Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help: JDM sir cluster shows higher rpm than the orig how do I fix it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: JDM sir cluster shows higher rpm than the orig how do I fix it?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows why my jdm eg cluster is showing a higher rpm reading than my eg original cluster? Is this normal? How can I fix it? I have a 93 si hatch if that makes a diff. I tried a quick search but the 9 pages I sorted through didn't really help, but at least I know where to go to figure out the dimming situation once I get the tach working properly lol. If someone can point me in the right direction that would be great. Thanks.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help: JDM sir cluster shows higher rpm than the orig how do I fix it?

its different because the redline of the SiR is 8200 rpm and your usdm sohc is like 7000 or so, i forget.....so there is no fixing it...you either have to remember not to over-rev, which you will peg the limiter anyway, or just put a tiny piece of tape on the bezel where your redline should start....not hard at all
Old 04-18-2009, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Help: JDM sir cluster shows higher rpm than the orig how do I fix it?

Originally Posted by slvrlude
its different because the redline of the SiR is 8200 rpm and your usdm sohc is like 7000 or so, i forget.....so there is no fixing it...you either have to remember not to over-rev, which you will peg the limiter anyway, or just put a tiny piece of tape on the bezel where your redline should start....not hard at all
It shouldn't read more inaccurately than the stock one did, regardless of the redline on the tach... the redline printed on the tach is just a physical marking... the ECU and distributor cannot detect it, for they have no eyeballs.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You may have noticed its a lot dimmer than your stock cluster, thats just the way it is. Can't really fix it because it isnt adjustable on that cluster.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You might put an accurate timing light that shows rpm on it to double check.. not sure if there is anything you can do though if it is off..
Old 04-18-2009, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

did you install the JDM tach sensor(crank or cam sensor)? the cluster reads the signal sent from the sensor and is matched to that sensor. ill bet the sensor from a signal standpoint is a little different.

anyone know if its a magnetic or hall effect?
Old 04-18-2009, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RagnarX
You may have noticed its a lot dimmer than your stock cluster, thats just the way it is. Can't really fix it because it isnt adjustable on that cluster.
with a little inventivness and maybe a wiring diagram you could probably use a USDM dimmer on the JDM and get the lights where you want them.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by newtron63h
with a little inventivness and maybe a wiring diagram you could probably use a USDM dimmer on the JDM and get the lights where you want them.
Yes, true. But that would take a lot of work and know how. Most people just deal with the dimness, I haven't gotten around to fixing it myself.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:36 PM
New User

I don't think i could deal with it being any darker.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RagnarX
Yes, true. But that would take a lot of work and know how. Most people just deal with the dimness, I haven't gotten around to fixing it myself.
i wouldnt say ALOT of knowhow, some fairly basic electical knowledge shold get the job done. the dimmer is just a rheostat in the power wire.

the lights are dimmer because there is more resistance somewhere in the circuit than USDM, find out where that extra resistance is, bypass it, put in a dimmer and its done. it could be as easy as different cluster bulbs(im guessing it uses bulbs, im not familiar with that exact system) and replacing them with US bulbs.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:24 PM

wow, you got a JDM SIR cluster, and think your single cam can rev to 8200?....lol it gets the signal from the dizzy, and the only way your gonna get your single cam to rev up there is with a chipped p28. The computer doesnt adjust to the cluster if thats what you were thinking, get a b-series and your good.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats not what hes saying. hes saying that the tach doesnt read right with the new cluster(for instance it says its turing 5000 when he knows its turning 6000 or more). yeah thats right, forgot the cam signal comes from the dizzy.

im thinking you just kinda have to deal with it. google the problem, someone may have figured a way to make the cam signal match what the tach needs to work right.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B16aCRXSi
wow, you got a JDM SIR cluster, and think your single cam can rev to 8200?....lol
what a doche
Old 04-18-2009, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by soclean1k_JDM
what a doche
Hahahaha... I quoted this so editing won't get you out of this one.

If you're gonna call someone a douche, at least spell it right. Looks like you're the douche.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:26 PM

wow, you got a JDM SIR cluster, and think your single cam can rev to 8200?....lol it gets the signal from the dizzy, and the only way your gonna get your single cam to rev up there is with a chipped p28. The computer doesnt adjust to the cluster if thats what you were thinking, get a b-series and your good.
Sorry, forgot to mention that the car came with a b16 when i got it. It's also a Canadian car so not sure what other differences there are to a us version eg. The jdm tach seems to read about 500 rpms higher than the stock tach.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by newtron63h
thats not what hes saying. hes saying that the tach doesnt read right with the new cluster(for instance it says its turing 5000 when he knows its turning 6000 or more). yeah thats right, forgot the cam signal comes from the dizzy.

im thinking you just kinda have to deal with it. google the problem, someone may have figured a way to make the cam signal match what the tach needs to work right.
Yep, that's exactly what I mean. It seems to be reading about 500rpms more than it should. I guess I got to keep looking.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Or was your stock tach 500 low.... is it a static 500 rpm offset across the entire rpm range?
Old 04-19-2009, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by dmotoguy
Or was your stock tach 500 low.... is it a static 500 rpm offset across the entire rpm range?
I am pretty sure its 500 high when I am sitting at idle its around 1200-1300rpms on the jdm tach, on the stock one its around 700-800rpms. The rpm is off the entire range but I have to check to see if it stays static or if it goes down/up. I will pop the jdm back in this week and see if it stays static or not.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

WAIT, there may be hope. im not too familiar with all the honda components and swapability of jdm vs us or canadian parts. but it has a b16 in it. is it a jdm b16? if not then sounds to me like its as simple as swapping to a jdm dizzy. can anyone confirm whether this can be done? if it is a jdm b16, then i have no clue what to tell you. doesnt make any sense
Old 04-19-2009, 11:19 AM

ima douche? you sir are a ***, maybe he should have explained it a lil better, being that i have a JDM SiR II cluster in my EG6 with a JDM b16b
Old 04-19-2009, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ima douche? you sir are a ***, maybe he should have explained it a lil better, being that i have a JDM SiR II cluster in my EG6 with a JDM b16b
He did explain it pretty good. No where does it say that his motor was able to rev to 8200. And good for you, did you want a cookie?
Old 04-19-2009, 11:32 AM

Having an eg with a swap doesn't negate the fact that you can't spell and offer the OP absolutely nothing valuable. Therefore, douche.

Op, I swapped USDM Si cluster in my EK and my tach read high as well. At idle about 500 or so RPMs, then up top was closer to 1500 or more. Turns out the tachometer assembly itself was going bad.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by R666_EK
Having an eg with a swap doesn't negate the fact that you can't spell and offer the OP absolutely nothing valuable. Therefore, douche.

Op, I swapped USDM Si cluster in my EK and my tach read high as well. At idle about 500 or so RPMs, then up top was closer to 1500 or more. Turns out the tachometer assembly itself was going bad.
Just a tip... quote when you're replying to something specific in a thread.

When you don't quote and you're not replying to the first post of the thread, it is confusing as ****.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When I got a B16A in my 94 Si, my tach was way off, still is actually. When it says I'm at 7500rpm, I'm really at like 8000-8200. So your old tach may have been off and the JDM tach is where it should be.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
Just a tip... quote when you're replying to something specific in a thread.

When you don't quote and you're not replying to the first post of the thread, it is confusing as ****.
I meant to, my bad. But thats why I separated it and started again with OP.

Quick Reply: Help: JDM sir cluster shows higher rpm than the orig how do I fix it?