Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help me get this bish' started...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me get this bish' started...

So heres the quick rundown..

Just put a new rebuilt 95 GSR motor in a 93 Si. Got everything bolted down and filled up, and she started up on the first shot.

Because of what i thought was was some mixed up vaccum lines there was what sounded like a vaccum leak after it ran for about a minute. It almost sounded kind of shaky. So I thought I may have criss crossed & plugged the TPS & Maps in the wrong spots. I unplugged them while the car was running, and switched them. The car really bogged so I switched them back and decided to shut it down for a minute to button up a few things.

So upon shutting it down, I:
-bled the slave cylinder (clutch pedal was on the floor before this).
-did a compression check in all cylinders (all was perfect).
-checked all the spark plugs.
-adjusted the throttle cable.
-re-checked my fluids.
-checked all my vaccum lines, and all seemed to check out.

.. & went to start it up again & roll it out, and she turns over great, but wouldnt start.

So heres what ive done so far:
-Checked to see if im getting spark.
Pulled each plug wire, put a plug in it, and watched it go. Everything looks great.. ive got strong spark on all 4.

-Checked to see if Im getting fuel.
The fuel pump primes, ive got good fuel presure -45-48psi (theres a guage on the filter), replaced the fuel filter, and I pulled the injectors and was getting fuel.

-Checked timing.
Nothing slipped, and everything lines up perfect.

-Checked all my grounds.
ECU, valve cover, & tranny side grounds are all good.

-Checked to see if anything came unplugged.. and all is well.

-Checked all my fuses.. thought maybe had a bad ecu fuse or something. Everything checked out. I replaced the ecu fuse anyways.

-Changed spark plugs, and made sure they were all gapped right.

-Changed ecu's.

edit: also.. as a side note, I replaced the Main relay less than 2 weeks before I tore the old motor out.. so its new.

Cant think of anything else right this second, but im sure ive done more. But at this point, I wanna beat my head into a wall because it wont start.

So.. if you think you've got some, gimme some ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Modified by EgSalad at 8:47 PM 8/31/2005
Old 08-31-2005, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help me get this bish' started... (EgSalad)

wow you've tried alot of things i would have done too...can't think of much hehe.

spark plugs in the right order?

EDIT: forgot, you have good fuel pressure....
Old 08-31-2005, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also.. just read through B18C5-EH2's "Summer is in full swing" post and everything checks out.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EgSalad)

Have you tried starting it with the TPS and MAP sensor disconnected? Because it should if nothing else is wrong. You'll just throw 2 codes.

I initially thought he shorted out the TPS or MAP sensors themselves, which is unlikely...
Old 09-01-2005, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by handa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
spark plugs in the right order?</TD></TR></TABLE>
yah. all is right.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fast88std &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Have you tried starting it with the TPS and MAP sensor disconnected? Because it should if nothing else is wrong. You'll just throw 2 codes.

I initially thought he shorted out the TPS or MAP sensors themselves, which is unlikely...</TD></TR></TABLE>
I havent tried starting it without them plugged in yet.. ill try it when I get home from work. Also.. havent checked out what circuits those sensors are on. Anybody know off hand if they ground to the where the ecu grounds?.. by the water neck?
Old 09-01-2005, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

unplugged both and still wont start.

bump.. ideas anyone?
Old 09-01-2005, 10:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Has your wiring harness been cut at all??? My car wouldn't start because there were 2 ground wires missing out of 4 total for the ecu. Just a thought. I had spark and fuel without them but wouldn't start.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:54 AM

After replacing motors , because of moving around and banging exhaust systems, I have seen cats get plugged with a chunk of loose catalyst. The engine will not run with too much backpressure and will shake and sound like a big vaccum leak if it does crank. If you are getting fuel and fire then your ecu is good. You are either sucking in way to much air after the throttle plate(major vaccum leak) or your engine can't exhale. Break it loose at the exhaust manifold donut and try again.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:00 AM

Default Re: (amckee)

hey man i notice your running about 45-48lb of pressure for fuel my 98 gs-r (b18C1) is running at around 39-40 witch one is right?
Old 09-02-2005, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (Ohhenrygsr)

45-48 seems a little to high for start up. I remember when i had my motor in start up was like at 40 then when the car was on it went up. Try lowering it a little if you can.

What kind of noise is it making when you try to start?

Also you didnt mention looking at the thermostat ground, but im guessing you did that anyway.

By any chance did you take off the valve cover to change the gasket, or take off your throttle body. Also is there any codes showing? And how is the IAC?
Old 09-02-2005, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yah.. i know the fuel pressure seems high. stock is like 40ish.
If the line on the bottom of the FPR isnt airtite.. can that throw off what the FPR thinks it needs? I know that the stock hose clamp seems a little loose around it, so was going to put a different hose clamp on it. I have 2-3 other stock fpr's laying around so I can just swap it out if I need to.

As of right now, im going to take off the A pipe & cat and try to start it open header. Along with the Fuel pressure.. those are tonights projects.

Answering other questions..

-It makes the standard noises when Its turning over. no backfire, rattling, scraping, whining, or whatever else. It sounds like it wants to start.

-Yes, I checked the thermostat (ecu) grounds... one of the first things.

-No codes. and yes, i have 3 total ecu's to swap around if need be.

-Not sure about the IACV. It hasnt run long enough to see yet. It, along with the throttle body, came on the stock manifold im using.

-Yes, new valvecover & head gaskets. Also, yes I bought new seals for everything in the head... but have not taken the throttle body off. So that seal is original.

-No my wire harness is stock.. never been f'ed with. I use a stock 93 si underdash harness and a 94 del sol vtec engine bay harness.

ill keep you all posted. thanks.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update...
-Pulled the exhaust, so it would run off the header...
still didnt start.

-Figured out why I was reading so much fuel pressure at the guage (on fuel filter)...
While cranking, the guage should read about that much (helms says 48-55psi cranking). Once it starts, the FPR works on vaccum, so of course it (guage) would read at whatever the normal fuel pressure would be.. in this case, stock (39-46psi helms says running).
If the fuel return line was plugged or something going back to the tank, the guage would read about 70psi which is roughly what the fuel pump puts out.

-I didnt fry anything on the May & TPS circuits..
both still read .5 volts with is what it should be.

So... anybody else got any ideas.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

**** me in the goat ***.. I went digging through all of my **** in the garage and somehow i had an extra dizzy chillin in a box with some old dodge truck ****. slapped it on an it started no problem save still have a vaccum leak.

thanks to anybody who replied and gave a damn.