Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help me chose the exhaust that is perfect for me...

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me chose the exhaust that is perfect for me...

Alright.. it is about time to buy me an exhaust, but I have no clue where to start, I have searched and I know all the 'good' exhaust and the exhaust that are popular.

First, I want to keep it small, and stock looking; but I don't think as far as performance wise that is a good choice. Expecially if I plan on making the car fast in the end. Seems if one day I have a high power B/K series the exhaust might keep me from making more power.

Second, I don't think I have seen any of the 'n1' style exhaust that are tucked under. It seems everyone I have seen: RSR. Skunk2, Apexi, etc.. are all about 1" from scraping the ground on a lowered hatch. I do not want to scrape my exhaust all the time. I wanna keep it looking nice.

Third, noise. I do not want it annoyingly loud... I might have to sacrafice a little noise for more power, understand that.

I think I have narrowed it down to these:

<u>RS-R Ex-Mag</u>
Pros: Quite, very tucked and clean looking
Cons: Less power, heavier

<u>RS-R GT2</u>
Pros: Straight through, light weight
Cons: Hangs low, loud

<u>Mugen twin-loop</u>
Pros: Looks good, quite
Cons: Expensive!
Not sure of: weight or power compared to others

It seems like the ExMag is my favorite for the money... but what does it weigh compared to stock and to the GTII? Will it hurt my power, or top end on a higher powered B/K series?

I am open for my options and everyones opinions.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:10 PM

Default Re: Help me chose the exhaust that is perfect for me... (s7e)

A custom mandrel-bent exhaust with magnaflow resonator and muffler is a good alternative to your choices. It sounds good (deep, not loud), looks stock, and can be tucked in pretty high. It should cost less than the bolt-ons, but that will all depend on how much the muffler shop charges.

Otherwise, I would suggest looking in the apex'i world sport cat-back system. SCC used it on their project EG civic.
Old 11-04-2003, 01:23 PM

I have the apex-i WS exhaust on my ej w/ b16, it's not much louder than stock when just cruising around, but when you really get on it, it sounds tough as hell. Also the muffler itself tucks nicely under the bumper cover, looks really clean. Get One!
Old 11-04-2003, 01:25 PM
Down Since Day 1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by s7e &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

<u>RS-R Ex-Mag</u>
Pros: Quite, very tucked and clean looking
Cons: Less power, heavier
</TD></TR></TABLE>

No doubt one of the best exhausts on the planet.
Old 11-04-2003, 01:32 PM

I love the way the WS and the Ex-Mag look.. But I think they are going to choke me on performance in the long run.
Old 11-04-2003, 01:35 PM

Default Re: (benSC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by benSC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have the apex-i WS exhaust on my ej w/ b16, it's not much louder than stock when just cruising around, but when you really get on it, it sounds tough as hell. Also the muffler itself tucks nicely under the bumper cover, looks really clean. Get One!</TD></TR></TABLE>
I agree I have the WS and love it... It dosen't turn heads when driving normally even on a b18c1. The can is the same size as the stock one, the piping is just larger. But like benSC said when you get on it, the exhaust turns from quiet to deep. Not a fart can at all. The down fall to this exhaust is possible that it dosen't add much power. Only in the midrange. (but what exhaust really adds that much power?...

Other than that I'd go with the twin loop
but $500 for an axel back twin loop
compared to $400 for a cat back WS?

choice is yours...
Old 11-04-2003, 01:50 PM

The full Comptech cat-back is a gorgeous piece. It gets my vote.
Old 11-04-2003, 02:27 PM

personally, i want the greddy evolution bc it sounds good and doesnt hang too low, a friend of mine was gonna sell me his for $300 b4 he sold his car but then he never took it off and i never got it, ive check ebay, brand new they are like $485 or so
Old 11-04-2003, 02:53 PM

Default Re: (uranazo)

mine
Old 11-04-2003, 03:06 PM

Default Re: (bigslimdog)

i'm interested in the rsr gtII, i wonder how loud it is?
Old 11-04-2003, 03:11 PM

this is just a suggestion, but you might want to look into the GReddy SP2. it has a straight through oval type muffler and the tip isn't too big, so it still looks kind of stock. my friend who works at a shop talked to GReddy for me and they told him it should be out for civics by the end of this month, that's what i'm most likely going to get.
Old 11-04-2003, 03:17 PM
Prince of Zamunda

Default Re: (EGSiX92)

Greddy, Apexi, Tanabe, or DC sports are all good choices
Old 11-04-2003, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help me chose the exhaust that is perfect for me... (Mar_EK)

My vote is for the World Sport too. However I did like the sound of my friends Greddy SP on his sentra. And now that the SP2 is out maybe they updated it and who knows, maybe it will kick *** too.
Old 11-04-2003, 03:21 PM

Default Re: Help me chose the exhaust that is perfect for me... (97DXhatch)

i had the WS on my 98 hatch and i loved it. the whole two weeks i had it.
Old 11-04-2003, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help me chose the exhaust that is perfect for me... (98civichtchback)

custom is my way to go. lots of cops around here love to pick out the flashy "big" tips, from Greddy, and others.
custom es oval, with 2.25" or 2.5" with the resonator. as much of a slepper as i can get.
BTW i had a RS*R cat back on my h22 EJ1, with NO cat, and had no problems with noise. but the big tip gave it away
Old 11-04-2003, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

apexi world sport quiet and clean and doesnt hang low at all.
Old 11-04-2003, 04:07 PM

Default Re: Help me chose the exhaust that is perfect for me... (Dj Villain)

Tanabe Super Racing Medallion

Use the silencer when you want it to be quiet.
Old 11-04-2003, 04:23 PM

Anybody know anything about the Tanabe Ultra Medallion? Are they planning to make it for the 92-95 civics? I see they have it for DC2s and other model Hondas. I love the way it looks, the canister looks smaller than the N1 style exhaust...
Old 11-04-2003, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help me chose the exhaust that is perfect for me... (SiRGodfather)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SiRGodfather &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The full Comptech cat-back is a gorgeous piece. It gets my vote.</TD></TR></TABLE>agreed....comptech makes really nice product..........magnaflow would be a good choice also for your criteria....apexi ws...........jus dont get a 5zigen like me hehe loud as fiznuk. peace
Old 11-04-2003, 05:20 PM

Default Re: Help me chose the exhaust that is perfect for me... (cccya)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cccya &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">custom is my way to go. lots of cops around here love to pick out the flashy "big" tips, from Greddy, and others.
custom es oval, with 2.25" or 2.5" with the resonator. as much of a slepper as i can get.
BTW i had a RS*R cat back on my h22 EJ1, with NO cat, and had no problems with noise. but the big tip gave it away </TD></TR></TABLE>

How much did you custom setup cost?
Old 11-04-2003, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Help me chose the exhaust that is perfect for me... (BME1986)

has anyone heard of the es n1 race muffler?
Old 11-04-2003, 05:47 PM

Ahhh yes, I remember trying to make the decision on exhaust a few months ago.

I researched and listened to several setups and decided on the Magnaflow for several reason.

1)For starters, their website is one of the most informative. http://www.magnaflow.com

2)Magnaflow is proven in the domestic muscle car market. They have been around for years and established themselves with all car types to produce power, have a good sound, built perfectly, and great customer service.

3) Price. I got my stainless cat back brand new for under $300 shipped. Much better than the $500 of something like Greddy or even more for RS*R and such.

4) When you hear the Magnaflow you will understand. It has one of the deepest mild tones. Just sounds powerfull. Not raspy or ricey at all. Can't hardly hear it over the intake.

I am extremely happy with mine. Even if price wasn't an issue I would have still chosen it, especially after I installed it and seen how perfect the fit and finish is. I've had it several months with no rattles or anything. I couldn't be happier with it. Such a nice tone for a straight through designed muffler.

A couple video clips. Right click, save as.
From a stop into 3rd gear, 4.3mb http://www.twisted-halo.com/digicam/si/thru3rd.avi

A quick rev to 5k from outside the car, 2.2mb http://www.twisted-halo.com/digicam/si/5krev.avi

A couple of the pics make it look like it hangs low but it actually hugs the undercarriage tighter than the OEM exhaust. Mine has never scraped and I sit fairly low. The header scrapes lightly on some speed bumps but thats it.

Old 11-04-2003, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the magnaflow cat-back. It didn't work out for me. It was much too loud for a daily driver, but performed well. I ended up going with the RS*R Ex-Mag, and I have been very happy with it. Very good low-end to midrange improvement. Much better for a daily driver than a straight through exhaust.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help me chose the exhaust that is perfect for me... (kommon_sense)

I like my Apexi Dunk (I don't think they even make them anymore though). It was loud with a test pipe and header, but with the turbo it has quieted down agian.
Old 11-04-2003, 07:12 PM
Down Since Day 1

I like how if there is ever an exhaust post you can ALWAYS look for the Magnaflow post by Twisted. :up:

Quick Reply: Help me chose the exhaust that is perfect for me...