Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help me decide- SRI or Drop-in

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me decide- SRI or Drop-in

I am currently using a K&N panel filter in the stock d16y7 intake box. I also have a catback exhaust. I don't care much about dyno numbers, but I've noticed better throttle response throughout, as well as a small boost in mileage so far.

JHPUSA has the AEM SRI for $115 shipped- hard to ignore. I would like to hear what HT members suggest...

Save the bill for suspension goodies later, or go ahead and get the SRI? A catback and better flowing intake are the only engine mods I have planned.

What do you think? Please help me decide. Thanks!
Old 03-12-2008, 09:03 AM

Default Re: Help me decide- SRI or Drop-in (Swerv)

lol.... get on ebay and get that front mount intake system....lol
no, since you dont care about hp numbers dont waste your money. because playing with a y7 isn't going to give hp numbers over 130 unless boost is applied. or you seriously build your motor. i say wait and save your money and do a swap.
you will like it more in the long run
Old 03-12-2008, 09:07 AM
cute little bastard

Complete waste of money.

As George Costanza said "THEY'RE ALL PIPES!!! WHATS THE DIFFERENCE!?!?!?"

Get an ebay intake thats around 3"diameter + K&N filter and you're good to go.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help me decide- SRI or Drop-in (SkoundrelUSA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkoundrelUSA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Complete waste of money.

As George Costanza said "THEY'RE ALL PIPES!!! WHATS THE DIFFERENCE!?!?!?"

Get an ebay intake thats around 3"diameter + K&N filter and you're good to go.</TD></TR></TABLE>

agreed - but even that might be excessive...just put a drop in filter and call it a day
Old 03-12-2008, 09:14 AM

Yes, but the AEM system uses 2.5" piping, I believe, for the Y7. This would increase intake air velocity quite a bit over a 3" tube- which is just overkill for the Y7. I mean, what's the stock intake tube? I just looked and it may not even be 2" ID.

I think a *well designed* system would out perform the stock one, even with a high flow replacement filter...

Old 03-12-2008, 09:21 AM

Default Re: Help me decide- SRI or Drop-in (Probot)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Probot &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

agreed - but even that might be excessive...just put a drop in filter and call it a day</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Swerv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I am currently using a K&N panel filter in the stock d16y7 intake box.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 03-12-2008, 09:22 AM
cute little bastard

Either way, we're talking about a Y7 here. It still isn't gonna move lol
Old 03-12-2008, 11:13 AM

I'm on the same page with you there- I never said 'I want an intake to make my car FAST'. I am just asking for some objective opinions from people with more experience than me.

I've been researching a lot and read good reviews of the AEM SRI here-

http://www.carreview.com/cat/p....aspx

Some of them know what they're talking about, some don't. I wish everyone here on HT wasn't so one-directional about these quesitons we ask. All the threads I've found here say "just swap, noob", or "buy the ebay pipe and a k&n". I didn't list those options, because they aren't for me.

The AEM is $115, shipped. Ebay pipe and k&n with shipping from separate vendors would be close to the same...
Old 03-12-2008, 11:17 AM
cute little bastard

So what exactly is it you're trying to achieve?

Because if it is power, the cost of an AEM intake does not outweight the power gains. You are better off just using the stock pipe. And you might not be able to use the AEM on a future swap since its got that f-ed up throttle body position
Old 03-12-2008, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dude seriously just save the money until you do a swap...but if you are dead set on an intake go to autozone and make one yourself or find soemone selling one cheap...$115 can go a long way towards a new motor. just my opinion though.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:22 AM

I like my aem sri..it sounds nice but if I had to do it again I wouldnt waste the money
Old 03-12-2008, 11:48 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkoundrelUSA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So what exactly is it you're trying to achieve?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ahh, great question. Got me thinking differently now. In short, nothing really. I know that sounds stupid, but I'm really just wondering if an aftermarket intake that's designed for a vehicle will out perform the stock system.

I have a friend who's a retired mechanic and we talk about this kind of stuff a lot. His argument is usually that an auto manufacturer would have engineered this or that to perform at maximum efficiency on said application. Modifying it won't net in any gains and may even lose efficiency in certain situations. A reasonable thought.

When I look at my tiny little intake tube I can't help but wonder- shouldn't my engine be able to use more air than that? If you check AEM's site, the tube size is different for VTEC apps than non-VTEC. 2.75" and 2.5" respectively. This tells me that they know a smaller tube will have higher velocity of moving gasses than a big fat one, which is what we want on a NA application- high intake air velocity.

Also, since I've changed the exhaust it seems that adding a larger intake would benefit moreso than on a completely stock vehicle. In afterthought, what I would like to achieve is to prove all the naysayers wrong in this particular arguement. I'd like to get the intake and take everything to the dyno some day. Do some runs with the stocker, paper filter and K&N. Then swap in the SRI and see what we get. That's thinking big, because I don't have the time or money to do all that, but it would be a good experiment. All in due time.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

throw on a y8 mani and an ebay sri and call it a day...
Old 03-12-2008, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would say get the SRI. I mean really, what's $115 nowadays?

Not a big loss.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:07 AM

How about mileage? If I end up with a few extra MPG, the intake would pay itself off by the end of summer at the rate gas is going up!
Old 03-13-2008, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Swerv)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Swerv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">? If I end up with a few extra MPG, the intake would pay itself off by the end of summer at the rate gas is going up!</TD></TR></TABLE>

good point.. projected gas prices by june $4
Old 04-14-2008, 12:15 PM

Default Re: **Update**

Got my AEM SRI from JHPusa a couple weeks ago and installed it. I've been waiting to get a better feel of what's going on before posting any conclusions, so here goes-

Price paid- $115.xx shipped
Build Quality- 9/10
Fitment- 7/10
Performance- 9/10
Overall- 8.3/10

I wasn't extremely pleased with the finish and quality control of the tubing. There were little black rubber scuffs all over it out of the box- like sole streaks on a gym floor, I could rub most of them off. In one spot the finish is actually slighly damaged and is coming off- we'll see how it holds up. The intake fit as it should, but was tight to be generous. I've had to tweak, adjust and play with how it mounts to the TB, then the strut tower mount point, then the filter to keep the base of the filter from rubbing on the engine mount as well as the main coolant line that's on the other side of the filter. I may have to move that coolant line toward the driver side about an inch to be confident that the filter won't wear a hole in the radiator hose over time, because they do still touch when everything is warm and soft. The filter seems of good quality and quite durable- certainly not as delicate as the screen mesh on a K&N. This one would survive a pretty good crash before being unusable.

Okay, I'm not going to spend the time or money to dyno a y7 that's not going to gain more than 1-3 whp. That being said, there is a noticeable improvement in throttle response compared to the stock setup, with a K&N and resontator delete. Getting up to speed entering highways is less of a chore than it was with the stock box. I haven't run a full tank yet, but it does seem I'm getting slightly better mileage as well. This intake isn't as loud as I expected, which is nice.

Overall I am satisfied with my purchase. It made my car more fun to drive, as well as more efficient. This unit is also so much easier to remove and install than the stock setup. I think it's a worth while upgrade to the stock y7 setup. On a y8, or similar intake, I agree that a stock box with resonator delete and better intake arm is the way to go. I would certainly recommend the AEM SRI to y7 owners trying to get a little more grunt to the wheels. Happy driving!
Old 04-14-2008, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (mini-meEj1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mini-meEj1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

good point.. projected gas prices by june $4 </TD></TR></TABLE>

Really? Im going to buy a ten speed

I put a SRI in my y7 when i first got my car. Forget the fact how it sounds and whatever gains, which isnt anything. It just looks plain stupid on that throttle body.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ifIexplode)

I had an AEM intake on my Y7. I traded it in for a stock EX/SI intake arm and box without the snorkle set up on the bottom. It came with a paper filter.... and the gas mileage actually got better with the stock box. I dont think I'll ever go back to having an intake on any of my cars. Complete waste of money.