HELP ME.....with my B18c!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 10:14 AM
AMG
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HELP ME.....with my B18c! *NEW UPDATE*

Ok so here's the deal:

I have a jdm gsr motor in my 93 hatch that runs great. However, today when I started it at school, the revs went to like 1400 and then dropped to a stall. I was like wtf?

So I waited and tried it again. It just turned. So I gave it a couple of minutes and tried again. This time it started, so I gave it a little gas and it was fine.

What the hell could this be? The IAC is only about 4 months old, dist. like 3 months?

To try and help you guys out or maybe confuse you more, I had problems previous to this.

About the same thing happened three months ago and no one could really figure it out. We came to teh conclusion that it was a bad coil in the dist. So we replaced it and vullah, it was fixed.

However, since then every now and then when I had tried to start it(maybe happened once a month) the engine wouldnt turn, but instead I would get this weird errrrr sound, kinda like a fire alarm comming from the left front side of my car!? What is over there that could make this sound?

I am confused and I bet you guys are too. Anyways I have a great shop that should be able to look at it today/tomorrow, but I cant get a hold of them.

Please Help

Modified by dohcVTEChatch at 1:36 PM 6/4/2004
Old 06-02-2004, 10:46 AM
AMG
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP ME.....with my B18c! (dohcVTEChatch)

Wow No one dares to try?
Old 06-02-2004, 12:32 PM
AMG
Honda-Tech Member

ok, ill guess ill try another forum
Old 06-02-2004, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

main relay?

is the errr coming from your glovebox area?
Mine is doing the same thing and I just received the relay from fedex so ill be putting it in tonite.

The car wouldnt turn over, i replaced the dist rotor, and it fired then died, etc...
I will be replacing the main relay then wires then plugs.

Ill let you know the result.

specs:
b16a
99 dx hatch
Old 06-02-2004, 12:51 PM
AMG
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP ME.....with my B18c! (mjrage)

Actually the weird thing is that it is comming from the left side, not the right? Thats why I ask what the hell could be over there?

My friend who did the install said that it might be a bad connection with one of the wires...b/c I just went out and it starts up fine, but I know it will do it again soon. It will be closer and closer when it does too.

Damn I still cant get in touch with the shop!

Anyone know if a bad connection in the wires could lead something to short out?
Old 06-02-2004, 05:00 PM
AMG
Honda-Tech Member

Modified by dohcVTEChatch at 8:55 PM 6/17/2004
Old 06-02-2004, 05:54 PM
AMG
Honda-Tech Member

Fine Fine I get the picture.......my last bump^
Old 06-02-2004, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is the gsr a obd II engine? I never had that problem with my gsr. but i do have it with my 00 si, i noticed it when i did the obdI harness on it. and it does the same sympton.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:24 PM
AMG
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP ME.....with my B18c! (Quitripin)

Damn Really....Im not alone?

No its actually obd1.

What are the symptoms you have been experiencing?

I am just wondering how they will diagnose this if it is an "on and off" type of problem.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

funny as can be. I just put a b18c in my 93 hatch and I had the same exact things happen to my car!

BUT THAT ERRRRR SOUND i ALWAYS HAD FOR SOME REASON. DOES IT WHEN i HALF WAY TURN THE KEEY WHEN STARTING...

email me at http://www.civichb@comcast.net to update me on your troubleshoot

Old 06-02-2004, 07:43 PM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: HELP ME.....with my B18c! (93Civic_hb)

how long since you did a full maintaince to the car??

i was having some problems w/ a car that i sold to a friend of mine and everything in the books i could to get it to stop dying out on her..

i ended up replacing the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, put some injector cleaner in it, checked the iacv by spraying some carb cleaner on it, i checked the timing and set it perfectly.. and adjusted the idle a bit and it has NOT done it since at all.. im pretty sure the problem was the cap and rotor b/c i never replaced these parts before at all..
Old 06-02-2004, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

for everyone who doesnt know, walla/vullah/wah-lah, is spelled "voila"
Old 06-02-2004, 07:48 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93Civic_hb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">BUT THAT ERRRRR SOUND i ALWAYS HAD FOR SOME REASON. DOES IT WHEN i HALF WAY TURN THE KEEY WHEN STARTING...
</TD></TR></TABLE>
That ERRRRRRR sound is prolly your fuel pump priming.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:57 PM

Default Re: HELP ME.....with my B18c! (ABK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ABK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
That ERRRRRRR sound is prolly your fuel pump priming.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Since when is the fuel pump in the left front side of the car?
Old 06-02-2004, 10:24 PM
AMG
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93Civic_hb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">funny as can be. I just put a b18c in my 93 hatch and I had the same exact things happen to my car!

BUT THAT ERRRRR SOUND i ALWAYS HAD FOR SOME REASON. DOES IT WHEN i HALF WAY TURN THE KEEY WHEN STARTING...

email me at http://www.civichb@comcast.net to update me on your troubleshoot

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea man. Its when I turn the key halfway.

Anyways as for maintance, my car is in tip-top shape. I only say this b/c most things on my motor were purchased brand new a little less than a year ago when we did the swap. Since then I have replaced:
Brand new: Distributor
Brand New: TB
Brand New: Spark Plugs
Just had oil changed 40 miles ago.(BTW I get it changes right before 2,000 miles)

What I am trying to say is that everything on my motor is taken really good care of.

The car turns over fine, but every now and then it would do that sound really loud when I turned the key half way. Then I would try again and it would start right up?!?

I really feel that it has to do with the wiring. Anyways keep the reply's comming b/c I am a college student and cant afford to be without my car. Also, I might not be able to get it in to the shop till monday b/c they are going to some race event this weekend

-Dylan
Old 06-02-2004, 10:27 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP ME.....with my B18c! (JDM-97CX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-97CX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Since when is the fuel pump in the left front side of the car? </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's a good point
Old 06-02-2004, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP ME.....with my B18c! (ABK)

I love the katakana you have on your valve cover, it really makes the JDM stand out. Heres a bump for a fellow JDM B18c owner (Mines in a 4dr ). I hope you get your problem fixed
Old 06-02-2004, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the main relay can make the "errrrrr" sound when you try to turn the engine over and the battery is weak. check your battery, make sure it is good.

if that checks out, id check the main relay with a multimeter.

if that checks out, id prob re-solder the contacts on the pcb of the main relay or swap the whole thing out with a known good one.

Modified by tilt at 2:32 AM 6/3/2004
Old 06-02-2004, 11:18 PM

nice jap marks on the engine dont wash...
Old 06-02-2004, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

have you try to diagnostic?? Bcos my mate also have the same problem as you and i checked it, its got something wrong with the TPS..
sorry if im wrong...
Old 06-03-2004, 08:13 AM
AMG
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP ME.....with my B18c! (tilt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tilt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the main relay can make the "errrrrr" sound when you try to turn the engine over and the battery is weak. check your battery, make sure it is good.

if that checks out, id check the main relay with a multimeter.

if that checks out, id prob re-solder the contacts on the pcb of the main relay or swap the whole thing out with a known good one.

Modified by tilt at 2:32 AM 6/3/2004</TD></TR></TABLE>

BEST Info Yet! Ill keep that in mind when I talk to my guy at the shop. He is out of town so it wont be till monday. However, I have been driving it around and have had no problems since, but I know it will reoccur soon again

As for the vc, lol I tried to wash it off when we were doing the install a year ago and my friend was like, "What are you doing? Thats mad jdm YO! lol so needless to say I couldnt get it off with water, so I left it on there. Now that I look at it, I think it adds a nice touch.

BTW, anyone know what it means?

"have you try to diagnostic?? Bcos my mate also have the same problem as you and i checked it, its got something wrong with the TPS.."

Ohh and can anyone verify the TPC theory above as to a possible cause^^

I really appreciate everyone's effort on this
Old 06-04-2004, 09:35 AM
AMG
Honda-Tech Member

OK, I JUST FOUND THIS OUT TODAY!

Well, I have been driving my car since the incident and went to school this morning. Guess what? I started my car on the way out of school and it started then stalled. I tried numerous times after that and nothing.

OK so here's the really strange thing about it: I was able to start my car by reading the instrument panel!!!!!!!

You are probably confused, so let me explain. I noticed that when I turn the key all the way before starting the car, I can hear the fuel priming and see all teh lights come up. Well you know when your check engine light comes up to show it is working and then makes a quiet click when it goes off?

Well I figured out that everytime I was able to here the click when it went away, I was able to start the car, but when it just showed teh light and then went away w/out a click, it wouldnt start!?!?!?!?

It is driving me insane! My firends think its my distributor, but that has been replace with a new one from acura a little more than a year ago! Anyone know what this pehnomenon could be? Also when the car is started, I do have a check engine light for the IAT(Intake Air Temp) if that helps any.
Old 06-04-2004, 10:52 AM
AMG
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dohcVTEChatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OK, I JUST FOUND THIS OUT TODAY!

Well, I have been driving my car since the incident and went to school this morning. Guess what? I started my car on the way out of school and it started then stalled. I tried numerous times after that and nothing.

OK so here's the really strange thing about it: I was able to start my car by reading the instrument panel!!!!!!!

You are probably confused, so let me explain. I noticed that when I turn the key all the way before starting the car, I can hear the fuel priming and see all teh lights come up. Well you know when your check engine light comes up to show it is working and then makes a quiet click when it goes off?

Well I figured out that everytime I was able to here the click when it went away, I was able to start the car, but when it just showed teh light and then went away w/out a click, it wouldnt start!?!?!?!?

It is driving me insane! My firends think its my distributor, but that has been replace with a new one from acura a little more than a year ago! Anyone know what this pehnomenon could be? Also when the car is started, I do have a check engine light for the IAT(Intake Air Temp) if that helps any. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Could it be my IAT engine light b/c in the helms it states that it uses temp. info. for fuel flow, ignition timing, and EGR system operation?
Old 06-04-2004, 01:19 PM
AMG
Honda-Tech Member

No ideas......ok nevermind
Old 06-04-2004, 02:44 PM
AMG
Honda-Tech Member

This is to those having the same problem:

Courtesy of tgreaves via tech forum:

The click that you hear is the main relay engauging and priming the fuel system.. If you dont hear the click that means that the main relay didnt engauge and didnt prime the system..
This happend to me except I would sometimes hear the main relay click and then go off but when I tried to start it, it wouldnt start because while I was cranking the main relay didnt engauge then.. This is probably what is causing your car to start and then stall since it primed the system and then when you cranked and started the car it didnt engauge again to keep the fuel pump running thus you run for a second or two while the engine uses the fuel that is in the system from when it was primed..

Until I fixed the relay the way that I got around it was to turn the key on and off until I heard the fuel pump priming and then immediatly start the car without waiting until the relay clicked off and the check engine light went off..

Another way you can bypass this to see if it is the main relay causing problems is run a jumper wire between pins 1 and 7 on the main relay.. This will cause the fuel pump to keep running all the time and should start perfect every time.. Although dont leave it jumped when you not in your car because it will kill the battery..

Let me know if none of this makes sense or if you need more info..

The Tech Forum kicks ***!