Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help with Chassis codes

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2002, 05:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Chassis codes

I am sure thsi has been posted a thousand times, but i did a search and could not find where. i wanna know what the definitions for the chassis codes are. example what is a eg, eh, ej, etc etc? The reason i as is a used to have an integra (sniff, sniff) and its sold now, and i just bought a 92 CX and i wanna know what it is called. thanks
Old 06-08-2002, 06:21 AM

Default Re: Help with Chassis codes (boostedteg)

I am sure thsi has been posted a thousand times, but i did a search and could not find where. i wanna know what the definitions for the chassis codes are. example what is a eg, eh, ej, etc etc? The reason i as is a used to have an integra (sniff, sniff) and its sold now, and i just bought a 92 CX and i wanna know what it is called. thanks
1992 Chassis codes (there was no coupe in 1992, so I didn't include it)

EH2 - civic hatchback with 1.5 L engine - (CX,DX,VX)
EH3 - Civic hatchback with 1.6 L VTEC - (si)
EG8 - Civic 4 door with 1.5 L engine (DX,LX)
EH9 - Civic 4 door with 1.6 VTEC (EX)

VIN numbers on Hondas give the chassis codes. For 1992's its the 4th-6th digits

example:
2HGEH234?NH500001

That's a canadian made CX. (sorry for the ?, I don't know how to calclulate the "check digit").

That help?

Shawn
Old 06-08-2002, 06:45 AM

Default Re: Help with Chassis codes (shawnhayes)

yes thanks
Old 06-08-2002, 08:17 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Fayetteville GA?

Is this Brian?

Anyways, I hate to get too technical, but there is one thing I see on Shawn's listings that is incorrect:

My old 1992 Si was an EH3, while my fiancee's 1992 Si is an EH2, so it would seem that there's no true ryhme or reason to it all.

The common chassis codes used here, although sometimes incorrect are as follows:

1988-1991 Civic: EF
1992-1995 Civic: EG
1996-2000 Civic: EK
1990-1993 Integra: DA
1994-2001 Integra: DC

These are used for quick reference though. In reality the USDM codes are totally unpredictable.

Like:

1993-2000 Civic coupe is an EJ even though the body style underwent major changes in 1996.

Old 06-08-2002, 08:20 AM

Default Re: Help with Chassis codes (B18C5-EH2)

yes tom thsi is bryan, and yes i got rid of my integra. beleive it or not me and chris E. traded so he has my teg now. i have to finish putting to gether the hatchback, but hopefuilly it will done soon, btw, do u have any of your stock interior parts left?
Old 06-08-2002, 08:21 AM
Former Moderator

Let's take this to IM y0!

I'll hit you up first!
Old 06-08-2002, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help with Chassis codes

well since you have a 92 cx. you can just call it a.. 92 CX!!
whats the big whoop with chassis codes
Old 06-08-2002, 10:07 AM

Default Re: Help with Chassis codes (jonas)

becuase saying I have an EF, or EG is alot easier than saying i have a 1992 honda civic cx.

[Modified by boostedteg, 2:07 PM 6/8/2002]

[Modified by boostedteg, 2:08 PM 6/8/2002]
Old 06-08-2002, 10:29 AM

well since you have a 92 cx. you can just call it a.. 92 CX!!
whats the big whoop with chassis codes
Cause most of us have thrown away a lot of the things that make a CX a CX. My CX no longer has the motor, or seats, or dashboard, or shifter that makes it even a CX.

What I have left that really counts is the chassis. So, since the chassis of the CX, VX, and DX are the same without all the trim pieces, it makes more sense to use the chassis code rather than the model.

Shawn
Old 06-08-2002, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

becuase saying I have an EF, or EG is alot easier than saying i have a 1992 honda civic cx.
you mean it makes you sound more JDM
Old 06-08-2002, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it doesnt matter.. its a CX still. i dont care if my car has another motor..its still a CX. and Si with ITR parts is still an Si..

bah..to each his own. "92 cx" is so much harder than saying "eh, ek, eg, dc2, etc".. uhh right.
Old 06-08-2002, 10:55 AM

Love your sig Jonas....hehe
Old 06-08-2002, 11:13 AM

it doesnt matter.. its a CX still. i dont care if my car has another motor..its still a CX. and Si with ITR parts is still an Si..
Bullcrap. A 92 CX chassis with a DX motor, cruise control, rear wiper, and side trim might as well be a DX. I guess a moron with a good job is still a moron to you huh? Well I call him the president.

Its so much easier to say EH2 than 92 CX with DX trim. Everybody who knows what you're talking about will understand EH2.

Shawn
Old 06-08-2002, 11:18 AM

wow
Old 06-08-2002, 12:44 PM

Default Re: Help with Chassis codes (J-MiGiRL702)

i dont see why ur worried about it jonas, let then man call it what he wansts its his car u know. call ur car waht u want , adn every one esle will follow
Old 06-08-2002, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help with Chassis codes (DRAG lll INTEGRA)

i dont see why ur worried about it jonas, let then man call it what he wansts its his car u know. call ur car waht u want , adn every one esle will follow
worried? i'm not worried. i simply said whats the big deal with chassis codes. i just dont give a **** about chassis codes. i have a 97 hatchback with extra goodies. but i dont say "i have an ej6". if someone asks me what i have.. "a 97 hatch". wowwwwwwwwwww
Old 06-08-2002, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its so much easier to say EH2 than 92 CX with DX trim. Everybody who knows what you're talking about will understand EH2.

Shawn
and everyone who DOESNT know what you're talking about wont. where if you just say 92 cx with blah blah, EVERYONE will know what you're talking about.
Old 06-08-2002, 02:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=176125

there's an archived thread about chassis codes.

forgot to do a search for 'chassis codes' in archived topics

hope that helps.
Old 06-08-2002, 09:05 PM

Default Re: Help with Chassis codes (poison)

little last now poison
Old 06-09-2002, 05:59 AM

and everyone who DOESNT know what you're talking about wont. where if you just say 92 cx with blah blah, EVERYONE will know what you're talking about.
Hmmm. This may partially be the point. If you give a crap, you learn the chassis codes. If they aren't salient to the discussion, or you're not interested, then you don't know what anybody is talking about.

Shortcuts and abbreviations are part and parcel of technical work. Learning what they are is part of the educational process of becoming familiar with the trade.

I can't even begin to say how many times I've seen some amateur mechanic screw his ride up by tackling a project he was neither qualified for, nor educated enough to understand the implications of what he was doing. Just telling everybody that all this stuff is easy and bulletproof is garbage. Chassis codes are part of that. And saying that EVERYBODY knows what a 92 CX came with as standard equipment is also crap, but those who have educated themselves to know what the chassis is will know what basic configuration the chassis comes with. Who gives a holy shnikee that the 92 CX was the last Honda to have vinyl seats, when the seats are out of the car anyway? This is the point, and part and parcel of WHY chassis codes are here to stay.

BTW - ever notice that the chassis codes also DEFINE the boards within Honda-Tech? Hmm. Funny that.

Shawn
Old 06-09-2002, 06:46 AM
Former Moderator

I see both points here by both jonas and shawn:

When I came here I can't tell you how many topics I saw with "EG6" in them.

"Look at pics of my EG6!"

"How do you remove the rear strruts from an EG6?"

"Anybody ever convert an EG6 to RHD?"

"Show us pics of your EG6!"

All of these topics were the norm here on the Civic board, yet they are all pretty stupid. An EG6 is a JDM Civic SiRII, so none of those topics make any sense. How do you convert a RHD car to RHD? People were using a very specific term such as EG6 to describe everything from a 1992 CX hatch to a 1994 EX coupe. Hell, even I had the SN B18C5-EG6, but soon I realized that "JDM" was becoming nothing more than a way for others to make fun of "non-JDM" rides or whatever. My SN was incorrect, but I had it because I thought having an EG6 would have been cool.

Well, the JDM thing has tunred into nothing more than bragging rights, and the JDM chassis codes play right along with that in many cases.

Jonas's point is that some people spout off JDM chassis codes like it's some "code speak" and they do it because it's cool.

Shawn's contention seems to be that knowing chassis codes should be an integral part of the learning process because Honda uses them, so why shouldn't we?

The hard thing is using CORRECT chassis codes to describe the car. In this case most people don't even know the right codes, so when talking about an "EH2" you will end up with more questions about "what is an EH2" than you will get answers to the original question.

Although it takes an additional few seconds, I try to type "1992-1995 hatch" rather than EH because people try to tell me "it's an EG6" or some ****.

I grow tired of it, and my signature has always tried to explain that...

Old 06-09-2002, 06:56 AM

Default Re: Help with Chassis codes (B18C5-EH2)

Jonas's point is that some people spout off JDM chassis codes like it's some "code speak" and they do it because it's cool.
Hmm. Never thought that was the point he was making. For us, code speak is integral, and I've always agreed with your sig. I've always tried to avoid referring to 92-95 Civics as "EG's" and actually try to refer to them as 92-95 Civics, but when I'm talking about a specific chassis (like our EH2's), I do use the codes.

(I wanted an EH3 when I first bought in 1992, but couldn't afford it, BTW, I'm glad I got a light as crap EH2)

Shawn's contention seems to be that knowing chassis codes should be an integral part of the learning process because Honda uses them, so why shouldn't we?
Yes, exactly.

The hard thing is using CORRECT chassis codes to describe the car. In this case most people don't even know the right codes, so when talking about an "EH2" you will end up with more questions about "what is an EH2" than you will get answers to the original question.
I know, I know. But, frankly Tom, you spend a lot of time trying to educate, well, ahem, can I say, assclowns. Sorry. I try to avoid obscenity, but sometimes it seems appropriate. Anyway, I avoid some of the debates I see you tangled up in. Not that I don't enjoy them, but I just don't have the tolerance.

Although it takes an additional few seconds, I try to type "1992-1995 hatch" rather than EH because people try to tell me "it's an EG6" or some ****.
Well, I go for that, because that does limit the description to two chassis, but referring to our hybrids with "92 CX with blankedly blank blank" is just pointless. Spends more bandwidth than it's worth.

Shawn
Old 09-24-2002, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Shawn

Well, I have an EG, and if people are here reading this post under the EG+ Civic / Del Sol section, then I have no more explaining to do.
Old 09-25-2002, 05:05 AM

Default Re: Help with Chassis codes (Steve Berman)

talkin about a thread from the dead...
Old 09-25-2002, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help with Chassis codes (poison)

I thought I had an EK , but I have a EM ?

Quick Reply: Help with Chassis codes