Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

help me(del sol door)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me(del sol door)

my 94 del sol has a crazy door. sometimes it will lock on its own ...or not unlock for me. only the driver side. i have to play around with the handle and they key to open my own door!!!
today was the last straw, i started the car and went to open my gate and got locked outand my spare key was in my purse in the car!!! im going nuts with this door. has this happened to anyone on HT?? does anyone have any advice for me??
Old 11-08-2006, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help me(del sol door) (1sickdelsol)

disconnect / replace the automatic lock solenoid
Old 11-08-2006, 01:31 PM

It's a '94 so I'm thinking it is still manual since that option wasn't popular until '95 and standard in '96/'97. I had a door like that in my '93 and it was also difficult at times to unlock it with a key. That turned out to a bad lock cylinder. The grease had dried out and the wafers weren't sliding and neither was the cylinder. Since the latch is connected directly to the cylinder with a rod, operation of the lock was spotty from both the inside lever and key. I disassembled the cylinder and replaced worn wafers and greased everything. It works like a charm now.

You might also look at the actual latch itself to see if the grease/lube is moist or dry.

If you have electric locks, this could still effect the functionality of your door so give it a look.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BiffStroganoffsky)

yea its manual locks....but my alarm unlocks the driver side...i dunno why it doesnt unlock the passenger side.. but lately my alarm ahs been acting up as well...and i also have to play with the handle while im trying to get in...its a big pain...
Old 11-14-2006, 10:25 PM

Default Re: (1sickdelsol) - Perhaps I have a similar problem.

Perhaps I'm having the a similar problem. I also have a 94 Honda Del Sol. A while ago I was in my car and I opened the door and then attempted to close it again. To my surprise the latch mechanism was rotated out of the way... the wrong way. I was really puzzled and somehow managed to move it into the correct position with my car key.

So now, I have the same problem, although this time it won't go into the correct position. I've taken the door panel off and can't see anything from the large openings into the door. Does anyone think I need to start taking apart the steel frame of the door?

I noticed that rotating the latch mechanism the wrong way allowed it to move. The only problem is that it now won't move back into previous incorrect position. So I thought perhaps the damn thing would keep rotating the incorrect direction, but no. The "U" groove in the plastic latch mechanism is almost 180 degrees incorrect now.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-14-2006, 10:29 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (1sickdelsol)

rock it without an alarm, or get a better one
Old 11-15-2006, 09:08 PM

Default Re: (1sickdelsol)

So I played more with my 94 del sol driver side door and found that if I take a thin screwdriver and push it downwards into the latch mechanism, the C shaped latch will move. I can then rotate it forwards into the correct state. I can now close the door. However, now the lock lever will not be budged. I experimented some more and found that if I push/rotate the C shaped latch backwards again, which is easy to do, this frees up the lock lever. Of course, in that state I can't close the door. I've done this back and forth many times and the two states are exclusive... either I have a door that can't close or I have a lock lever that will not budge.

I feel I'm closer to a solution, but I need to be able to drive my damn car.

Any luck with your door?

Cheers!
Old 11-15-2006, 10:06 PM

Default Re: help me(del sol door) (1sickdelsol)

girl with a sol take the ghetto alarm out and youll probably need a new actuator..