Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

help, im leaning to going to the darkside. gimme some reasons to stay all motor....

Old 12-06-2002, 12:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help, im leaning to going to the darkside. gimme some reasons to stay all motor....

ok, i recently dented my dc jdm 4-1 header. this kinda bummed me out since not many decent power making header DONT hang low. except AN-R one, or the hytech/smsp ones. but those are either expensive or wont allow my AC. yes im a bitch, and i need AC. anyway i been thinking about turbo for the past few weeks and i dunno. some negatives are like possibly poor gas mileage, not being about to pass smog easily, thieves , or just that its a lot of maintenence and possibly trouble. positives are: ill be fast as **** with the turn of the boost, ill be able to play with the big boy domestics without over revving or what not, turbo is really neato , no worrying about bottoming out my downpipe.

its really not all about the header hangin low, but im just tired of squeezing the most out of my car and still just do mid 14s. right now i have a gsr dropped in my sol, with bolt ons, ctr intake cam, mugen spec ecu, vafc, still waiting to be tuned. my goal is to be able to hit 12s and yet corner with the best of them. i wanna start autocrossing or at least try. straight line speed is one thing, but knowing how to drive ur car is another.

what are ur guys views and what not? what should i go for? my former all motor choice was portflow head, JUN3 cams and valvetrain, hondata stage 2 or 3, ITR header, itr tranny or my gsr tranny with OE lsd or kaaz/quaife, and tein HA for suspension dialing in. turbo route would probably be a either a custom kit pieced together. still thinking either the carb legal greddy one with FMIC or a t3/t4 one with tubular manifold (inline pro or maxrev?). so many choices and decisions.

thanks guys

krazy

oh heres a pic of my exhaust just because. also because people will click it knowing theres a pic of something in the thread. we are all nosy by nature.

Old 12-06-2002, 12:53 AM
Banned

Default Re: help, im leaning to going to the darkside. gimme some reasons to stay all motor.... (krazy)

I say go all motor....Turbos are too hard to maintain and not as safe as all motor. Thats just my opinion.
Old 12-06-2002, 01:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help, im leaning to going to the darkside. gimme some reasons to stay all motor.... (krazy)

granted, your car would haul, you seem to really be into corners. so i propose i different option:

instead of spending a big chunk o change on the car, do what it takes to make it track safe, and spend the rest of your money/time doing HPDE's and sanctioned racing events.

it just seems like you would rather have a fun time driving a course than rocketing down the strip. maybe i am wrong.

Old 12-06-2002, 05:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

boost it.

Old 12-06-2002, 05:10 AM

Default Re: help, im leaning to going to the darkside. gimme some reasons to stay all motor.... (Doctor Cort

boost it.

enter the darkside man....
Old 12-06-2002, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I say stay all-motor.

You'll get "the money....and the respect."

Hehe...Turbo may be faster, but I think all-motor is more impressive.
Old 12-06-2002, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

****, if you have the money than boost the bitch. Unless you are professionally racing then there is no reason to worry about what catagory you fall under (all-motor, etc.), unless you hang out with a bunch of all-motor snobs. I might boost my B20VTEC down the road, but I don't want to risk it now with the compression I will be running.
Old 12-06-2002, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help, im leaning to going to the darkside. gimme some reasons to stay all motor.... (DevinW)

you wanna get respect or go fast ?
Old 12-06-2002, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help, im leaning to going to the darkside. gimme some reasons to stay all motor.... (Milano_EH3)

still thinking to boost? a friend of mine had a fully built n/a gsr that ran high 12's(high octane gas). its possible, just keep working. but then again, if you want a decent daily driver maybe boost would be simpler. his del got to the point where he had a hard time driving on the streets.
Old 12-06-2002, 05:42 AM

Default Re: help, im leaning to going to the darkside. gimme some reasons to stay all motor.... (ProEater)

Go all motor...

Especially if you want a reliable car, also it's easier to maintain.
Old 12-06-2002, 06:15 AM
BoM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help, im leaning to going to the darkside. gimme some reasons to stay all motor.... (jin_)

ALL MOTOR translates into either a) I'm poor and can't buy it all at once b) my mom and dad can't know what i have done or they'd kill me c) i'm plain poor

TURBOooo translates into a) I have money b) I want more than all motor can provide... c) I'm not afraid to take that one extra step d) I have a full time job and I can afford it.
-gsrwboost
Old 12-06-2002, 06:48 AM

Default Re: help, im leaning to going to the darkside. gimme some reasons to stay all motor.... (BoM)

ALL MOTOR translates into either a) I'm poor and can't buy it all at once b) my mom and dad can't know what i have done or they'd kill me c) i'm plain poor

TURBOooo translates into a) I have money b) I want more than all motor can provide... c) I'm not afraid to take that one extra step d) I have a full time job and I can afford it.
-gsrwboost
lol..

All motor it is then !
Old 12-06-2002, 07:36 AM

Default Re: help, im leaning to going to the darkside. gimme some reasons to stay all motor.... (jin_)

go to the darkside. i plan on being there after i get the gsr engine. do it do it
Old 12-06-2002, 07:39 AM

Default Re: help, im leaning to going to the darkside. gimme some reasons to stay all motor.... (DevinW)

I say stay all-motor.

Old 12-06-2002, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I feel you on the dent in the header. I've had my JDM DC about a month only and yesterday, the same bump i go over on the freeway everday, put a dent in my header. I dunno why, i've gone over it plenty of times without a scrape. The sound of the metal hitting the concrete was crucial.
Old 12-06-2002, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help, im leaning to going to the darkside. gimme some reasons to stay all motor.... (BoM)

-gsrwboost

Interesting how one correlates being poor with going all motor? First time I've heard that one.
Old 12-06-2002, 07:59 AM

I say stay all-motor.

Although ive heard this numerous times, im still amazed everytime i hear it.

For a street driven car, id say 220-230whp is attainable NA, on pump gas?

With a simple bolt on turbo kit you could make 260whp.....on pump gas.

You do the math.

Mike

Old 12-06-2002, 08:18 AM

For serious hp both boost and all-motor will require a lot of money (most likely more for the NA setup depending what numbers you want). My advice- do what you want, you can always go back. And a conservative boost can be reliable.

As far as the argument about 'all-motor' being the poor man's setup: that terms is thrown around loosely. I could say that I have an 'all-motor' setup, but it's just a b18b with a cat-back, not very impresive and certainly not as expensive as a turbo setup. One the other hand an all-motor setup with some internal work is going to be expensive. Perhaps some people do advertise as having an all-motor setup to build themselves up, but if it makes them feel good, ok.

G

[Modified by g_man80, 12:19 PM 12/6/2002]
Old 12-06-2002, 08:31 AM

Default Re: help, im leaning to going to the darkside. gimme some reasons to stay all motor.... (FastxCivic)

What is there to maintain? You have to change the turbo juice? I never understand this arguement.
Old 12-06-2002, 08:37 AM

Default Re: help, im leaning to going to the darkside. gimme some reasons to stay all motor.... (Replica667)

What is there to maintain? You have to change the turbo juice? I never understand this arguement.
lol.
Old 12-06-2002, 08:40 AM

Default Re: help, im leaning to going to the darkside. gimme some reasons to stay all motor.... (Replica667)

Id much rather maintain a gsr @ 7psi, than a gsr at 13:1 cr.

A fully built block with cost the same no matter what route you choose. The turbo might cost more in the beginning, but have you ever seen a fully built NA motor making 400whp??

Mike
Old 12-06-2002, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help, im leaning to going to the darkside. gimme some reasons to stay all motor.... (g_man80)

I went all motor and I had parts and work done that would be the equivalent of a bolt on turbo kit.

Whoever is saying all motor is more reliable is WRONG. After basic bolt ons (IE Cams, headwork, bottom end work etc) then anything can happen. My timing belt shredded teeth (Victim of the infamous Toda Spec B problems no one can seem to figure out). Cams snapping, detonation etc.

Boost is not bad, just like with All motor setups its all in the tuning. You can get 260 pretty easily from a GSR motor on the stock block and be able to drive it everyday.

I'm slightly biased towards going turbo because I went all motor and for the gains vs the money spent it just wasn't worth it.

Besides fast is fast. NO ONE RESPECTS 220hp (IF you are lucky to get that high most people struggle to get just 200hp to the wheels). PEOPLE RESPECT FAST CARS. Mid to 13's is quick high 12's is fast, not too many full interior Honda's pulling high 12's unless there is a blower or snail attached to the motor. Hard to do high 12's with full interor. A turbo is better power to dollar ratio.
Old 12-06-2002, 09:06 AM
New User

Default Re: help, im leaning to going to the darkside. gimme some reasons to stay all motor.... (Milano_EH3)

unless you hang out with a bunch of all-motor snobs.
Hehe...sounds like the turbo guys can be "snobs" too...talking about how people who go all motor are poor. A serious all motor setup is not cheap. You may not pay as much as turbo at once...but a properly done all motor setup gets pricey too. The term all motor gets thrown around too much. I can drop a $2 filter in my mom's crv and start screaming "all motor y0!".

Apples and Oranges

Old 12-06-2002, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's a reason to stay all motor instead of going turbo: Half the speed for twice the cost. Is that great? Turbos suck! They're so laggy, I have to wait about a second before my torque and HP numbers double, and don't make power 'till way up there, like around 3300 RPM! Oh, and they're so unreliable! I mean, I figured I could run 15 PSI on my stock injectors and fuel pump and the POS blew up on me! Yeah, turbos suck big time!
Old 12-06-2002, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help, im leaning to going to the darkside. gimme some reasons to stay all motor.... (Mike D)

-gsrwboost
wasnt this from another post?

anyway, u all make very good points.

i know an all motor set up can be very pricy. as well as a turbo setup. my real goal is probably 250-300 hp from the turbo, or 220 from the all motor set up. i know that doesnt sound like much but its good power for a daily drive street car first off i know i have to check my compression to see if my rings are bad. im losing oil either burning it up or my oil pan gasket is slowly giving away. if the rings are bad ill go the all motor route and just swap jdm itr pistons. if they are still good, ill be looking for a turbo. possibly the greddy because a) its carb legal, and b) smaller turbo to make about 260hp and quicker spool up for roadrace or autocross. a big turbo will probably not be beneficial to tracks and lapping.

Here's a reason to stay all motor instead of going turbo: Half the speed for twice the cost. Is that great? Turbos suck! They're so laggy, I have to wait about a second before my torque and HP numbers double, and don't make power 'till way up there, like around 3300 RPM! Oh, and they're so unreliable! I mean, I figured I could run 15 PSI on my stock injectors and fuel pump and the POS blew up on me! Yeah, turbos suck big time!

Mike
15 psi on stock injectors is pretty nutz. oh btw, turbos dont suck, they blow. superchargers suck....well at least the JR one

thanks for the info guys.

krazy
i tech

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: help, im leaning to going to the darkside. gimme some reasons to stay all motor....