Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

help!! with ek hatch that has sat for 7 years doesnt start

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 help!! with ek hatch that has sat for 7 years doesnt start

well where to begin i have a 96 ek hatch that has sat around for about 7 years.It ran perfectly fine when i decided to shave the bay and do a wire tuck but life happened... and never really had time to put it back together.The engine goodies are as follows

99 b18c1
obd2 gsr ecu and obd1 gsr ecu with harness adapter
bloxs intake manifold
bdl fuel rail
aeromotive fpr and fuel filter
itr headers
custom braided steel fuel lines
itr fuel pump
97 civic ex 5 speed harness that has been modified for the wire tuck
98 civic ex 5 speed interior cabin harness "dont know if this would of worked in a hatch but installed it because i couldnt see why it wouldnt of worked i know some features i wont have but arent essential"
mishimoto rad with fan
optima red top batter
new ngk spark plugs

with that the car was stored in a garage the whole time it was down.The motor had fresh fluids before it was taken out and ran perfectly fine;every couple of months i would come back and manually rotate the motor.I also did a wire tuck i not a complete noob been doing car audio for a while even have my mecp i extended the wires that needed to be extended and what not;and installed a 98 civic ex 5 speed cabin/under dash harness and extended what need to be extended.So with that been said i finally got around to installing everything made sure everything was bolted down,tightened,cleaned,fluids change besides coolant just added what i could decided to start it up and automatically got a red oil light on turnt the key off checked the oil it was at the correct level.Tried to start again i heard the fuel pump prime turnt the key alll the way and all i got was a click the starter trying to engage.And nothing it didnt even crank over things ive check complete harness from connector back to ecu plugs all seem ok,fuel pressure,and battery voltage,pgmfi relay and other fuses related to the engine including all connection under dash and aswell as grounds.things i have not really checked are the fuel injectors if they are working and dizzy.....i know this was kinda of a long read but please help havent posted anything in a while so yeah any help would be appreciated... forgot to mention i know i have compression and no spark from dizzy
Old 05-08-2015, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help!! with ek hatch that has sat for 7 years doesnt start

1. obviously new fuel is needed. after 7 years it's not gas anymore. remove old fuel and refill.
2. starter click but not turning over can be a bad starter (or the plunger thing gets stuck, or you don't have enough electrical power to turn the starter)
3. you shouldn't be trying to start the car right away like that anyway, probably a good idea to build up oil pressure first... (once you've got your starter sorted out, take your sparkplugs out, disconnect your ECU fuse and turn it over several times - as in a minute - to build oil pressure. repeat a few times but don't blow out your starter. then put the fuse back in, spark plugs, and fire it up)

just my thoughts. GL, sounds like a great car.

edit: I missed that you have no spark from the dizzy. you'll have to sort that out first...
Old 05-08-2015, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Dead battery?
Old 05-09-2015, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the input i didnt mention gas tank was cleaned out as well as the pump and as far as the starter i checked it out it is working like it should.and battery is sitting at 12.2 something hooked up to battery tender i will try to rotate the motor a couple of times and see if i get oil pressure
Old 05-09-2015, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Take the battery out to be tested at your local parts store. 12 volts will operate most electronics however the starter requires lots of amperage and if it's a 7 year old battery I'm sure it is not strong enough to crank the starter

If you are extremely confident in your wiring I would try to jump start the car. I would also check voltage at the starter to verify ignition signal
Old 05-11-2015, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry my fault but that battery isnt that old maybe like a year or 2 old and the battery tender has a o
ption to be set at 14 volts whick shoild be more than enough to power the starter
Old 05-11-2015, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If the battery only holds 12V without charger, then it is likely bad.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alright i guess you guys are onto something i know a decent battery sits like at 12.4 to 12.6 so i guess i could get another battery and try that....of find another way to power the car.....but does anybody know of any issues installing a ex 5 speed cabin harness into a dx hatch???
Old 05-11-2015, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lazybrown187
alright i guess you guys are onto something i know a decent battery sits like at 12.4 to 12.6 so i guess i could get another battery and try that....of find another way to power the car.....but does anybody know of any issues installing a ex 5 speed cabin harness into a dx hatch???
Just take the battery out, they test them for free at any shop or auto parts store.

Asking for issues is a very vague question, the only difference should be the floor harness for the power windows and power locks functions. For a fully detailed information into converting the hatch to all power options there are several threads on the subject. Be sure to clean all ground connections.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well got another battery i cranked the motor by hand a couple times to get oil pressure and turned the key on still have have the oil light on; "replaced oil pressure sensor" checked oil levels and still not able to crank or even turn over i pulled the starter and made sure its working correctly looks like im gonna have to pull out my honda bibles out and start doing some reading.and aswell pull out the meter and start testing stuff i also noticed i had a 2 connectors under dash not connected to anything "will take pics later today" i know its part of the cabin harness its the plug that sits by blue plug near the driver shock tower lower down and smaller plug which i think might be for cruise control??? will take pics like said "still scratching my head" here is a pic of the bay sorry for the size..
Old 05-17-2015, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well got another battery i cranked the motor by hand a couple times to get oil pressure and turned the key on still have have the oil light on; "replaced oil pressure sensor" checked oil levels
It's normal. The oil pressure light won't turn off until the engine is running.

and still not able to crank or even turn over i pulled the starter and made sure its working correctly
  1. Put transmission in neutral and engage the parking brake.
  2. Turn key OFF.
  3. Disconnect the starter solenoid connector.
  4. Run wire from (+) battery post to the starter solenoid. --> Does starter crank engine?
Old 05-17-2015, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well got another battery i cranked the motor by hand a couple times to get oil pressure and turned the key on still have have the oil light on; "replaced oil pressure sensor" checked oil levels and still not able to crank or even turn over i pulled the starter and made sure its working correctly looks like im gonna have to pull out my honda bibles out and start doing some reading.and aswell pull out the meter and start testing stuff i also noticed i had a 2 connectors under dash not connected to anything "will take pics later today" i know its part of the cabin harness its the plug that sits by blue plug near the driver shock tower lower down and smaller plug which i think might be for cruise control??? will take pics like said "still scratching my head" here is a pic of the bay sorry for the size..

You do realize there is a rag stuffed in your throttle body and the tps sensor is unplugged
Old 05-17-2015, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
You do realize there is a rag stuffed in your throttle body and the tps sensor is unplugged
It was the end of the day and i usually tuck the motor goodnight when im done working on it lol ....with a blanket so no dust and stuff gets in there and also if you look closely none of the sensors are connected i took out the harness to trace wires and stuff
Old 05-18-2015, 01:45 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
[*]Put transmission in neutral and engage the parking brake.[*]Turn key OFF.[*]Disconnect the starter solenoid connector.[*]Run wire from (+) battery post to the starter solenoid. --> Does starter crank engine?[/LIST]
Im still waiting for this to happen ^^^^
Old 05-18-2015, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so i figured out what was wrong after adding another ground to the back side of the motor it magically turned over ............ i had all the grounds connected except for that one and now everything works but come to find out my now my injectors dont work the spray nozzle on all of them are corroded so ill be buying some imjectors and then see what happens i didnt have my dmm to test them so im just gonna get some new ones