Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HELP - Grinding after tranny swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP - Grinding after tranny swap

Scenario:

I just swaped a d16z6 (si) tranny with approx. 70-80k on my d15b7. My d15b7 has about 105k on it. I did not change the clutch when i did the swap. I also used GM syncromesh trannyfluid.

when i test drove the car, 1st and 2nd gear are good, but then 3rd and 4th grind at any rpm. 3rd grinds even at 2.5k rpm. 3rd doesn't grind only if i shift like at 1-2k rpms which is ridiculously low. 5th gear goes in too.

I was told to buy a new slave cylinder and replace the clutch with a new one aswell as resurface the flywheel. Also to buy and use a vacume pump.

anybody got anyideas on why it might be grinding? the seller already asured me the tranny is good and has vouches.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP - Grinding after tranny swap (thrty8street)

oh yea, another thing... i used the b7 clutch fork on the z6 since the z6 didnt come with one.

QUESTION: when i buy the new slave cylinder, should i buy it for the b7 or the z6??
Old 10-21-2004, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone? come on honda-tech, dont fail me now
Old 10-21-2004, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a b7 tranny in mine (jdm z6) and I bought a si/ex tranny from a guy here on honda tech and he ashured me it was perfect condition, guess what , get home spend two hours putting it in. go drive and it makes this horrible whirring noise when under a load or when your on the gas ..... put in my old tranny ,works like a champ!!!! best 150.00 dollars I ever spent!!!! (speester)
Old 10-21-2004, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP - Grinding after tranny swap (sleeping GIANT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sleeping GIANT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had a b7 tranny in mine (jdm z6) and I bought a si/ex tranny from a guy here on honda tech and he ashured me it was perfect condition, guess what , get home spend two hours putting it in. go drive and it makes this horrible whirring noise when under a load or when your on the gas ..... put in my old tranny ,works like a champ!!!! best 150.00 dollars I ever spent!!!! (speester)</TD></TR></TABLE>

damn yo, sorry about that, i feel your pain
Old 10-21-2004, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

any ideas? come guru's where are you when i need you?
Old 10-21-2004, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my second and thrid was hella bad then i changed my bushing for the shift linkage put the stock shifter in it and also i use mtf now my tranny loves me
Old 10-21-2004, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cranberry)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cranberry &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my second and thrid was hella bad then i changed my bushing for the shift linkage put the stock shifter in it and also i use mtf now my tranny loves me</TD></TR></TABLE>

Can you explain more , and please use complete sentences? Im not trying to flame you.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (thrty8street)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thrty8street &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Can you explain more , and please use complete sentences? Im not trying to flame you.</TD></TR></TABLE>
My tranny before i replaced alot of **** grinded second and thrid. also had a hard time getting into gear. I had a short shift switched back to stock shifter. changed my gear oil to mtf. the gear oil from honda. I also changed the bushings that stabilize the shifter. all and all everything i did seemed to work no more grind. i would try MTF. if that doesnt work your snycros are gone. sorry i didnt explain more was in a rush.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the help man, so switch to mtf also? i thought syncromesh was top of the line ****?
Old 10-22-2004, 04:33 AM

did u try the friction modified syncromesh or the standard stuff?
Old 10-22-2004, 05:06 AM

Default Re: (sohc_boy)

two gears of complete grinding isnt going to be solved by the right lubricant, the regular syncrhomesh is fine, you have bigger problems, im not an expert so i dont konw what they are but i doubt that slightly different fluid will take a way a complete grind in 2nd n 3rd
Old 10-22-2004, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sohc_boy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did u try the friction modified syncromesh or the standard stuff?</TD></TR></TABLE>

standard stuff
Old 10-22-2004, 07:50 AM

this happens any time you try to shift, i mean your not trying to bang through the gears like a mad man? really it sounds like you got some bigger problems but some people have had luck with the friction modified stuff helping grinding so its worth a shot over getting a new tranny or yours rebuilt.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:03 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Use the FM stuff for like 2 weeks, then switch after the grind goes away to honda MTF. FM creates notches in the gears (hesitations when shifting) so that the gears don't grind.

If FM doesn't solve it, your synchros are fucked and you need to replace them or get a new trans.
Old 10-22-2004, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sohc_boy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this happens any time you try to shift, i mean your not trying to bang through the gears like a mad man? really it sounds like you got some bigger problems but some people have had luck with the friction modified stuff helping grinding so its worth a shot over getting a new tranny or yours rebuilt.</TD></TR></TABLE>
i aguree with you, but i had the same problem and all that fixed my tranny. try the little things before you go big. also do you have the bushings on where the shifter is atteched to the shift linkage. not the stabilzer part, because that was also part of my big promble. mine had ate the **** on me. pm me and ill send you pics of what i mean.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cranberry &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i aguree with you, but i had the same problem and all that fixed my tranny. try the little things before you go big. also do you have the bushings on where the shifter is atteched to the shift linkage. not the stabilzer part, because that was also part of my big promble. mine had ate the **** on me. pm me and ill send you pics of what i mean.</TD></TR></TABLE>

im not sure what your talking about, pics would be helpful
Old 10-22-2004, 05:58 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Shift bushings...does your shifter flex back when you accelerate?
Old 10-22-2004, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BauleyCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Shift bushings...does your shifter flex back when you accelerate?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i havent really noticed since i havent been driving my car but i doubt that happens.

Oh yea it feels as if there is not enough clutch pressure on the clutch pedal. and yea i did bleed the clutch like a million times.
Old 10-23-2004, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok....... today i installed a new slave cylinder and a mechanic at work used his cylinder pump on it and he also adjusted the clutch pedal for me.

Now the car doesnt grind 4th anymore but it still grinds 3rd at all rpms Except 1K.
Old 10-23-2004, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 10-24-2004, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oh yea i noticed like a POPing noise in 1st gear sometimes or like when i just start moving the car, like something wasnt IN right, like the tranny or the axle or something.

Another thing.....when the car is turned off, and im playing with the stick shift, every gear goes in good but 3rd gear. 3rd gear doesnt seem to want to go in as far in as it should.

help please

TIA
Old 10-24-2004, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

come on honda-tech
Old 10-24-2004, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

up man come on