Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help me out, unusual noise from engine maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me out, unusual noise from engine maybe?

ok, this is my first post but i have been browsing these boards for some time. im experiencing some problems on my car. and no, i didnt search because i have no idea what the problem is.

first off my car is a 1997 civic hx coupe 5speed, bought about 4 months ago put like 3200miles since then, got the spark plugs change when i got it, changed oil about 3 weeks ago, and got it checked by my uncle's friend who fixes honda cars, he said theres no problems on the car except the cat converter needs to be changed (still havent changed it though). the only mod in the car is an aem short ram, other than that its all stock.

well, today when i arrived at school, i was in the parking lot and i noticed that the tone of the car suddenly change. it became like a very loud and deep tone, kinda sound like a muscle car. and at the same time, it also make a sound like when u stick a paper on a fan. but it sounds normal when in idle, and it still drives normal. its only fucked up when im actually pressing on the gas. and it also makes the interior vibrate a little bit.

i dont see any visual problems under the hood but i think it has something to do with the engine. u guys have any ideas what the problem could be and maybe how can i get it fixed? i wanted to see some answers here on HT before i get it checked on a shop so i know what to expect.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Help me out, unusual noise from engine maybe? (slipnslide)

how fast were you going?
Old 10-24-2005, 01:04 PM

Cracked exhaust manifold???

Check the exhaust from the block all the way to back of the car...

Check your sparkplugs and make sure they are tightened properly...

Make sure all of your cilinders are working...

That's it form me
Old 10-24-2005, 01:05 PM

have the cat replaced c if u notice a difference, sounds like maybe the insides of the cat r starting to fall apart, bump for more input
Old 10-24-2005, 05:00 PM

Default Re: Help me out, unusual noise from engine maybe? (G2 Speed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by G2 Speed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how fast were you going?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i wasnt going fast at all, going to school i was below 45 all the time and theres always traffic going there, when i was in the parking lot where i started to notice it i was prolly going no more than 15.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Civicse &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">have the cat replaced c if u notice a difference, sounds like maybe the insides of the cat r starting to fall apart, bump for more input </TD></TR></TABLE>

yes they have fallen apart, its been rattling since i got it actually, i would have to definitely get it replaced soon.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KKVTi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Cracked exhaust manifold???

Check the exhaust from the block all the way to back of the car...

Check your sparkplugs and make sure they are tightened properly...

Make sure all of your cilinders are working...

That's it form me </TD></TR></TABLE>

hmm ill check the exhaust and sparkplugs tommorow since its already dark. how do u check the cylinders? do u have to pop it open? and i went back to check the car and i heard these bubble popping sounds on the engine. more input please, thanks.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:56 AM

You can check the cilinders by listening how the engine works... if the engine bogs and sound is similar to lawn-mover your car probably works on 3 or less cil.

The engine must rev smoothly...

Check your exhaust and spark plugs, I doubt it's the cilinders...

You can also do a compression test...