it might choke some of the higher end stage 3 cams? In that case I could go with a pr3/skunk or Geeze/Skunk Setup.

Im planning on going about 12:1 CR or maybe a bit more depending on how much power I decide to go for.

Anyway thanks for any help in advance. No flames please if I have some things wrong or backwards.

I have read b20.net, hybrid boards, searched on this board, talked to a few Fast N/A guys so I wanted to hear what everyone on this board has to say.
Old 10-05-2002, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help Me setup my N/A Motor Please. (EneMy X)

go with cometic for the head gasket.
http://www.cometic.com
they make custom head gaskets...check them out...
Old 10-05-2002, 07:39 PM

Default Re: Help Me setup my N/A Motor Please. (acydphryck)

Old 10-05-2002, 08:44 PM
New User

I totally agree with you on the block situation. I would just get the 1.8 resleeved by GE or someone instead of getting the b20. Not that the crvtec cant be done correctly or anything, its just a lot less risky with the 1.8 vtec block IMHO.

As far as internals go, it all depends on how much you have to spend. Since you want to go 84mm or 84.5mm bore, none of the honda R piston lineup will work, so you'll need to go forged. I know for sure the Endyn Rollerwaves rock(wiseco pistons) and of course JE's are great. You can call Endyn or JE and they can tell you what compression and size they make for off the shelf as opposed to custom made.

As far as rods go, Eagle are the best bang for your buck. Never seen one break and theyre like 300 bucks. Cant beat that. You could go with Crower's which are awesome quality but a little pricey. Either will work great.

As far as cams, Ive been out of all motor for a few months, so I dont know what is new and what sucks. I know for sure that Toda B's and C's are good cams but some have had timing belt shredding issues. Jun 3's are really good for power up high while keeping a stock idle. I have also heard some good numbers coming from skunk2 cams too.

Just make sure you get a big *** header and tune that **** really well. Good luck, hope I helped a little.
Old 10-06-2002, 01:24 AM

Default Re: Help Me setup my N/A Motor Please. (IntegD)

Thanks for the reply Integ. I agree that starting with the Vtec block seems to be a better route. It would be simply peace of mind to have a VTEC block and Crank.

Yea I planned on running the eagle rods and probably JE's since I can get a good deal on them through my shop.

So most likely Im going to just run a 1.8 sleeved block with a full metal jacket. I think ill throw a SOHC vtec in my CX to hold me over till the all motor beast is done.

Im hoping to find me a ITR Trans but man those are $$.

Does anyone think the stock (maybe ported and smoothed) Gsr intake mainifold will choke my motor up top?

[Modified by EneMy X, 10:25 AM 10/6/2002]
Old 10-06-2002, 02:06 PM

So there is only one decent tech on this whole board? If I would have posted "Does a GSR cluster Fit in my EG" there would have been 35 reply's saying "Use the search" but When I post something I thought would get people going I get nothing oh well.
Old 10-06-2002, 04:07 PM

well man i am in the same boat as you. but i already have the ls motor. one little tip i have picked up in my research is everyone that i talk to and i mean everyone has said use the b16 head...not one person has said different. from what i understand the b16 is like a mini type r. and the gsr is just wierd i guess..haha.

as for pistons go forged..of course. i think i am going je but not totally sure. probably egale rods.
and of course the best advice to give anyone with a crvtec or lsvtec is do it right and dont cheat yourself expecially when doing the machine work.
but i am sure you know this.
just my .02

if i am wrong on anything tell me i want to know as much as i can.
peace
Old 10-06-2002, 09:01 PM
New User

Default Re: Help Me setup my N/A Motor Please. (phatcivic99)

Well, I am for sure not a tech..lol. I try to be, but usually just suck anyway.

As far as the gsr manifold goes, I think it is pretty good for midrange, but up top I personally think it will choke up the motor. It seems like the JG manifold would work really well due to the huge plenum, but I saw a dyno graph where it lost something like 8-10whp up top. I used a skunk2 on my all motor gsr, I dont exactly know how much power I gained off of it because I put a lot of other mods as well. I would stick with the single runner manifold for drag use.

B16 and Type R heads are very similar. A ported gsr head will work great, thats what I used. I never ran the car in the quarter but I dynoed at 180whp/130 tq with Type R cams and almost all honda parts.

Good luck on the quest....remember, go big for all motor. If you want a lot of power, go big.