Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help, fuel issue...EFI Relay and IGN Switch question....

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Help, fuel issue...EFI Relay and IGN Switch question....

i have a hatch 93 dx just brought a d15b for it off online from Honlinemotors... when i got the hatch motor blown and also had a push button start on it dunno why.. k put motor in put P08 in it.. when i pull pull line off rail it had fuel come out of it.. so im guess **** was working good before i got car.. ok.. i didnt want push button start no more.. so i pull out the **** that was rid up in car... but so when u got to turn car over.. with just key it dont work... does nothing.. so i hook up my push button start thing.. on starter to just jump motor over that way. to see if i could get it to runn.. so its gettin spark no fuel dry as hell... so i check 12v at Fuel pump . not getting 12v there.. at plug... with KOEO. so.. i did some research they say check EFI relay. and ign switch... on ign switch they say to check coninue < cant spell it.. on it. not too sure on how to do that.. but i though u can by pass that with the switch..well when i started reading up on EFI relay when u read the how to test it post on here.. the diagram looks like the voltage come through IGN switch first to active the relay to send voltage to ECU and fuel pump and injector.. so i pull EFI main relay off connector and jumped blk/ylw wire and yel/grn on harness connector to get consist 12v to fuel pump and when i check it boom 12v there... so try turn car over nothing so Fuel pump is bad. but when u plug EFI main relay back in 12 v gone.... now is that because the EFI relay is bad.. or because you do need a good IGN switch and can by pass with push button to start car.. because u need the ign switch to work like to suppose to to engize the relay to put voltage to fuel pump ecu and injector... i hope u can understand this some what..... please help Jose.... need to know if i need new ign switch and main relay or just main relay. if maybe something is wrong.. but no fuel.. i know i need new fuel pump, but once i get that ill be in same boat. i would like to have car back to stock being able to start with key.. any advice would help thanks...
Old 02-12-2011, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Help, fuel issue...EFI Relay and IGN Switch question....

Unplug the connector to the main relay and jump the Blk/Yel wire terminal to Yel/Grn wire terminal in the connector. Then turn the key to ON(II). Does the fuel pump run? If not, does the fuel pump connector have battery voltage? If so, check whether the Blk ground wire in the fuel pump connector has continuity to body ground.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the connector plug does have 12v jumped and also just checked with the EFI plugged in when u turn key to on position it gets 12v to hit for 2 secs then go aways.. so im thinking defintly bad fuel pump and also bad ign switch cause when u turn key to start nothing happens
Old 02-13-2011, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by coupedragracing
the connector plug does have 12v jumped and also just checked with the EFI plugged in when u turn key to on position it gets 12v to hit for 2 secs then go aways.. so im thinking defintly bad fuel pump and also bad ign switch cause when u turn key to start nothing happens
The red text tells you the ignition switch is fine in the ON(II) position, but the failure of the fuel pump could be caused by a bad fuel pump or a bad fuel pump ground wire. Run a power and ground wire directly from the battery to the fuel pump to see whether it runs. If not, the pump is bad. If so, the fuel pump ground wire is bad.

Regarding the blue text, you need to do more tests because a bad ON(III) position for the ignition switch is only one of multiple possible causes for a no-crank problem. Start by checking whether the rubber stopper that presses on the starter switch at the top of the clutch pedal has fallen out or is broken. Next, run two power wires directly from the battery to the starter motor and solenoid to see whether the starter cranks.

Last edited by Former User; 02-13-2011 at 06:39 AM.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow thanks for infomation I check that spot on clutch and there is no rubber stop there, so I was trying to put a bolt through there but the space is really tight so I'm thinking I'm gonna have to completely remove clutch pedal to get to it, so that could be reason motor not turning over with key? Correct. Also I have already jumped the two power spots on the starter thats how I have been getting motor to turn over for me to be checking these things too and notice no fuel n etc... I'm gonna put direct power to fuel pump and see what happens brb. Also. Do u know where I could buy that rubber stop or just put a bolt n nut in place there and it work fine?

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
The red text tells you the ignition switch is fine in the ON(II) position, but the failure of the fuel pump could be caused by a bad fuel pump or a bad fuel pump ground wire. Run a power and ground wire directly from the battery to the fuel pump to see whether it runs. If not, the pump is bad. If so, the fuel pump ground wire is bad.

Regarding the blue text, you need to do more tests because a bad ON(III) position for the ignition switch is only one of multiple possible causes for a no-crank problem. Start by checking whether the rubber stopper that presses on the starter switch at the top of the clutch pedal has fallen out or is broken. Next, run two power wires directly from the battery to the starter motor and solenoid to see whether the starter cranks.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also if it as bad ground wire on fuel pump where is that ground located? I know it goes all the way around driver seat n to dash area the hares does.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

here is picture of my cluch pedal. from the looks of it i dont have a clutch pedal switch B... what does that switch do and do i need it?
Attached Images  
Old 02-13-2011, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Switch B is for cruise control. Focus on switch A and its rubber stopper (red arrow).
Old 02-13-2011, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also if it as bad ground wire on fuel pump where is that ground located? I know it goes all the way around driver seat n to dash area the hares does.

Do all of the tests I mentioned and post the results. There's no sense in talking about the ground wire unless the tests point you to it.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I check that spot on clutch and there is no rubber stop there, so I was trying to put a bolt through there but the space is really tight so I'm thinking I'm gonna have to completely remove clutch pedal to get to it, so that could be reason motor not turning over with key? ... Do u know where I could buy that rubber stop or just put a bolt n nut in place there and it work fine?
I think some people use a hot glue gun to cover the hole with a penny.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

alright so i put a paint stick up in between clutch and switch A and motor turn over with key HELL YA! thank you so much for info.. and also put 12v direct to fuel pump connector on the fuel pump it self and nothing didnt make a sound or anything so bad fuel pump. i got to go get a new one.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

.. and also put 12v direct to fuel pump connector on the fuel pump it self and nothing didnt make a sound or anything so bad fuel pump. i got to go get a new one.
Don't buy a fuel pump unless you supplied BOTH POWER and GROUND wires directly from the battery to the fuel pump.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't buy a fuel pump unless you supplied BOTH POWER and GROUND wires directly from the battery to the fuel pump.
yes i pulled my battery out and hook two wires up and ran direct power and ground to the plug connection on top of pump
Old 02-13-2011, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

here is picture
Attached Images  
Old 02-13-2011, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im gonna pull it out and take a look at it too..
Old 02-13-2011, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes i pulled my battery out and hook two wires up and ran direct power and ground to the plug connection on top of pump
Oh okay, if the pump did not run, then it is likely toast.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im gonna pull it out and take a look at it too..
This is a good idea.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is a good idea.
yeah pulled it out and put power n ground directly to pump itself and nothing.. so i got a new pump coming here in a min.... i also fixed the clutch pedeal deal thing too with penny super glue and tape.. car now starts with key...

I would like to say thank you so much also u have saved me alot of time and money. great job sir.. thank you so much. and now i also learn so much too. i appreciate too alot alot.. thanks Jose
Old 02-13-2011, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would like to say thank you so much also u have saved me alot of time and money. great job sir.. thank you so much. and now i also learn so much too. i appreciate too alot alot.. thanks Jose

I'm always glad to help out.