Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   HELP: How to make car theft proof? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/help-how-make-car-theft-proof-2924727/)

charliewolf_0 04-17-2011 07:33 PM

HELP: How to make car theft proof?

I have a 1993 civic ex, with 240,000 miles on original d16z6 and transmission. In live in South East Los Angeles.

I have owned my car for about 4years and it has been broken into about 50 times, 4 stereos have been taken ( including the stock radio),twice my climate control and dash have been broken off, and they stold the car about a year and half ago ( took rims, seats, dizzy, intake, exhaust, headers,ecu, spare tire, even my soccer shoes). So just last night they broke in again and took another stereo. I today i was about to buy a swap, but know i have the fear that i will but the swap in and not even have long enought to enjoy it.

I have to park the car on the street, dont have a garage. so i have decided to push the swap back for a while, and focus on security first.

First i would like to know if there is anything i can do to stop the from opening the door so easily?

I dont have an alarm for because i have heard they can easily work around it, is there an alarm system anyone is usin that would work better?

How effective would it be if i get a detachable steering wheel and lock?

Where can i buy a kill switch?

What do you use on your car?

Anything would be helpful

Thanks

Tyla12 04-17-2011 07:36 PM

Re: HELP: How to make car theft proof?

ways to make it so no one can starit up tke ur car is kill switch,alarm with 3 way pager so if someone is touching it you can tell by the remote,also take out ur ecu

Katastrophic 04-17-2011 07:49 PM

DEI alarm systems
check the audio/video/alarm thread for info on that

many cutoff/kill switches in hidden places, IE: ECU and Fuel cutoff switches and make sure those are hidden where only you can find them

backup battery for alarm, tilt sensor, window break or audio sensor, Some sort of way to lock all four wheels up and make the car immoble
break and clutch locks work to deter but a determined thief will get what they want.
definitely a GPS system and no not a cell phone tracker an actual in car tracking system

lojack isn't very efficent since you have to go around with a beacon to find your car.

if they want your stereo remember to pop off the face plate and take it with you (i'm sure you already do this) but remember smash and grabs take very little time and if they want the stereo they will probably get it. in the audio/security thread some one mentioned putting wheel boots (yes the yellow things police use) hood locks if possible, remote kill switches etc.

think like a crook and consider all the possible ways they could get to your stuff.

hope this helped

DOHC SOL 04-17-2011 07:50 PM

kill switch! me and my buddy just put one in his em1. it took 30min and cost $20. im putting 2 in my hatch and getting a sick alarm! Cleveland is rough to....

charliewolf_0 04-17-2011 07:58 PM

so for good info, ok working looking for a good alarms system.
would it be better if when the alarm system is installed that the light is visible os the theif can see it or not?
where can i buy a kill switch?

Katastrophic 04-17-2011 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by charliewolf_0 (Post 45094330)
so for good info, ok working looking for a good alarms system.
would it be better if when the alarm system is installed that the light is visible os the theif can see it or not?
where can i buy a kill switch?

you make a kill switch unless you mean the actual switch part
i'd go down to the nearest auto or hardware store and find small switches,
preferebly ones that bumps and jolts won't mess with (IE when your driving)

don't forget to check here
https://honda-tech.com/forums/audio-security-video-27/

Tyla12 04-17-2011 08:01 PM

It would probably keep more people away for sure. if you think about it would you rather steal a car that looks like it has no alarm or a car that looks like its on lock down.The one i have flashes you can see it from outside of the car from along ways away. you can make kill switches.

charliewolf_0 04-17-2011 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Katastrophic (Post 45094341)
you make a kill switch unless you mean the actual switch part
i'd go down to the nearest auto or hardware store and find small switches,
preferebly ones that bumps and jolts won't mess with (IE when your driving)

don't forget to check here
https://honda-tech.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27

great link, very helpful.... what about the steering wheel?
ok i will work on the kill switch.

charliewolf_0 04-17-2011 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tyla12 (Post 45094342)
It would probably keep more people away for sure. if you think about it would you rather steal a car that looks like it has no alarm or a car that looks like its on lock down.The one i have flashes you can see it from outside of the car from along ways away. you can make kill switches.

that makes sense, i just figuered i was giving them a heads up, and they would be ready to figuere out away to disarm it. rather not know and be surprised. But i guess them knowing my make them at least think twice

Katastrophic 04-17-2011 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by charliewolf_0 (Post 45094385)
that makes sense, i just figuered i was giving them a heads up, and they would be ready to figuere out away to disarm it. rather not know and be surprised. But i guess them knowing my make them at least think twice

that sir is why you do a complete stealth install

basically the whole alarm is wired deep through your dash and in places it would require taking a whole dash apart to get to

trust me thief's barely have time to steal an unprotected car let alone a fully hidden alarm system they would have no change disarming it in time

SikEj8 04-17-2011 10:11 PM

get a quick release and hub lock, clutch locker, remove fuel pump relay, hide your killswitches in plain sight.. for example..if your not using your ac, then wire it up to one of the any buttons on there.

Townson 04-17-2011 10:40 PM

let a mountain lion live in the backseat. even if the thief has a gun, it's not gonna be a big enough caliber to kill a mountain lion. it'll just piss him off even worse lol.

mikexcmd 04-18-2011 06:16 AM

i just recently bought a pedal-to-steering wheel lock for my car( bought it for 15 at autozone)and i also have a kill switch set up..so my car is fine but im also taking more precaution by installing a viper 2way alarm just in case.

grumblemarc 04-18-2011 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by charliewolf_0 (Post 45094171)
I have a 1993 civic ex, with 240,000 miles on original d16z6 and transmission. In live in South East Los Angeles.

I have owned my car for about 4years and it has been broken into about 50 times, 4 stereos have been taken ( including the stock radio),twice my climate control and dash have been broken off, and they stold the car about a year and half ago ( took rims, seats, dizzy, intake, exhaust, headers,ecu, spare tire, even my soccer shoes). So just last night they broke in again and took another stereo. I today i was about to buy a swap, but know i have the fear that i will but the swap in and not even have long enought to enjoy it.

I have to park the car on the street, dont have a garage. so i have decided to push the swap back for a while, and focus on security first.

First i would like to know if there is anything i can do to stop the from opening the door so easily?

I dont have an alarm for because i have heard they can easily work around it, is there an alarm system anyone is usin that would work better?

How effective would it be if i get a detachable steering wheel and lock?

Where can i buy a kill switch?

What do you use on your car?

Anything would be helpful

Thanks

So if I'm reading this right you have had NO security on your car whatsoever in all the time you have owned the car and wonder why you keep getting broken into? It's probably the same people doing it. They just wait for you to put in a new deck or valuable and they break in again.

mikekh10a 04-18-2011 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Tyla12 (Post 45094194)
ways to make it so no one can starit up tke ur car is kill switch,alarm with 3 way pager so if someone is touching it you can tell by the remote,also take out ur ecu

i think you mean 2 way pager
but anyways, getting an alarm with a 2 way pager WITH A BACK UP BATTERY would help alot. not only does it make a lot of noise but it pages your remote when your alarms being set off so you can catch them in the act. when my stereo got stolen my alarm went off and i ran out and almost had them, they barely got away.
i also have 2 kill switches. one to my fuel pump, and one to my main relay and the main relay is relocated so thieves will have a hard time getting to it.

sextav6 04-18-2011 07:50 AM

dont get angry, get even. mess with alarms? why bother

http://tesladownunder.com/tesla_coil...t%20Protection

DSMAddicted 04-18-2011 09:48 AM

I'm surprised nobody posted this link:
http://causeforalarm.thecarthing.com/

Wealth of info on there, plenty to read and learn.

Good luck,

-Walter

rick_rabies 04-18-2011 10:22 AM

there is 5000 threads on this already. with pics and very good ideas..

still south africa has the best idea every.

lower mower blade on the bottom of the car with a garage door spring..jiggle the handle....sccchwwwwinnng. proly wouldnt steal cars anymore

lunareg 04-18-2011 11:19 AM

re-run your hood cable, it runs right in the fender and theifs can cut the fender well and pop your hood and dc the battery so they can work on disabling the alarm. Pull that cable out and run it through the firewall, takes all of 30 mins.

get an alarm with a pager, and a backup battery for the alarm.

Run killswitches, and even have some fake ones to throw them off in obvious places.

you can also fab up some blocking plates so they cant slim-jim your door locks, and its also a good idea to look into replacing your door locks and ignition with ones from an integra. 9 x out of 10 the people are probably getting into your car with a filed down honda key, and they can possibly even start it with said key.

the more layers you have and the longer you make them fumble around they will finally give up and move on to something else. if you have a problem with your stereo, this guy has a kick ass idea.
http://causeforalarm.thecarthing.com...ate/index.html

Libertariat 04-18-2011 12:04 PM

I'm dumbfounded that it took the OP 40+ break ins, 4 car stereos, a car recovery, and NOW he's asking about security?

:hammer: :hammer:

rick_rabies 04-18-2011 12:36 PM

if i was charlie. i would get a permit and a snub noise 357 magnum and camp out.....take care of the sitcheeation once and for all and do the community a favor

05foresterxt 04-18-2011 01:10 PM

I have a 99 Si and they have tried to steal it at least 3 times now without success. They did break the ignition and steering column, but could not take the car. This is what I would do.

1. Put a good alarm that has a pager with a 1 mile range. You'll be able to know if your car is in trouble from far away and be able to lock/unlock it from the same distance.

2. Install the alarm horn/speaker somewhere where it's not easy to get to. Most shops install the alarms quick and put the speaker where it can easily be accessed and the cables cut. Thieves open the car, pop the hood, and cut the cables within seconds. I placed mine under a metal bracket that you would have to be a midget to get to it.

3. Install a kill switch so it will activate with the alarm and deactivate with it as well. This way you don't worry about remembering to enable/disable it.

4. Hide the alarm brain/wiring deep where it's not easy to access.

5. Place the LED on the dash so they can see that the car has an alarm.

6. If you can afford it, put a lojack system or gps tracking. Sounds like this is out of your price range though.

7. Get a club that connects to your brake pedal

With all these things working, the only way for them to take the car is to use a tow truck

lovelove 04-18-2011 01:21 PM

My personal opinion towards this is to leave your keys in it with the windows open...this will make them think that, "Oh shit, this car is hot" just like the TV show Bait Car. Or since you live in Cali, sell it and get a non-honda. Not to bash on you but I heard too many threads about stolen vehicles in Cali.

jflaig 04-18-2011 01:21 PM

Hey,
I have a 93 del sol with a custom security system. I have sensors on the doors, hood, trunk, and top along with a motion sensor in the car if I have the top off. I also have a kill switch for the fuel pump in the locked compartments behind the seats, but a locked glove box works too. If you do not car about your radio, put your battery in the trunk and hook up a relay on a switch as a kill switch, but hook up your security system before the relay, that way it still works. Also if you are really worried replace you locks and put a plate behind the door handle, so that they can not be picked with a screwdriver and hammer. I hope that this helps.
Jflaig

bankonyourself 04-18-2011 01:28 PM

First, what kind of budget do you have to work with???

If you are on a really low budget....get some kill switches installed.

If you can afford it....a 2-way paging alarm with GPS tracking that will alert you via Cell Phone that your ride is being broken into and track them if they are towing your vehicle.

Again...what are you willing to spend to protect your ride???