Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help with ECU ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Help with ECU ASAP

Put this in here too so I can get some more feedback. So i started desoldering IC4 to install my hondata and a track seems to have come out leading to one of the solders. What are my options at this point? Keep desoldering and see if it will work or stop and get another ecu?

second hole from the top right has a track that runs under ic9

so when I desoldered that hole the little track popped up with the braid and pulled out.

Put the ecu back into my car and it runs fine, so the point Im at now is do I try to salvage this mistake on this ecu or start tearing into my spare ecu. I think if I could desolder IC9 and see where the wire attached then I could resolder it and probably be fine.
Old 01-01-2019, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Re: Help with ECU ASAP

That is an address line that comes out of IC4 (the address latch) and goes to the external program memory chip (IC3). So it is not going to affect operation in the stock mode with no chip, but you will need it to run a chip. Do not try to remove IC9-- it should be fairly obvious where the trace goes through the board under IC9 then over to IC4. You can fix it with a wire jumper directly between IC3 and IC4 on the bottom of the board.

It looks like you're not using enough heat. Instead of braid, to clear empty holes that filled with solder I just melt it then move the iron slightly to the side and blow out the hole with air. Or use a round wooden toothpick to poke the melted solder out.
Old 01-01-2019, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Help with ECU ASAP

Originally Posted by mk378
That is an address line that comes out of IC4 (the address latch) and goes to the external program memory chip (IC3). So it is not going to affect operation in the stock mode with no chip, but you will need it to run a chip. Do not try to remove IC9-- it should be fairly obvious where the trace goes through the board under IC9 then over to IC4. You can fix it with a wire jumper directly between IC3 and IC4 on the bottom of the board.

It looks like you're not using enough heat. Instead of braid, to clear empty holes that filled with solder I just melt it then move the iron slightly to the side and blow out the hole with air. Or use a round wooden toothpick to poke the melted solder out.
So youre saying a jumper wire between a peg on IC4 and IC3 would replicate the trace between IC4 and IC9?
The spot where the trace attaches under IC9 I cant see so it’d be hard to reattach knowing that its connected to the right thing. I could easily connect it to the hole it popped out of but wouldnt know where to attach at IC9