Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help me decide on a set of tires...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help me decide on a set of tires...

OK, so I've pretty much narrowed it down to two choices... the Dunlop DZ101's or the new azenis. I haven't spoken to anyone that has put either tire on their car, so i was hoping someone here had experience with one of them. The dunlops would obviously be the budget option, but i read some places they're really not that grippy (not that i'm gonna be in any competitions, but i want confidence...) the cheapest i found online for azenis is 375 shipped, the dunlops are just under 300 shipped. If theres another good tire somewhere within that price range that i missed, please tell me. i wanna weigh all my options before buying.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:13 AM
HT White Ops

Default Re: Help me decide on a set of tires... (boosh)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OK, so I've pretty much narrowed it down to two choices... the Dunlop DZ101's or the new azenis. I haven't spoken to anyone that has put either tire on their car, so i was hoping someone here had experience with one of them...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not sure what you mean by "new azenis" but here's my 6 month old Falken Ziex ZE-512s...

And, that's where they're gonna sit until I can buy some Pirelli P6 FourSeasons for my Si alloys - I hate Falken tires!!!

IMHO, you should go with the Dunlops! I wouldn't recommend "new azenis" to anyone...
Old 08-23-2008, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Help me decide on a set of tires... (BlackDeuceCoupe)

i have direzza's. i've never tracked my car with them so i dunno how they perform but as a street tire, no complaints really. road noise is pretty low as well.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help me decide on a set of tires... (dangthemang)

Nitton Neogens

By far the BEST tire i've ever had.

My kumhos and falkins last me around 15k each (i'm LOW)

I hated my falkins!
Old 08-23-2008, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help me decide on a set of tires... (BlackDeuceCoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlackDeuceCoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not sure what you mean by "new azenis" but here's my 6 month old Falken Ziex ZE-512s...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

The newer Azenis have a very different tread pattern compared to the old ones.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help me decide on a set of tires... (Xathine)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Xathine &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nitton Neogens

By far the BEST tire i've ever had.

My kumhos and falkins last me around 15k each (i'm LOW)

I hated my falkins!</TD></TR></TABLE>
NeoGens have a very soft sidewall, which is the last thing a fwd car needs because they push in turns already. I have the RT-615s on my car and they're a huge upgrade from whatever was on there before. I've yet to dig out of a turn or anything and they've got a couple thousand on them.

just don't skimp on tires, as they could mean the difference between stopping behind the car in front of you or under the car in front of you. i got my 215/45/16s for $440 installed, which i think is very reasonable.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help me decide on a set of tires... (hushypushy)

correct, i mean the falken RT 615s.

I'm more leaning towards the dunlops because it will be winter time before these tires go bald, so i'm worried about cold temp grip too.

4 of the neogens are even cheaper than the dunlops... thats a new option i guess too. hows the grip? road noise? wet traction?

any help is appreciated.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what about the yokohama s-drives? coming from a friend of mine who does time attack, spec driving, and professional driving instructing, he says those are probably the best 'street' tires you can get while still getting plenty of performance. excellent wet/ dry traction.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:04 AM

I agree falkens are teh suck.

My falkins were horrible.

Neo gins are where its at.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">correct, i mean the falken RT 615s.

I'm more leaning towards the dunlops because it will be winter time before these tires go bald, so i'm worried about cold temp grip too.

4 of the neogens are even cheaper than the dunlops... thats a new option i guess too. hows the grip? road noise? wet traction?

any help is appreciated.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Grip is awesome.

Road noise minimal

Traction in the rain is "okay" they arn't rain tires but they do alot better then my old kumhos / falkins

used to hydro all the time in those. now its rare with the neogens
Old 08-23-2008, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help me decide on a set of tires... (d00d)

yoko s-drives are the way to go... however don't think these will get you by in the winter.

i have yoko s-drives on my 00 si and love them... i have falken's on my 99 ctr and hate them....

however my ctr doesn't leave the garage so i can wait until they dry rot out before replacing them

go with yokos... if not yokos and you really want to splurge - get a set of michelin
Old 08-23-2008, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help me decide on a set of tires... (EK9Rider)

ive got nokian happeketta's on my civic.. really good tires... theyre above that price range though.. theyre like 130$ a piece
Old 08-23-2008, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help me decide on a set of tires... (DOUBLExDEUCEx22)

had the falkens and i have dunlop dz's now and i think the falkens made less noise, were a bit smoother but the other ones look a bit nicer and work better in the rain.... depends on weather imo if its dryer i liked the falkens but with snow and alot of rain they're not as practical for me.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:10 PM

Default Re: Help me decide on a set of tires... (DoWnfall)

i love the BFG G-Force Sports I have on my 95 coupe...they are great for spring thru fall where i live...dry traction is very good and so is wet traction. also they have a 340 tread wear rating and they are only $78.00 from Tire Rack for a 205/40/16 which i got on my coupe...
Old 08-23-2008, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help me decide on a set of tires... (groundzerocivic)

I have the Kumho Ecsta ASX's (Hey its too damn wet in WA for the ASTs ) and I really like them but I have not driven too many others. 205/40R16
Old 08-24-2008, 08:58 AM

If my opinion counts for anything i use nexen n3000 s. they are pretty much amazing. they are availible at your local tire store for like $80 a piece.
link: http://www.nexentireusa.com/ti...d=107
Old 08-24-2008, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have had both... falken were kinda shitty in the rain, traction was ...ehh ok they lasted a long time.
the dunlops were nice. by far more grip and in the rain was good to, only bad thing was i went through them in no time at all.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (civiconfire)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civiconfire &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have had both... falken were kinda shitty in the rain, traction was ...ehh ok they lasted a long time.
the dunlops were nice. by far more grip and in the rain was good to, only bad thing was i went through them in no time at all.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not sure, but I think you might have the lasting longer part backwards... My direzzas lasted longer than my rt 615's.

OP if you're not tracking the car, the dz101 is just fine, sidewalls are stiff enough for daily driving. Noise wise, I don't remember the difference between the two. But I can tell you that the direzzas has enough grip to play around with.