Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

help installed walbro,aem fr, and aem fpr bad idle!!!!!! now aem fpr leaks.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help installed walbro,aem fr, and aem fpr bad idle!!!!!! now aem fpr leaks.

Ok... before I begin, I have already tried digging deep in the vows of the h-tech archieved forums for my search.

I have a 00 SI with a Greddy 18G Kit installed. The car ran perfect before all this b.s. I just installed a walbro 255lph pump, an aem fuel pressure regulator, and the aem rail as well (the rails no big deal I know) I throughly followed the instructions for each piece when I put it on the car. I also did purchase a fuel pressure gauge to monitor fuel pressure and did adjust it properly (roughly 40psi with vaccum line unhooked)
Now after everything was installed I started car. When it first fired up the rpm's jumped up to about 2500 and held for a few seconds then they drop back down. Next the idle attempts to go in a looping fashion between 1000-2000 rpms. The car is throwing no codes whatsoever.

So far what I have done.. I checked all the vaccum lines dozens of times. I found no leaks, nothing unhooked. I thought maybe it was the fast idle control valve or intake air control valve. The car throws no codes for them and like I said it ran fine before I put all this on it.

Any suggestions about what I could try.. Anyone ever had a problem with these products or scenerio before. I thought maybe it was the intake air control valve but I think that only kicks in once the car is warmed up. I think the one that takes control at first is the fast idle control valve.. In the hayes manual it says something about taking the intake piping off and feeling inside the throttle body before the restrictor plate there should be a hole inside of it.. It said if its vaccum there it should not be. If there is its either air in the coolant lines or a bad fast idle control valve. I done made sure all the air was out of the lines. The car is throwing no codes so I wouldnt think the fast idle control valve unit would be bad.

If anyone has any suggestions for this mess I'd appreciate it.

p.s.

Also,
I thought maybe it was my aem fpr and decided to change the orfice in it to the gold one. Followed the directions on that.. retorqued the top screws on it and reinstalled it. Now that sonva bitch leaks out the vaccum line. Damnit to hell freaking junk.. I figured with that, it is probably the **** ant o ring thats got swelled up to big or something... Seems like it just lets fuel flow out the damn vaccum line.

What could be wrong with aem fpr???? brand new! possible o ring??
Old 03-18-2004, 12:53 PM

any ideas????? bump.
Old 03-18-2004, 01:24 PM

Default Re: (Tetronious)

I've blown the AEM bolt on regulator 3 times...sounds about the same as what you're describing. I've had some bad luck with it, but I know alot of people that haven't ever had a single problem...AEM can't figure it out, I can't figure it out...and it's all with a stock pump...

Pull the top off of it, check for rips in the diaphragm, also, make sure you have the diaphragm in the right way... I am pretty sure it's rubber side down, cloth looking side up...either way, it's the side with the channel for the spring.
Old 03-18-2004, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (99blusi)

personally i hate the aem fpr. i think its crap and a waste of money. i bought a b+m fpr after my aem took a **** and its been great ever since
Old 03-18-2004, 09:15 PM

Default Re: (kyosoeg6)

damn right its a p.o.s I only had it on for a day hell not even that.. and its already acting up.. Cursed crap..
Old 03-18-2004, 09:49 PM

Default Re: (Tetronious)

I would have to Agree with AEM junk every thing that AEM sells is pretty much JUNK... i haven't found anything they make that is better that i couldn't find by other companys or make my self cheaper; in the same quality or better

if they can't answer anything about that tells you they don't care.. or don't spend any time on R&D shoot for the money you pay i hoped they would.. other words you paying for a hyped up name that is just over glamerized and your the fools that help them out... I used a B&M there 100% no problems i use Weapon R regulator there ok if you don't mind having to recheck you fuel pressure every other week the lock nut don't work very well and using LockTite helps

helpfull NOTE: ask about the product you intend to buy befor you buy..you may find out its looks better then it works out.... if it smells like poop and if looks like Gold.. its probably spray painted gold poop!!!

falkhen