Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help..I think my transmission is messed up?

Old 02-16-2005, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help..I think my transmission is messed up?

Today when I was drving I came upon an open road near my house with no cars whatsover so what the hell, I decided to stomp on it.

Well about the time I was shifting out of 3rd into 4th...I put in the clutch, put it into 4th gear and let out the clutch, as soon as I let of the clutch my rpms shoot up, my needle on the tach was past the 9,500, my guess is i hit about 10 grand for about half of a sec and the gears grinded like crazy.. Im so confused because I had it all the way in gear and as soon as I let the clutch out it it seems like it poped out of gear.

Now I was like "**** " so confused what happened, so the rest of the way home i take it easy keeping it below 4 grand and going through all the gears easy and slowly jsut to make sure everything is fine, which they seemed to be...Now I dont want you guys to think I suck but it happened yesterday basically the same way, I was putting it into fourth and grind..overrev... But what made me confused today was i was sure it was all the way in gear this time and when I let it out it happened again (today).

Can you guys help me out on what u think is wrong because my fourth gear doesnt like speed. Its fine when I'm driving normal. I'm possitive its not me...Is it bad to rev to 10,000 on a stock motor for like .5 sec?
Old 02-16-2005, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes its bad to over rev, you could bend valves and such but im not sure about the gears grinding
Old 02-16-2005, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Help..I think my transmission is messed up? (Honda_b16a2)

Sounds to me like you simply mis-shifted. IMO you're either shifting too fast or your synchros are worn. How many miles are on the tranny?

edit: Yes, overreving your motor is very bad. Come off the gas next time.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Help..I think my transmission is messed up? (t0p_sh0tta)

the car has 96,000 miles, sometimes when im driving normal it seems like its hard to get it gear...not always tho....

BUt I dont get how I overrevved I have a rev limiter and I was in 4th gear so why did it shoot up? I was only doing about 80-90 mph when this happened

As soon as the rpms shot up i let of of hit and put it in nuetral
Old 02-16-2005, 01:47 PM

I am still baffeled on what happened but tomorow I will do a compression check, and I can see If i bent any valves, because I have my results from like a 2 weeks ago, so I'll be able to compare.

Is it possible that I put it into 2nd instead of 4th?
Old 02-17-2005, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wtf dude...of course you put it in 2nd by mistake, called a misshift. GOSSSH.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:24 PM

Default Re: Help..I think my transmission is messed up? (mportracer33)

there is actually a honda service bulletin on this problem. its for all 99-00 si's. the fix is to replace some gears and sleeve sets. i have the same problem expect i have the problem with 5th gear and not 4th. i did the same as you and posted on here but no one responded with a true answer. so i had an interview as a service tech with a honda dealership and after the interview i asked what they thought the problem was and they showed me the service bulletin.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help..I think my transmission is messed up? (undercoversi)

i work at an acura dealership and i can tell you that the servise bulliten is only for gears that grind when trying to shift. same **** with the rsx type s. if you misshift and go from 3rd to 2nd, thats not gunna be in a servise bulliten. thats just drivers mistake. i dont think you understood what the creator of the thread meant bc the creator himself didnt know wtf he even did. he didnt realize he had it in second and instatly came on here and posted that the problem happened in 4th. their would be no explanation for the rpms to shoot past 10 grand going 80 some mph in forth gear. it had to of been second. the end........
Old 02-21-2005, 05:37 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Honda_b16a2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is it possible that I put it into 2nd instead of 4th?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yup. sucks to misshift.