Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HELP ELECTRICAL PROBLEM

Old 11-10-2004, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP ELECTRICAL PROBLEM

Last week I noticed my head lights dimming so I thought my alternator was bad again(mind you had it replaced last summer). The next day my head unit kept shutting off so I took my car to the shop where the tested my alternator. The reading was 13.54 when stereo was off, when stereo was on it dropped down to 10 something . He told me to take it to one of our local car performance stores where the could not find the problem seeing the system has been in my car for at least a year. Now I am noticing when I accelerate it is usually when my head unit shout off. What I would like to know is if any one has experience this before or if any one knows what may be causing it
Old 11-10-2004, 03:01 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: HELP ELECTRICAL PROBLEM (97silvercivicgrl)

Do you have some sort or recockulous stereo setup in your car? If not, it's probably just a nasty short or something along those lines involving your deck.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:07 PM

could you speak in English I know nothing about this stuff
Old 11-10-2004, 04:00 PM

If your stereo has been working fine until recently it appears that an eletrical short has occured somewhere. So this is what can be done.
1. Check your battery terminals, make sure theres no corrosion (white flake powder substance) that needs to be removed. If there is (while the car is off) scrub it off with a wire brush (availabe at most autoparts stores) or poor some vinegar on it, that should help remove it. Once the terminals are clean tighten the cables and then apply some lithum grease to prevent future corrosion.
2. Have your alternate cables as well as your starter cables checked, make sure they are secured tightly.
3. This is the most diffucult. Look for a short in your stereos electircal system. This means that a wire having current "power" is connecting ground when it shouldn't. If you have a "system" in there. Check all the major wire runs, especially if they come near door, hood, or other moving parts. Also any place whrer they pass thru metal, if its a sharp edge the wire insulation may have been nicked. If any work has been done to the stereo system lately then return to whre it was done and explain the issue. If they reputable and intelligent enough they should be able to determine/fix the problem.