Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help Clutch issue 96 civic hatch

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 07:18 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Clutch issue 96 civic hatch

when the car is cold it kinda struggles when i let go of the clutch no matter how much gas i give.. but once its warmed up it's fine.. any ideas.. by struggles i mean kinda like a sputter but its not the engine
Old 04-27-2009, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Help Clutch issue 96 civic hatch

Why don't you think the problem is with the engine?
Old 04-27-2009, 07:32 PM
New User

i drive the car don't i.. i just know / feel it .. motor doesn't burn oil .. runs fine nothing abnormal.. but the clutch there fore.. juste feels differfent i have another 95 civic sedan.. i know clutches are different feel from car to car.. but i'm pretty sure another mechanic pointed me towards the clutch saying maybe fluid leaking in.. but that would do it all the time.. or would have some sort of continuous effect.. also possible pressure plate juste not putting enough pressure but once the ceramic heats up kinda grabs again said something about the springs now im not a total dumbass with cars but im not a mechanic but now assuming i am wrong.. what would you say then.. dont juste give me an anwser as to why don't you think it's the motor.. if it is then what would cause it .. either details or nothing cause that post did not get me anywheres sorry if i seem offensive but its a fact

EDIT oh and also its only when taking off from the first gear.. from a dead stop.. but from where i live the only dead stop is at my house the reste is either downhill or flat long road.. by the time i get to the next stop the car is warm

Last edited by Jrock1988; 04-27-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Clutch Engages and grips...what more do you want? got concerns, get down under your steering column and inspect the pin on the back of your clutch pedal and measure all that **** then compare it to spec. only way to check adjustment without cracking open ****.

Check MC, SC and lines. flush and fill tranny.

otherwise...its your motor. even if its an EX, I have an EX Coupe and dude, its slow..its a 1.6L N/A honda what can you expect.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NightCat
Clutch Engages and grips...what more do you want? got concerns, get down under your steering column and inspect the pin on the back of your clutch pedal and measure all that **** then compare it to spec. only way to check adjustment without cracking open ****.

otherwise...its your motor. even if its an EX, I have an EX Coupe and dude, its slow..its a 1.6L N/A honda what can you expect.
good logic
Old 04-27-2009, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jrock1988
i drive the car don't i.. i just know / feel it .. motor doesn't burn oil .. runs fine nothing abnormal.. but the clutch there fore.. juste feels differfent i have another 95 civic sedan.. i know clutches are different feel from car to car.. but i'm pretty sure another mechanic pointed me towards the clutch saying maybe fluid leaking in.. but that would do it all the time.. or would have some sort of continuous effect.. also possible pressure plate juste not putting enough pressure but once the ceramic heats up kinda grabs again said something about the springs now im not a total dumbass with cars but im not a mechanic but now assuming i am wrong.. what would you say then.. dont juste give me an anwser as to why don't you think it's the motor.. if it is then what would cause it .. either details or nothing cause that post did not get me anywheres sorry if i seem offensive but its a fact

EDIT oh and also its only when taking off from the first gear.. from a dead stop.. but from where i live the only dead stop is at my house the reste is either downhill or flat long road.. by the time i get to the next stop the car is warm
Based on limited information provided in your first post, it was unclear why you concluded that the problem is with the clutch and why you ruled out a problem with the engine. Hence the question in my first post. The additional information in your second post still does not eliminate a possible engine problem or prove a clutch problem.

This leads to additional questions that have not been addressed:

Is the CEL ON? Have you inspected the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor? Is the cold engine idle speed low?.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:27 AM
New User

i know honda's are not powerfull but i have a 1.5 that takes of with more kick then this 96 1.6 motor this one juste like grabs release grabs release grabs release kinda motion but onces im rolling its fine my 95 juste leaves smooth no kicking motion .. motor idles juste fine nothing abnormal as i said earlier i'm not a burn out i'm juste not certified.. hence why i'm asking you guys.. plugs were changed last years wires also.. ill drain the tranny and check lines.. make sure there aren't any leaks but no one anwser yet suppose it wasn't the clutch what is it.. can't juste say motor and it finishes there.. something needs to cause this..

and also the cel light is on but that is o2 sensor related the wires were not even long enough cause they changed the header from 96 to 92-95 had to extend the o2 sensor wires from the second one under the car all the way to the front.. well the dumbass juste twisted the wires then elec tap it.. so i know they don't make good contact i can fix that i juste did not take the time.. and if that causes the problem ill be damned

also there is no unnessesary reving cause by a slipping clutch

Last edited by Jrock1988; 04-28-2009 at 08:34 AM.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:00 PM
New User

tried something different... brakes on when i release clutch the car shakes.. compared to my other civic it juste kinda forcing to go forwards not shaking at all.. no wobble no nothing .. is this an issue?
Old 04-28-2009, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Why don't you think the problem is with the engine?
i love useless posts like this.

to the op...just check the clutch pedal measurements: clutch should disengage @ 3.27in minimum from the floor, clutch pedal height @ 6.5in from the floor, and the clutch pedal freeplay should be at .47-.83in and including the pedal play 1-10in. first set your pedal height then adjust your play using the clutch switch. when this is done check the disengagement height to make sure its where it should be.

also inspect the master and slave cylinders and make sure there are no leaks and make sure your not losing fluid from the reservoir over time.

if all checks out...how many miles do you have on your clutch? its a possibility that its beginning to wear out. good luck.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and also the cel light is on but that is o2 sensor related the wires were not even long enough cause they changed the header from 96 to 92-95 had to extend the o2 sensor wires from the second one under the car all the way to the front.. well the dumbass juste twisted the wires then elec tap it.. so i know they don't make good contact i can fix that i juste did not take the time.. and if that causes the problem ill be damned

also there is no unnessesary reving cause by a slipping clutch
tried something different... brakes on when i release clutch the car shakes.. compared to my other civic it juste kinda forcing to go forwards not shaking at all.. no wobble no nothing .. is this an issue?
Yeah, a bad O2 sensor would not cause the problem. Do you think the problem may actually be clutch chatter:

Do you have oil dripping from the weep hole between the engine and transmission? An oil soaked clutch will also cause clutch chatter.

Last edited by Former User; 04-28-2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:07 PM
New User

Thanks Ron good call but why the whole blue square thing haha but thanks yeah ill check on it no.. no leaks changed the fluid today.. shifting smoother still shaky i assume is the plates possibly being toast ill rip it apart and look for any hotspots or rings see what happens.. thanks for the info also mugen ill check those before taking it apart good call on that .. miles on the cluthc would not be sure.. car has possible 260 xxx .. spedometer works when it wants so im not sure
Old 04-29-2009, 01:11 PM
New User

oh dude you don't live where i do.. i seen these cars specificly these cars with ppl that can drive and let me tell you .. there is no dissapointment
Old 04-29-2009, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

...but why the whole blue square thing haha...
Good luck with the repairs. The blue image was taken from this clutch diagnosis website, which I forgot to give proper credit.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like the clutch is shot