Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help! EG6 foglights not working... fuse?

Old 11-04-2002, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! EG6 foglights not working... fuse?

Recently needed to remove my bumper. On EGs, this is very annoying since the foglights must be unscrewed/ungrounded and disconnected when the bumper comes off.

After reinstallation, the OEM-copy foglights no longer worked when switched on. I've checked the grounding bolt and that's screwed in fine. I doubt it's a blown bulb problem since they worked fine before and BOTH foglights don't turn on.

I'm pretty sure it's a fuse/relay. Unfortunately, under the dash, the fusebox diagram is in Japanese.

Do you guys know which fuse is for the foglights? Is there one?
Old 11-04-2002, 02:01 AM
VTEC

Default Re: Help! EG6 foglights not working... fuse? (ckkl)

Depending on the OEM-style brand, it could be that there is a short when the metal bracket touches the frame. Happened with a set of Depos. Check the fuse for it...it may be under the dash with the foglight wiring harness (NOT the fusebox). Yellow fuse if I remember correctly.
Old 11-04-2002, 02:14 AM

Default Re: Help! EG6 foglights not working... fuse? (VTEC)

Good idea... I'll check the harness.
The foglight switch still lights up though -- but I'm thinking it's independent of the fuse in the harness. Probably dependent on something in the fusebox.

Will post what happens...

thanks
Old 11-04-2002, 07:27 PM

Checked the fuse; it's a blue one (15A) but it wasn't blown. None of the fuses in the fusebox were blown either.

The only thing I can figure is that it's the little box before the fuse (the power converter?) labelled like this:

804-1A-C1
COIL-12VDC
30A/12VDC

This doesn't sound like the kind of part that blows up though... strange? I'll have to check with the multimeter whether there's any current going through... doubt it.
Old 11-04-2002, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The little box sounds like a relay. Check to see if relay clicks when switch engaged. If it does then see if you have output from the relay (+12v). If it has output then check the wires at the lights themselves and see if the switched 12v is getting to them. If it is then could be the bulbs or ground. If not there is an open in the circuit between the relay and the lights.
Old 11-05-2002, 01:25 AM

Default Re: Help! EG6 foglights not working... fuse? (The Sheriff)

Yes, I think we're getting somewhere now...

There used to be a clicking sound when the foglights were switched on, but although the switch still lights up, the clicking is gone.

Do relays wear away? I can't think of a reason why there would be a break in the circuit out of the blue... I'll check for voltage nonetheless.
Old 11-05-2002, 10:09 PM
VTEC

Take off the bumper but keep the foglights attached. See if they turn on with the bumper off the car. If they do, then you must wrap or isolate the foglight bracket where it screws into the body of the car. Otherwise, it won't light up...
Old 11-06-2002, 01:29 AM

Take off the bumper but keep the foglights attached. See if they turn on with the bumper off the car. If they do, then you must wrap or isolate the foglight bracket where it screws into the body of the car. Otherwise, it won't light up...
What you're suggesting is to see if the foglights light up when it's not grounded...
Hmm.... I don't see how the current will flow through the light if it's not grounded?
Old 11-06-2002, 01:42 AM
VTEC

My bro's Depo OEM-style foglights were like that for some strange reason...bumper off the car, they would light up. On the car with the brackets bolted in, they would blow the fuse everytime it was switched on. Couldn't figure out why. Used electrical tape on the brackets and everything's been okay ever since. Don't know why...maybe a double ground? I'm no electrician, so I've never figured out my bro's Depo OEM style. He had no problems whatsoever with his previous OEM-style foglights by Esuse.