Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help Determining the Cause of Accelerating RPMs

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 Help Determining the Cause of Accelerating RPMs

My 97 VTEC Del Sol began doing this about two to three weeks ago and has been deadlined since. On a return trip from a local Social Security Administration building, I made a right turn onto a state highway and accelerated pretty quickly to merge into traffic. My transmission is manual and when I attempted to drive at the speed limit, my car began to accelerate even though my foot was off the accelerator. It was almost as if it had hit a cruise control mode (disabled) with incremental increases in speed. However, when I disengaged the clutch, the RPMs began to shoot up. As I began to slow down by downshifting and braking, I noticed everytime I disengaged the clutch the RPMs would start shooting upward. I was able to make the drive home without an accident, but at red lights I had to turn the vehicle off and ignite the engine on green. At home, I started the car, both manually and by remote start and the RPMS practically shoots up to 3K before increasing.

Because my car has been modified, the Honda dealership will not look at it and my mechanical buddies are dumbfounded. Does anyone have any idea what it could be? As far as the engine goes, the engine is stock 97 VTEC B16A2. The only addition was a Cold-Air Intake. All of my modifications are practically aesthetic and for handling.

Please let me know as soon as possible.

Thanks,

J. Hicks
Old 02-06-2009, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help Determining the Cause of Accelerating RPMs

if your only engine mod is a cold air intake i would tell the honda shop to quit bullshitting you and look at ur car. or throw a stock air box on it and take it to the honda mechanic.a body kit shouldnt make people not wanna work on your car lol. my .02 pesos
Old 02-06-2009, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

did you ever take off the throttle body? if so did you use a new gasket
Old 02-09-2009, 05:24 AM

Thanks for all the help! I ended up avoiding the charges from Honda simply by disassembling and cleaning the throttle body. Due to the film of residue on the throttle itself, it never reset back to its proper position; therefore, causing the RPMs to slowly accelerate. It's clean and able to complete its motion.

Thanks for all the help, once again!

J. Hicks