Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help I drilled a hole through the evaporator.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help I drilled a hole through the evaporator.

I was drilling a hole for my amp wire and the drill went throgh the firewall and right through the ac evaporator i think. freon went spraying all into my car. the hole is right above the rubber line the goes through the fire wall right under the glove box. I then disconnected my heater core because i was told that it was bad, but i dont think i could of hit that from where the hole is,so i hooked the heater core back up, but now it was leaking bad from some where. any suggestions on the situation i am in.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help I drilled a hole through the evaporator. (Handle The Business)

did you use a pliers or somthing like that to pull the hoses off.
If so you crushed the heater core pipes.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:39 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Help I drilled a hole through the evaporator. (Jago)

Find out exactly where it's leaking. Determine which component is bad, then replace. Also, if you remove the battery, there is a grommet that covers a hole that is not used. remove that grommet and put your power line through that, then put grommet back on. You don't need to drill through your firewall.

Handle y0 business y0.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:46 AM

Drilling a hole for your amp wire? WHAT amp wire? I guess the power wire. Either way...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by litterbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Find out exactly where it's leaking. Determine which component is bad, then replace. Also, if you remove the battery, there is a grommet that covers a hole that is not used. remove that grommet and put your power line through that, then put grommet back on. You don't need to drill through your firewall.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-11-2005, 11:18 PM

Default Re: Help I drilled a hole through the evaporator. (litterbox)

All the grommits that are in the fire wall still have to be drilled through. The hole i used is one that i pulled a grommit out of,but it didnt go all the way through.
Should i pull the evaporator out since none of my other ac equipment is in.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:50 AM

Well if you took all your other ac stuff out how can it still hold freon? I done follow you there. as for the heater core, find out where its leaking and replace whatever it is. you propably broke or cracked one of the lines when you removed the hoses they get brittle over time and being plastic dosent help much.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:54 AM

Default Re: Help I drilled a hole through the evaporator. (nocturnaldragon)

what you toom out the ac, but just the pump.. lol.. well you don't need the evap/condensor,.. take it out. Try to do things right the first time, if you take out the ac, take out the entire ac, not just the pump with freeon chillin around your system
Old 08-13-2005, 01:34 AM

Default Re: Help I drilled a hole through the evaporator. (GripStar)

YOU APPARENTLY DONT UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU READ!!!!!!!!!. In the post i stated that i drilled a hole in the evaporator not to mention i said that it sprayed all in the interior of my car,so how would there be freon chillin in my system. To add to that i didnt just remove the ac pump. I removed the ac condenser,hard lines compressor,etc. so next time before you try to be a smart ***, and put a thumbs down at the end of a post know what your talking so you dont look stupid again in front of all th h-t members
Old 08-13-2005, 10:22 AM
95DxSi-R2

Default Re: Help I drilled a hole through the evaporator. (GripStar)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GripStar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what you toom out the ac, but just the pump.. lol.. well you don't need the evap/condensor,.. take it out. Try to do things right the first time, if you take out the ac, take out the entire ac, not just the pump with freeon chillin around your system </TD></TR></TABLE>i took out my pump and i still have freon chillen in my a/c system
Old 08-13-2005, 10:31 AM

Default Re: Help I drilled a hole through the evaporator. (95DxSi-R2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95DxSi-R2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i took out my pump and i still have freon chillen in my a/c system</TD></TR></TABLE>

I still dont understand how you can have freon in the system when you remove the pump tho, its a closed system under pressure, when you remove any component your opening it up and releasing all the freon unless theres some sort of valves in there that dont allow you to do that but from everycar I've worked on if you change or remove the pump you have to evac the system and refill it all over again. I could be wrong but I dont see how tho.

Did you ever get your heater core proplem fixed yet btw?
Old 08-13-2005, 11:08 AM
95DxSi-R2

Default Re: Help I drilled a hole through the evaporator. (nocturnaldragon)

you will not have any psi on an open system (like mine with the comp. off.) the only thing that could have happend is that your sys is plugged up in the evap. or u hit the heater core, are u low on coolant? if you did hit the evapaorator, f@ck it, you don't have a/c anyway
Old 08-13-2005, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Help I drilled a hole through the evaporator. (95DxSi-R2)

Damn, STAY AWAY from that freon. Seriously freezing on contact isn't cool. That stuff can give you instant frost bite and I know having touched it by accident. Try not to breath near it (use a msk or something). I worked in a a/c repair shop for a year and that stuff is some freaky **** when not handled properly. Just be careful around that stuff.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:33 AM

Default Re: Help I drilled a hole through the evaporator. (Bond)

I Talk to an ac tech at my work,and if i have to fix the heater core,were gonna put a new evaporator in plus the rest of the ac components.(removing the ac isnt COOL in your daily driver). When the freon line got punctured in my car i stood back and just let it do its thing untill it was finished. I never got any headaches or dizzines after it happened,but my car smelled like crap for two weeks, so i should be ok. thanks for the warning though
Old 08-14-2005, 11:48 AM

HEY GRIPSTAR GRIP ON MY NUTS!!! PAY ATTENTION TO THE POST NEXT TIME YOU HAVE SOMETHING SMART TO SAY. HTB GRIPSTAR
Old 08-14-2005, 12:29 PM

sounds like a job for duct tape and jb weld