Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

help with a decision

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with a decision

i've got a 98 ex coupe that i'd like to upgrade and possibly do some JDM mods. My "wishlist" so far is a 99-00 front end conversion, manual transmission swap (it's auto tranny right now), and then some bolt ons until i can get up enough money for a swap.

right now it's running a D16Y8 and i want to do a swap that's affordable and fairly quick because i'll be going to school full time and i'm not gonna have money. i mean believe me if i had money and time i'd do a K or an F but as of now the highest i'm looking at is an H or a high B with as little or no fabrication needed as possible. just looking for a few honest opinions while taking into consideration that i'll probably be broke and a full time student when this time actually comes around. thanks.

oh and another thing, with the tranny swap would it be better to just not do it at all and just worry about that when i swap the engine?
Old 04-28-2007, 07:03 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: help with a decision (Mandark06)

If your 98 auto is stock i'd sell it, buy a shell and then swap it.

Or buy a running car and save if you can't do it all at once.

I think the K is over-rated. If you want a dope N/A motor go H2b.

It's hard to get auto/manual swaps done right and work just like a car that came with it.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:06 PM

Default Re: help with a decision (ek forever guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If your 98 auto is stock i'd sell it, buy a shell and then swap it.

Or buy a running car and save if you can't do it all at once.

I think the K is over-rated. If you want a dope N/A motor go H2b.

It's hard to get auto/manual swaps done right and work just like a car that came with it.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Uh oh. Im planing on an auto to manual swap in my 94 LX. Where are you in GA? Im in Conyers.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:18 PM

definatly go with H2B. but dont do this till you got the money to do it all cuz it will cost more to do things seperatly
Old 04-28-2007, 07:18 PM

Default Re: help with a decision (ek forever guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's hard to get auto/manual swaps done right and work just like a car that came with it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

blah, hahah well if i'm gonna get a new car i'd like an EK and the options on the ex are nice that's why i'd like to do the swap just so i can skip the hassle of finding another ex. but i mean i know that selling is more preferrable because then i could just get a hatch and possibly have some money left over to get me started on the mods...

ugh, hahaha decisions decisions.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
It's hard to get auto/manual swaps done right and work just like a car that came with it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have to disagree. The swap itself is pretty straight forward. But, the better question is, is the swap worth it? Staying with the Y8 I'm gonna say no. If you are planning on swapping to a B or H-series and going manual why not wait til then. Putting money into the D16 is a total waste, considering you want to swap.

I did the manual swap on my car. (Y7 mated with a Y8 transmission) I would say I do regret it. I tried to sell it twice and got no serious offers. Also, I wanted a hatch. Couldn't come across any manuals at the time.

So I went with it. Took me by myself about 20hrs. With a friend this time can be cut in half. So the swap can easily be done in a weekend. That of course you having all the parts and tools.

If you did plan to stay with the D16 I would say, consider selling the car. And, just picking up a manual.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:06 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mandark06 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">blah, hahah well if i'm gonna get a new car i'd like an EK and the options on the ex are nice that's why i'd like to do the swap just so i can skip the hassle of finding another ex. but i mean i know that selling is more preferrable because then i could just get a hatch and possibly have some money left over to get me started on the mods...

ugh, hahaha decisions decisions.</TD></TR></TABLE>
We don't have real EKs in the US. But a lot of people do refer to '96-'00 Civics as EKs, though most are EJs. You have an EJ8 ('96-'00 EX coupe/sedan - all SOHC VTEC) right now. The EJ6 includes the '96-'00 CX hatch, '96-'00 DX hatch, '96-'00 DX coupe, '96-'00 DX sedan and '96-'00 LX sedan (all SOHC non VTEC). The EJ7 is the '96-'00 HX coupe (SOHC VTEC-E). The EM1 is the '99-'00 Si coupe(DOHC VTEC). The EN1 is the rare '98-'00 GX sedan (natural gas).

I'd get rid of the '98 auto EX coupe and get a '99-'00 manual car. If you would be okay with a B16A, get the Si straight up. If you want a better swap and still have the options you're now used to, get an EX. If you really want a hatchback, look for a CX or DX hatch and then swap that in the future.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:19 AM

Default Re: help with a decision (NOFX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
We don't have real EKs in the US. But a lot of people do refer to '96-'00 Civics as EKs, though most are EJs. You have an EJ8 ('96-'00 EX coupe/sedan - all SOHC VTEC) right now. The EJ6 includes the '96-'00 CX hatch, '96-'00 DX hatch, '96-'00 DX coupe, '96-'00 DX sedan and '96-'00 LX sedan (all SOHC non VTEC). The EJ7 is the '96-'00 HX coupe (SOHC VTEC-E). The EM1 is the '99-'00 Si coupe(DOHC VTEC). The EN1 is the rare '98-'00 GX sedan (natural gas).

I'd get rid of the '98 auto EX coupe and get a '99-'00 manual car. If you would be okay with a B16A, get the Si straight up. If you want a better swap and still have the options you're now used to, get an EX. If you really want a hatchback, look for a CX or DX hatch and then swap that in the future.</TD></TR></TABLE>

hahaha *takes notes* thanks = P

i do seriously want a 99-00, and i'm a total DIYer, but i dont know, i mean i do see how that could all be a waste of money, just swapping the transmission and doing a 99-00 FEC. Were hatches made 99-00 or would i have to do a FEC if i got a hatch? by the way in case i just made that up because i'm still kinda picking up on the whole acronym thing, FEC is referring to a front end conversion. you know what i really wanna do though? for a friggin project is swap out the drivetrain on a civic to make it a RWD. i know that kind of thing is looked down upon cause why not just get an s2k right??? haha i know i know... i just like tinkering though so it'd just be something to do for myself. i wanna get into fabrication and eventually get a few friends together and open a customs shop. but anyways, off topic. i just wanna know what the best thing to do would be or at least the cheapest "bang for your buck" since that seems to be most favorable in my given situation.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:26 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mandark06 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hahaha *takes notes* thanks = P

i do seriously want a 99-00, and i'm a total DIYer, but i dont know, i mean i do see how that could all be a waste of money, just swapping the transmission and doing a 99-00 FEC. Were hatches made 99-00 or would i have to do a FEC if i got a hatch? by the way in case i just made that up because i'm still kinda picking up on the whole acronym thing, FEC is referring to a front end conversion. you know what i really wanna do though? for a friggin project is swap out the drivetrain on a civic to make it a RWD. i know that kind of thing is looked down upon cause why not just get an s2k right??? haha i know i know... i just like tinkering though so it'd just be something to do for myself. i wanna get into fabrication and eventually get a few friends together and open a customs shop. but anyways, off topic. i just wanna know what the best thing to do would be or at least the cheapest "bang for your buck" since that seems to be most favorable in my given situation.</TD></TR></TABLE>
It's not just cost. It's hassle. The front end might never match up right if you do it yourself and the conversion just seems like a pain in the ***. It's not just as easy as remove auto transmission and put on manual transmission.

Yes, there are '99-'00 hatchbacks (read my list again, it mentions '96-'00 CX hatch and '96-'00 DX hatch).

You have to look at it this way. You've already paid for this Civic, right? But to make it what you want you'd have to pay for the supplies for the front end conversion, supplies for tranny swap and tools for both (for anything you might not already have).

So right now it'd cost you:
- (Cost of car)
- (Cost of front end conversion)
- (Cost of transmission swap)

If you went with getting a '99-'00 hatch then you'd have:
+ (Amount of money you get from selling your current car)
- (Cost of car)
- (Cost of power door conversion - I believe you wanted this)

It sounds like both cars (the EX with the Y8 and the CX/DX with the Y7) would be just about as likely candidates for a swap. So we don't have to add that price on since it's not know if you want swap, turbo, nitrous or whatever.

Replacing it also means you'll be able to have the hatch that it seems like you might like to have.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:58 AM

Default Re: help with a decision (NOFX)

you know what? haha i agree

thanks