Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help!! Car wont start. Dizzy or main relay??

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! Car wont start. Dizzy or main relay??

FIX'd!!!

Last edited by slikz714; 04-27-2009 at 03:19 AM.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Help!! Car wont start. Dizzy or main relay??

Originally Posted by slikz714
im not sure what it is, either my dizzy is bad or main relay? how can you tell which ones causing it? i have a d16y7 in my civic hatchy. it was pretty hott the other day then my car started to bog and ride sluggishly after i pumped 2 gals of gas. after i've driven around for over 30+ miles i parked it at a buddies pad for 420 and left later during that night with my car turning on for a split second then just completely shutting off sounding like the engine just completely lost power. any suggestions? i need to get home but my car won't turn over

You say it won't turn over..alot of people get that confused with it not starting? So when you say it won't turn over that should mean that when you turn the key to start the engine like usual it does nothing..as in starter never does anything. OR is turning over but just not starting?

I think you can take the pumping 2 gallons of gas out of this equation as thats just a variable that I don't think plays into this problem. I had a problem similar to what you describe 2 weeks ago. I drove my car a few times one day..came home. I was home for a little while and left to go somewhere. Engine started for about 3 seconds and died and my CEL light was on. I turned switch back off and back on and never heard my fuel pump prime.

My CEL wouldn't go off..I tried to pull the code but it would not give me an error code. This was werid to me so I popped the hood and check my 15amp ECU fuse and it was blown. I traced this to my O2 Sensor wire as it had fell down against my 1/2 shaft and the insulation got rubbed off the wire causing a short.

Earlier that day my engine would miss here and there and cut out a bit. Probably becasue as I was driving the wire was moving around and every now and then would barely bump the 1/2 shaft causing a short..after I parked it was all the way against it and completely shorted out when I started the engine later.

So is your Fuel Pump Priming? CEL? Getting Fuel and Spark?
Old 04-22-2009, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also as well..Could be your coil..electrical problems are nasty. I had a coil go bad after I swapped in my LS and it cut off on me heading home from work..finally fired back up and I made it like 8 mins and it started missing and sputtering and died again. Turns out it was the coil.

Sometimes you can re-solder the Main Relay connections and use it again.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

omg everyones car is breaking down while they were on their way to a friends house on 420!! holy **** my fuel pump went out that day lol
Old 04-22-2009, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well, turning over i ment i'll hear it cranking but it just wont start up. there weren't any cells that showed up that i can recall. i do also have to check if it is my fuel pump/filter etc. i dont recall if i heard the fuel pump when i turn my key on. any other thoughts? dizzy maybe? if it was my main relay, i wouldnt hear the 3 clicks while key is on would i? i am thinking it might be fuel pump but gotta wait and see when i can check that out
Old 04-22-2009, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All my experiances with main relays..if its not working..the fuel pump won't start.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I will tell you guy's if you think your coil or ignitor is bad just buy a rebuilt dizzy.

These ignition systems are getting old. I have been there done it the cheap way, only to end up buying a dizzy after, chasing dizzy issues for a year. It would have been much cheaper to just have spent the $170 or so dollars and do it right the first time.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:24 PM

My car done something like that and it turned out to be the rotor button had come lose.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If it's got spark and no fuel, chances are a bad fuel pump. Vise versa, chances are a bad dizzy. If you don't have either, it's the main relay or ecu.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 1992Si
I will tell you guy's if you think your coil or ignitor is bad just buy a rebuilt dizzy.

These ignition systems are getting old. I have been there done it the cheap way, only to end up buying a dizzy after, chasing dizzy issues for a year. It would have been much cheaper to just have spent the $170 or so dollars and do it right the first time.
I like your concept, Do it right the first time. Its one I live buy and I think the way that MOST of us want to do it.

And as you said buying a new Dizzy "should" put dizzy/coil/rotor button issues at bay for quite sometime..but I will say that when I swapped my LS into my EG, I bought a new REMAN dizzy from Autozone. 2 months later my engine died out of the blue as I was making my way home from work. After going through the regular diagnosis steps you take when your engine just shuts off..everything checked out great but I never checked the dizzy componets cause I had the "well its new..it can't be bad syndrome" in my head .I was thinking..damn the dizzy is only freakin 2 months old..turns out the coil went bad after only 2 months..one of those FREAK things I think but never rule it out even if it is new.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:37 PM

ive been having sorta the same issues, my car will start up and run fine for a while, then all of a sudden in mid rev it justs drops to zero and i lose all power, having to end up on the side of the road and turn it off, then it will crank but wont start, no cels, let it sit for a while and then itll start again, my lights dim and brighten through the revs, just replaced the dizzy with a remanufactured one and the problem still persists, also replaced the plugs and wires also
Old 09-15-2009, 06:37 PM

i just joined the tech so im gonna make my own thread on it and try for some help, thanks