Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HELP: Car Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP: Car Overheating

let me start off by saying my car has a swap in it.(d16y8)last night i took it out on the highway and drove it for like an hour, and park it, because i notice that there was smokeing coming out of the car. when i open my hood up to see what was wrong, there was coolant squirting all over the place.The engine bay was really hot, and one of the rubber tubing came off and that why it was squirting coolant. I then notice that the fan didnt work, so i guess that made the engine overheadted.

My question is how can i get it to work, i already plug it in the engine harness, but it doesnt seem to work, can someone help me please???????
Old 03-11-2006, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: HELP: Car Overheating (vxcivic)

You need to unplug the harness at the coolant temperature sensor and jump that connector... if the fan comes on then the sensor is bad...

However the fan may not neccisarily have to have been on after the hose blew off and it sprayed coolant everywhere...

What hose popped off? if it was one of the radiator hoses my incling would be that you may have a bad headgasket... that builds excessive pressure in the system a lot of times...

It's not likely that your fan not coming on made the car over heat if you were driving around... if it was in traffic maybe... but driving around you have a good amount of airflow to the radiator... not likely that would cause an over heat.
Old 03-11-2006, 03:58 PM

Default Re: HELP: Car Overheating (NonovUrbizniz)

Did the smoke come from the exhaust or from under the hood? What color was the smoke? Was there any power loss? It could possible be a head gasket but that wouldnt really explain the hose blowing off or the fan not working, but the smoking and overheating definetly could be a head gasket
Old 03-11-2006, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you see the guage read hot? My guess is that your hose just came off, nothing else. It didn't over heat. Put the hose back on, fill it with new coolant, bleed the system and see if it over heats.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (old man neri)

+1

The spring clips honda uses to secure the radiator hoses fatigue over time and can pop loose sometimes.

Also when you refill the system and bleed off the air let it idle for a while and watch the temp guage... if it goes any higher than normal then shut off the car and jump the ECT harness... if the fan comes on then you have to replace the ECT sensor. If not then somethings wrong with the fan or it's wiring/fuse.

If the fan comes on as normal while it's idling and it still overheats chances are you have a blown headgasket. Could be something else though... take it a step at a time.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:25 PM

it wasnt the raditor hose that pop of it near the engine, the T looking thingy pop off. and also i try to do what you say about reconnecting it and all but it still doesnt seem to work..

and the smoke comes from the engine, and it white smoke, so im pretty sure it coolant because green water was all over my hood,So it cant be the gasket.. it just happen after i took it out to the highway, other then that normal street driving doesnt affect it at all.

one more thing i did some research and try to get a new radiator and fan from honda, and it came out to be 400+ for it.. that a lot.. so anybody know of a good place to get one i will like to thanks in advance
Old 03-13-2006, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vxcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vxcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it wasnt the raditor hose that pop of it near the engine, the T looking thingy pop off. and also i try to do what you say about reconnecting it and all but it still doesnt seem to work..

and the smoke comes from the engine, and it white smoke, so im pretty sure it coolant because green water was all over my hood,So it cant be the gasket.. it just happen after i took it out to the highway, other then that normal street driving doesnt affect it at all.

one more thing i did some research and try to get a new radiator and fan from honda, and it came out to be 400+ for it.. that a lot.. so anybody know of a good place to get one i will like to thanks in advance</TD></TR></TABLE>

You most likely do NOT need a new radiator and fan...

The headgasket CAUSED the hose or T or whatver to blow... If you fix the T or whatever chances are it will pop again.

TEST THE ECT... it's a sensor with two wires that is mounted RIGHT next to your thermostat housing... Just unplug it and jump the two wires going to it... if the fan comes on YOUR FAN IS FINE.

If it doesn't then there is more than likely a problem with a Relay NOT the fan... fans don't really go bad very often...

And unless your car was leaking coolant before most likely your radiator does NOT need to be replaced.

From the sounds of things you don't really know how to approach this... If I were you I'd take it to a mechanic... or have someone you KNOW is competant look at it.