Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help Me Fix My Car

Old 03-04-2003, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Me Fix My Car

Ok, I've got a few things wrong with my car, and I have a few questions on how to fix it.

First there's the power steering pulley. I have the new one but I need to know how to get the old one off.

Pics are kinda big.

Then there's the heatshield. The part with the clamp around it is the part that rattles. I need to know how to I guess cut it off?

Then theres my trunk leaking. I didnt really know what to take pics off, but heres where the carpet is wet.

So any info would be appreciated! BTW I can take more pics if that would help.

[Modified by Stellar1, 1:57 PM 3/4/2003]

[Modified by Stellar1, 2:02 PM 3/4/2003]
Old 03-04-2003, 01:13 PM

Default Re: Help Me Fix My Car (Stellar1)

Pic 1: First, loosen all of the bolts holding the PS pump onto the bracket. Second, unscrew the tensioner until you can take off the belt. Third, disconnect all of the hoses. Lastly, Finish unscrewing the bolts that hold the pump on and remove the pump from the car.

Pic 2: Unscrew the clamp that was attached there. Then unscrew all of the bolts that bolt the heatshield together. Finally, remove the heatshield.

Pic 3: Sorry I can't help you on this one seeing as how I have no experience with a leaky trunk.
Old 03-04-2003, 01:19 PM

Default Re: Help Me Fix My Car (89B16HB)

Pic 1: First, loosen all of the bolts holding the PS pump onto the bracket. Second, unscrew the tensioner until you can take off the belt. Third, disconnect all of the hoses. Lastly, Finish unscrewing the bolts that hold the pump on and remove the pump from the car.

Pic 2: Unscrew the clamp that was attached there. Then unscrew all of the bolts that bolt the heatshield together. Finally, remove the heatshield.

Pic 3: Sorry I can't help you on this one seeing as how I have no experience with a leaky trunk.

cant help either on the leaky trunk....i got a hatch that leaks now
Old 03-04-2003, 02:08 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Help Me Fix My Car (HybridHackBatch)

cant help either on the leaky trunk....i got a hatch that leaks now
My car is full of leaks. It's about to **** me off.
Old 03-04-2003, 02:55 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Help Me Fix My Car (mantic6t9)

once you get the pump out, the only way to remove the pulley is to use an impact gun to remove the pulley bolt. Then it will pop right off.

You can just cut the clamp with either a die grinder, or just use a hack saw. Don't worry about cutting through the exhaust because I doubt you will by just cutting through the clamp...lol.

The trunk...remove the carpeting, and look for wet spots. It could be leaky seals, gaskets, or trunk lid. It will be trial and error.
Old 03-04-2003, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help Me Fix My Car (Emerica)

There seems to be only wet spots on the drivers side of the trunk.
Old 03-04-2003, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1.) You may be able to remove the P/S pulley by wedging a screwdriver into one of the holes on the pulley, then as you loosten the bolt, make sure the screwdriver holds the pulley as it hits the pump body or a bracket or something. Use good judgement. I am not responsible for it if you screw up and wedge it up against a hose nipple or something.

2.) I'd remove the lower half of that exhaust shield, but I'd leave the upper half if the rattle isnt too annoying... Usually exhaust **** rusts solid. Try soaking it in WD-40 for a week, but I doubt that'll get the bolts to budge. Usually I just bend em up with a prybar or some large screwdriver and bent it back and forth till it breaks off... Leave the upper half, or else there's the slight chance you heat up your floorboard enough to ruin the carpet. I am not responsible for you parking in high crass or on some leaves and setting your car ablaze. (Although it's highly unlikely that'll happen.)

3.) I doubt your car is rusted through anywhere, so your best bet is the trunk lid seal... Remove the trunk lid recently? Then you put it back on wrong... Loosten the bolts, then retighten by hand. Slam the trunk closed, then reopen it and tighten by wrench. It'll almost always reposition the trunk lid correctly... Works on hoods too. Best bet is to wait till it's dry, then hose your car down. Then pop the trunk and see where the water came in. If you've been in a wreck, then the trunk could be slightly bent... But you haven't mentioned a wreck, so I'll assume no...Worst case then would be a new trunk seal.
Old 03-04-2003, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help Me Fix My Car (Pele)

I've never removed the trunk at all. I looked for the seal to be messed up somewhere but didn't see anything.
Old 03-04-2003, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wanna know the ghetto way to fix that rattle? Take a wire clothes hanger cut the hook off and tie around the heat shield.
Old 03-04-2003, 05:40 PM

a source of the leaking could be the seal around the taillights. If you taillights get water in them that is a definate clue. I know that the foam on the back of the tail lights fails on integras (mine did), so that could be an easy fix for you.
Old 03-04-2003, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

REMEBER that to take that pulley off it's righty to loosen and LEFTY IS TO tighten.
Old 03-04-2003, 07:17 PM

Default Re: Help Me Fix My Car (tvrsir)

REMEBER that to take that pulley off it's righty to loosen and LEFTY IS TO tighten.
Good job, not alot of people know that!