Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help me Decide Mini me or what....

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me Decide Mini me or what....

Ok, I have a Few Choices right now, I have a perfectly good running D16Z6 V-Tec motor that i took out cause of my Harmonic Balancer or the pulley that spins the alternator,power stering, and ac fell off and stripped pretty much i need a new crankshaft only cause of that problem it is not repairable. and the timing gear ****ed up bad.

heres my Choices.

1st- change the crankshaft and put all new bearings in. guy on here sellen me one for $55 with only timing gear. id still have to go buy a big pulley harmonic balancer.

2nd- Go to Junk yard get a D15b7 non v-tec block for $40 and replace piston rings and rod and main bearings. and put my Z6 head on it and have a mini me. this is my favorite if it actually adds power like people told me.

3rd- Get a D16Y8 Block with everything good for $150 and put my Z6 Head on it and call it a day.

I like the Mini Me The best but just want yalls oppions i want a good reliable car and i dont know if the mini me will hold together long time.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Help me Decide Mini me or what....

id prob do either 2 or 3. the calls up to u. and as far as reliability, if u build it right, using the good parts, no reason it wouldnt last a long time, but if u half *** it only expect it to last a short time
Old 03-20-2009, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The mini me is what i wanna do i was just wondering because the z6 revs to 7800 rpm and the non v tec block only revs to 7000 stock. just dont want no problems.

What the diffrence in a B7 block and a Z6 block?
Old 03-20-2009, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, which block is better a b7 or the z6 block. im reading now and people are all saying diffrent stuff. that the b7 block with the z6 head wont be as fast as a full d16z6 engine. why is this?
Old 03-20-2009, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anybody!
Old 03-21-2009, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hello
Old 03-21-2009, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't bump threads every 20 minutes. If people are going to answer, then they'll answer when they get to it. And why make more than 1 thread about the same topic? Chances are most people passed over this question, because this info has been covered a million times already.

The stock Z6 and the stock B7 rev to where they rev, because that's where they make power to. What specifically are you wanting to know about the differences between the blocks? There is quite a few differences; especially the crank (stroke), rods, pistons, etc.

What are your ultimate goals for this engine? Are you just going to drive it as-is? Are you looking for performance? If so, are you going for N/A or forced induction?

As for which block is better, it depends on what you specifically mean. For example, there are very few aftermarket companies that make aftermarket rods for the B7, and they are $700. Where for the Z6, aftermarket rods are plentiful. So in that sense, the Z6 has a slight edge (or big edge if you're looking for performance). I don't know why the B7/Z6 mini-me would have less power, it will have quite a bit higher compression over a stock Z6.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CivicSpoon
Don't bump threads every 20 minutes. If people are going to answer, then they'll answer when they get to it. And why make more than 1 thread about the same topic? Chances are most people passed over this question, because this info has been covered a million times already.

The stock Z6 and the stock B7 rev to where they rev, because that's where they make power to. What specifically are you wanting to know about the differences between the blocks? There is quite a few differences; especially the crank (stroke), rods, pistons, etc.

What are your ultimate goals for this engine? Are you just going to drive it as-is? Are you looking for performance? If so, are you going for N/A or forced induction?

As for which block is better, it depends on what you specifically mean. For example, there are very few aftermarket companies that make aftermarket rods for the B7, and they are $700. Where for the Z6, aftermarket rods are plentiful. So in that sense, the Z6 has a slight edge (or big edge if you're looking for performance). I don't know why the B7/Z6 mini-me would have less power, it will have quite a bit higher compression over a stock Z6.
Because what i had read is that the z6 full motor has more of a stroke and the b7 is less but makes up for its power lost with the higher compression.

This engine i dont plan anything but to go to work on and race and screw around a little. on the side imma turbo me a B18. but i still want the most power i can get for now. if the z6 is faster ill change the crank. if not ill just change blocks.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

From what i know now after reading a bunch of **** and if any of this is wrong plz let me know asap.

I'm gunna get a Y8 head gasket and take out the middle layer of the head gasket for higher compression.

Use a Z6 timming belt and Timing gear.

take the screw outa the center of the oil jet in the b7 block.

and another thing im wondering is why are most peoples mini mes runnin like **** and runnin lean???
Old 03-21-2009, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dude your thinking way too much...just find another stock d16z6 and call it a day
Old 03-29-2009, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, i got a D15B JDM block and i put a Y8 head gasket and z6 timing belt with the stock z6 head and z6 tranny. how is this gunna perform?
Old 03-29-2009, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh and all z6 head bolts?
Old 03-29-2009, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

'88-'95 head bolts are the same. So it depends on the year of the block. As for performance; who knows. In another one of your threads you said it's a non-vtec engine, so it's not the same D15B engine people "usually" swap in (unless someone just swapped another head on it).
Old 03-29-2009, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ya,somone else did
Old 03-29-2009, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No I meant if someone else swapped a non-vtec head onto a '92-'95 jdm d15b vtec engine. But then I re-read your other thread and noticed you said that you had the oil jet removed, so that wasn't an option.