Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

help just put new clutch kit in and still no better grabbing

Old 07-12-2003, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help just put new clutch kit in and still no better grabbing

ok i just bought a new clutch kit from autozone its like a stock replacement for my gsr tranny and now the gears grab worse. when i try to catch a gear it doesnt grab well it just feels like a worn clutch. my old clutch felt better. what is the break in period for clutches and also will the clutch grab better after the break in period? BTW the clutch is a semi metallic clutch not a organic. any advice please thanx
Old 07-12-2003, 05:54 PM

Default Re: help just put new clutch kit in and still no better grabbing (nextelbuddy)

how come u didnt just buy an aftermarket?? maybe they messed up and gave u one for like an ls, i heard of that happening so u might wanna make sure they gave u the right part.
sorry i kno thats not much help.
bump
Old 07-12-2003, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help just put new clutch kit in and still no better grabbing (gezer)

im really cure they gave me the right clutch. maybe because i didnt resurface my flywheel it will just take longer for the clutch disc to seat properly and grab teh right way. i guess ill get back to u guys after about 500 miles of breakin period
Old 07-12-2003, 06:35 PM

Default Re: help just put new clutch kit in and still no better grabbing (nextelbuddy)

u should have resurfaced it iam sure thats the prob. ya just get back to us
Old 07-12-2003, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: help just put new clutch kit in and still no better grabbing (gezer)

So you didn't resurface the flywheel, you bought a Autozone clutch, you didn't break it in at all, and you wonder why it's slipping?

A clutch should be broke in for about 500 miles of mostly city driving and not under full throttle, full boost shifts. Chances are you already glazed the clutch and it will never seat right. Might as well buy a aftermarket clutch and resurface the flywheel this time.

Old 07-12-2003, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help just put new clutch kit in and still no better grabbing (nsxmatt)

first of all i know lots of people that use auto zone clutch kits just cuz its not center force or act doesnt mean its not good band wagon man. second i am breaking it in i havent poped the clutch once yet and never planned on it for at least 500 miles. and 2 i had no way to resurface the flywheel on saturday at 6 at night. my only day off from work. not looking for sympathy or smart azz remarks just looking for feed back on newly installed clutch kits and what other people have expereinced diuring their first 500 miles of break in and how the clutch felt. do me a favor and never respond to any more of my posts ok thank you
Old 07-12-2003, 09:47 PM
In The Garage

well, sorry you got some bad feedback, but you do have a turbo B16A. autozone clutches will slip a little on even a stock engine. plus, you didn't re-surface the flywheel, which is probably glazed over. if these things have nothing to do with your problem, then my only other guess would be that your thrust bearing has worn away and your crankshaft has walked away from the tranny. not likely though..... good luck man. is that your eg w/ jdm itr headlights in your avatar?
Old 07-12-2003, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (22lbGS-R)

if you didn't have time to resurface the flywheel, you shoulda tried sanding the flywheel with some sand paper rather than leaving it the way it was.
Old 07-13-2003, 03:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nextelbuddy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">first of all i know lots of people that use auto zone clutch kits just cuz its not center force or act doesnt mean its not good band wagon man. second i am breaking it in i havent poped the clutch once yet and never planned on it for at least 500 miles. and 2 i had no way to resurface the flywheel on saturday at 6 at night. my only day off from work. not looking for sympathy or smart azz remarks just looking for feed back on newly installed clutch kits and what other people have expereinced diuring their first 500 miles of break in and how the clutch felt. do me a favor and never respond to any more of my posts ok thank you</TD></TR></TABLE>

Autozone clutches are junk. Plain and simple. I tried giving you advice and since it wasn't what you wanted to hear you too offense to it. Sorry the truth hurts but I told it how it is.

You always resuface a flywheel that has had a worn clutch on it before and at the very least use sandpaper and brake cleaner like was said to rough up the suface. When a clutch slips it polishes the flywheel which is called glazing. The clutch then doesn't have a rough surface to grab to. Your new clutch has a slick cheap coating on it that is mating up to your slick flywheel causing it to slip. It will never seat like this so you should start the break in period again, stay out of boost, don't "grab" gears, and hope it gets a little better.
Old 07-13-2003, 05:58 AM

Definatly let it break in some before you slamm on it. And like everyone said above if you had a smoked clutch then i would recoomend getting the flywheel resurfaced. At the very least take some fine grit sand paper and clean it up some.
Old 07-13-2003, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nema741)

thanx for teh adviuce the car is not turbo yet so im not boosting teh turbo kit is not going on till i get my hondata tuned. its just all in a little box in my garage.
Old 07-13-2003, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just replaced my clutch with a ACT HDSS a month ago. I resurfaced the flywheel, flushed the clutch fluid and drove it for 300 stop and go city miles before I started to work the car again. I don't have any problems whatsoever. I guess if you replace the clutch and follow the procedure then you shouldn't have a problem.