Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help installing REAR speakers in a 1994 Civic EX coupe

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help installing REAR speakers in a 1994 Civic EX coupe

Hey I can't figure out how to remove the rear speaker grill. Can someone help me?

Also, would I blow a speaker if I mixed the positive and negative wires up? Because I cant figure out which wire is which. Thanks guys.

Old 11-29-2005, 01:12 PM

Default Re: Help installing REAR speakers in a 1994 Civic EX coupe (WHACK EG4)

I believe the whole rear deck has to come off in the coupe, not sure though.

If you mix positive and negative on the speakers, you won't blow anything. It'll just sound like crap. To figure out which wire is which (assuming you're installing a new head unit with factory wiring), match the wires on the harness adapter to the wires on the car.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help installing REAR speakers in a 1994 Civic EX coupe (anony95ex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by anony95ex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I believe the whole rear deck has to come off in the coupe, not sure though.

If you mix positive and negative on the speakers, you won't blow anything. It'll just sound like crap. To figure out which wire is which (assuming you're installing a new head unit with factory wiring), match the wires on the harness adapter to the wires on the car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

By rear deck do you mean all the panels and all the crap?

Im not installing a head unit, just rear speakers (replacing the OEM ones)

Thanks for the reply!
Old 11-29-2005, 01:22 PM

All you gotta do is take the screws off under the speaker cover. They are in the trunk right below the portion holding the speakers, you should see the magnets to the stockies, Ive done it a bajillion times in my Ferio, it should be the same in a coupe as far as I know.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Help installing REAR speakers in a 1994 Civic EX coupe (anony95ex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by anony95ex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you mix positive and negative on the speakers, you won't blow anything. It'll just sound like crap.</TD></TR></TABLE>
^^ If the polarity is reversed the speaker will fire backwards, like instead of hitting forward, it will hit in reverse. Won't blow nothing though. Some people use this to cancel out some treble or bass.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:03 PM

Default Re: Help installing REAR speakers in a 1994 Civic EX coupe (ShadyBAB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ShadyBAB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
^^ If the polarity is reversed the speaker will fire backwards, like instead of hitting forward, it will hit in reverse. Won't blow nothing though. Some people use this to cancel out some treble or bass.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you dont buy speaker harnesses the easy way to determine which side is positive or neg is to get some like 10g speker wire and a D battery and tape 1 piece of speaker wire to each end of the terminal on the battery. be sure to mark which side is which. Now crimp on a male terminal to the other ends. Put each end on the speaker terminals and if it pops outwards you have it correct. If it pops inwards you have the polarities reversed
Old 11-29-2005, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help installing REAR speakers in a 1994 Civic EX coupe (FerioEG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FerioEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">All you gotta do is take the screws off under the speaker cover. They are in the trunk right below the portion holding the speakers, you should see the magnets to the stockies, Ive done it a bajillion times in my Ferio, it should be the same in a coupe as far as I know.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are u sure? I heard the 94 - 95 coupes are different ans u need to remove a bunch of stuff..
Old 11-29-2005, 02:19 PM

i have a 94 ex 2dr just took out the speakers last week all you have to do is take out 3 screws under the deck from the trunk they are in holes in the panel then there are 4 screws on top holding the speaker down dont break the glass the rear screws are not easy to get 2 i used the phillips adapter screw with my fingers they arent very tight good luck
Old 11-30-2005, 11:35 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WHACK EG4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Are u sure? I heard the 94 - 95 coupes are different ans u need to remove a bunch of stuff..</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blanco617 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a 94 ex 2dr just took out the speakers last week all you have to do is take out 3 screws under the deck from the trunk they are in holes in the panel then there are 4 screws on top holding the speaker down dont break the glass the rear screws are not easy to get 2 i used the phillips adapter screw with my fingers they arent very tight good luck</TD></TR></TABLE>

Guess that answers that question and removes the doubt, hope it works out, shouldnt be too hard
Let us know how it went.