Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help me please,.... snapping cam journal bolts

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me please,.... snapping cam journal bolts

Im tryin to put my motor back together (like Ive done several times before) and Im stuck like Chuck. Every time I try to torque down the middle bolts that hold the cam journals down(18lbs according to helms) I snap the bolt off. Ive never heard of anyone breaking the actuall bolt. Ive heard of people stripping the threads out of the holes but not braking a bolt. It makes no sense to me because it seems like the aluminum would give way before a hardened steel bolt would,... right? If you have ever had this problem before or if you have any advice, It would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Help me please,.... snapping cam journal bolts (allanonjj)

Actually happens quite often.

These bolts are to be replaces and not to be re-used. Even though everyone pretty much does, they are stretch bolts.

Are you using new bolts?

Also, torque wrenches should be re-calibrated. We do ours every 6-12 months depending on use/drop-age.

Might want to test your torque wrench or try someone elses.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I didnt know that you are supposed to replace them,... thats new to me. As far as the torque wreench goes,...I bought a new one and it seems to be working fine,... however Isnapped one of the 10mm bolts on the end off last night,... Ive done that before,... just trying to get the engine done,........ I CANT WAIT TO HAVE PATIENCE
Old 08-21-2006, 10:59 AM

it is possiable for your torque wrench to be out of spec. When not in use your suppose to back the spring off to its lowest setting or 0. I have a snap on digital torque wrench don't have to worry about that. I start from the center and work my way outwards and do it in two steps. Never ever snapped any head bolts before though.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah,... the new wrench works just fine,... The problem was that I was using a electric screw gun with the adjustable torque clutch thingy (you know, the ones that have numbers around the hand chuck) to "start" the bolts,.. Ive always done this when it comes to something like the oil pan or something with a lot of bolts/nuts that have to be started,... I usually start the bolt/nut by hand, then use the gun to get it "snug",... then use a torque wrench or whatever to tighten it. I even had the thing set on its next to lowest setting but I guess that the speed and inertia of the gun was enough to snap the little bastard,.. Oh,.. well..... Leson learned,... preshiate it

J.J.