Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help me decide the motor to get!!! built d16y8, stock b16a3, or built b20vtec

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 02:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me decide the motor to get!!! built d16y8, stock b16a3, or built b20vtec

ok the obvious one is the b20vtec.

here are the choices and at the bottom i'll list why i am unsure which one to go with.

<U>Built D16y8</U>
‘99 d16y8, 55k since original tear-down build in '02 (all new honda stuff used, no shortcuts)
engine had 40k before it was opened for build in '02,
12.3:1 compression, tuned for 93 octane
.5mm p29 pistons and OE Honda rings
balanced to 10K by Lucas Enterprises in Cape May, NJ
block bored to accommodate 75.5mm pistons, machined by Lucas Enterprises
crank micropolished by Lucas Enterprises
y8 rods shot-peened by Lucas Enterprises
apexi 1.5mm HG, new 25k ago in '04
honda bearings, clearanced by seller
ported head w 10 thou off, done by John Lucas
stock valves w/ 3 angle Sunnen valve job by John Lucas
Crower springs and Ti retainers, installed and spec’d by Shoemaker Machine in Middle Township, NJ
Crower Stage 3 cam
AEM cam sprocket
custom-spec SMSP y8 header w/ Swaintech white lightning coating
Skunk2 manifold
GSR TB
98+ Prelude injectors (installed because it's what i had)
Si trans w/ 8lb Alu Clutch Master FW and CM Stage 1 Clutch. no grinds, but makes a whirring with the clutch pedal out (has been doing it for like two years with static progress)
comes COMPLETE with Evans-tuned Apexi Power FC stand-alone engine management

154.85 whp @7500

My biggest concern with this motor is the fact its broken 2 ring lands seperate times but the last one was about 4 years ago. So thats makes me feel a bit more comfortable.

He is looking for 1800 for the entire package. I like this deal cuz its a complete LEGIT swap, and the guy is not hiding anything. he has told me anything that has went wrong with it and even little stuff like a rounded off bolt head to a thermostat housing.

<U>Stock B16a3</U>
- B16A3 w/ 80K,
- GSR Transmission
- ACT 6 Puck Clutch
- ACT Xtreme Pressure Plate
- Lightened OEM Flywheel (11lbs)
- Autozone lifetime warranty axles
- Socketed/chipped P30 ECU & chip burner included
- NGK Plug wires
- B16A3 Throttle cable (new in package, OE honda)
- B16A3 Exhaust mani gasket (new in package, OE Honda)
- Both Radiator hoses (upper new in package, OE honda)
- VTEC Solenoid Seal (new in package, OE honda)
- Nextgear Thermoshield IM gasket (new in package)
- Golden Eagle Cam Seal (new in package)

My biggest concern with this motor is: it was turbocharged. But not for that long. Also the pressure plate and clutch is a little extreme for a NA motor.

Good part is he only wants 2300 delievered. I probably could get around 2100 for it. Also all VINs are there and its a legit motor.

Its everything i would need to put it in my car too.

<U>Built B20b</U>
b20b block (complete block)
wisco forged pistons 9.5:1 c/r
forged eagle rod
block guard
vtec oil pump and water pump
vtec girdle

b16a head with type R valve cover (complete head)
buddy club stage 3 cam shafts
golden eagle cam gears
titanium valve retainer and dual spring
type R intake manifold
venom fuel rail
aeromotive FPR
68mm throttle body port matched
ngk spark plug wires

Tranny
jdm type R tranny 4.7 final drive
type r shift linkage with short shifter

engine harness
dc 4-1 header 2.5 collector
p28 ecu with s200
axle
Act street lite flywheel
Exedy stage 1 clutch setup

built by his brother that works at a shop in Cali. JDM longblock and tranny (as i was told). would come with paperwork.

My biggest concern with this motor is: That it was built and there is no paperwork to back up the build. And that is low compression pistons and with these stock sleeves i really do not want to force induction it.

He is wanting 3800 for the total package. would come with everything i need to swap it in.

Ok well those are my choices. Its going to be for a daily driver. and perhaps a weekend autocross playa. I am liking the b20vtec but i just can't bring myself to spend almost 4k on my car at this time in life.

So what do you think?
Old 06-25-2007, 03:41 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm going with the D since I just lovem.

But the B16 looks like a nice deal. The B20, w/o the paperwork will get me paranoid. That's just me though.

Old 06-25-2007, 04:18 AM

Default Re: (Lasty K)

i would go with b16a3 just because you get the same power as the d series....but the b20 would be nice but like you said it is expensive
Old 06-25-2007, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (s4e4r4)

Actually the d16y8 has more power then the b16a3. the b16 is rated at 160 CRANK hp. the D16 is rated at 154 WHEEL horsepower.

thanks for the feedback guys.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If the b20 turns out legit, I'd say b20.

Even with a built D16, it'll still feel sloppy and sluggish under 5k RPM's.

I'm not too much of a fan of B16's since they only have what, 11 more lbs of torque over a d16? It'll still feel slow under 5k RPM's and you'd have to push it to get thru DD traffic and such.

B20/VTEC ftw. Torquey, has the power, has the short gear'd tranny. Power on demand pretty much and will feel overall more solid than when trying to drive a D/B16 thru heavy traffic.

And like you said, it's going to be for a DD. Have fun flooring your motor and going past 5K RPM's when you need the power to mow through traffic with the D/B16. With the B20, throw on A/C, leave it in 3rd or 4th, and I bet you'd still have an easier time.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:51 AM
B A N N E D

i think its funny how you guys say you have topunch it under 5,000rpms in a D series..LOL....OOKKAAYYY...funny how mine goes thru traffic 1/4 throttle fine....climb hills 1/8 throttle...Maybe because im booosted? but im not boostin when im DDriving..so wtf yall talking about???
Old 06-25-2007, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

what are your plans and goals for the motor/car? a stock unopend motor is going to be the most reliable imho. built motors are only as good as the person who put it togehter
Old 06-25-2007, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (egsleepercivic)

I looked at the D16 dyno sheets. the numbers are solid through out the entire graph. its a steady rise. nothing jumps all over.

I really have no plans. haha i'm currently deployed and have some extra loot figure now would be a nice time to get a decent motor.

I agree the motor is only as good as the person who put it together. This guy seems to know his ****. Sounds like a real good guy. I trust his build but I am just unsure if i want to spend that much money on a d-series. i would like to get a b18c1 but at the same time i really dont' want to spend to much money on my car.

When i get back i'll be going to school so itd be nice to have a little zing in a reliable ride to and from school/work.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys. Keep it coming!!

Shane
Old 06-25-2007, 10:19 AM

Default Re: (vtecn8ive)

If i were you, i would take the d series. For a built D i personally dont think its that expensive. Plus i always trust things with paperwork. At least you know whats in the motor and any quality work that has been put into it.
Thanks my honest opinion.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As much as I hate B16's, I'll have to go with the B16. The B20's hate to be revved, so I hate them. As far as Y8's go, eh, the motor can go too easily, blah .
Old 06-25-2007, 11:11 AM
B A N N E D

go with the D series...as far as dued saying the Y8 go easy??? what they blow up easy??? thast funnny...you can pretty much ask anyone whats the best thing about D series...and its their reliability...the ***** will break crap and still keep running... I had a HOLE IN MY PISTON...and mine never stopped running..LOL...Why you think they have the videos on youtube with people dumping sand water pennys and such down into the valve cover and intake and the ***** never blow up???? wide open for hour or so with sand and water...come on...dont talk crap on stuff that you dont know about....D series is low output powered compared to B series...but you sayin they break....LOL.. or they "go easy" lol...thats funnny
Old 06-25-2007, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

For the 1800-3800 can't we just toss out all 3 of the options and put a B18B1 as one? I know its not an option, but for the price of the motor and knowing that you are getting a "fresh" platform to build off its seems like a better alternative. All 3 of the motors seems to be someone else's project... just a legitimate question.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:52 PM

Default Re: Help me decide the motor to get!!! built d16y8, stock b16a3, or built b20vtec (vtecn8ive)

if you got that much money to spend get a stock type r swap for like 4k at almost any shop and then you really know how it comes and you know its legit. or you can go with a gsr swap too for like 1k less and build it to your taste.

the d16-you can spend that money yourself on a fresh build, not one that someone already smashed on it

the b16-you can get one for that price installed at almost any shop and not one that someone boosted on

the b20- build your own, its not to hard.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help me decide the motor to get!!! built d16y8, stock b16a3, or built b20vtec (ek9carlos)

Thanks for the input guys. Yeah its now more of a D16y8 or B16a3. I was liking the b20vtec but now i'm really not feeling it.

Also i was looking into Type Rs :D. haha but i just don't feel like putting 4k into my car at this time. I just want a nice little fast motor (well somewhat fast ) reliable, and will get me to work/school.

I like the d16y8 cuz its the underdog and people would not expect it to have that much power for a SOHC (i know its not a whole lot but its still good for me).

But I like the b16a3 cuz its stock and i know it'll run fine stock.

Thanks again,
shane