Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HELP! Car noob problems with alternator adjustment bolt and A/C belt

Old 07-09-2019, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default HELP! Car noob problems with alternator adjustment bolt and A/C belt

Hey guys,

While I was driving my 1995 Honda Civic EX today, I heard something fall out of my car while doing pulls. Paranoid, I carefully drove back to my parents house in hopes of nothing bad happening while driving. Right before I pulled into the driveway, I heard something else fall out of the engine bay. This time around, I was able to run back and find what fell out, and found this:

I'm pretty sure this is the adjustment bolt for the alternator? I could not find the nut that goes with it, so I can only assume that the nut was what fell out earlier, causing the bolt to back out just now. On top of that, the AC belt popped out of place. I don't know anything about this sort of stuff, but the middle pulley for the AC isn't moving at all. Since there's no belt, shouldn't it be able to rotate freely?

I'm going to buy new belts for the A/C, power steering pump, and alternator tomorrow, along with some blue Loctite and a new nut for the alternator adjustment bolt. Like I said, I have no idea what I'm doing, so I would greatly appreciate any tips on what to look out for or what else to check/replace. Thank you so much!
Old 07-09-2019, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP! Car noob problems with alternator adjustment bolt and A/C belt

Oh, and I forgot to mention: this isn't the engine original to the Civic EX EJ1. Instead of the SOHC VTEC D16, this is a SOHC VTEC-E D15B. I'm not sure if there's a difference between the two when it comes to the power steering pump, pulleys, alternator, etc. but I thought I would add that in just in case there actually is a significant difference.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Re: HELP! Car noob problems with alternator adjustment bolt and A/C belt

Parts on any of the D series SOHC engines interchange readily. That bolt is for the bottom of the alternator, it pushes through from the inside side toward the belt side. Very unusual for it to fall out, usually you would have to beat it out to remove the alternator. The alternator belt is adjusted by loosening the top bolt and sliding it on the curved bracket. Also loosen the larger bolt that holds the curved bracket to the engine, and the nut on the bottom bolt while you do that. The best way to work on the belts etc is to jack up the car (and support it safely) then remove the wheel and the plastic fender liner so you can either work from above or reach in through the fender area as necessary.

The A/C pulleys both the idler and the compressor one should spin freely with no belt on. To put the A/C belt on you will need to detach the motor mount. It is usually easier to remove the two small bolts that go up into the frame rather than the large center one. Then rock the engine forward so there is space to slip the belt through.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 328 Likes on 308 Posts

If the A/C compressor pulley does not spin freely, then don't install an A/C belt as the compressor is likely seized.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mk378
Parts on any of the D series SOHC engines interchange readily. That bolt is for the bottom of the alternator, it pushes through from the inside side toward the belt side. Very unusual for it to fall out, usually you would have to beat it out to remove the alternator. The alternator belt is adjusted by loosening the top bolt and sliding it on the curved bracket. Also loosen the larger bolt that holds the curved bracket to the engine, and the nut on the bottom bolt while you do that. The best way to work on the belts etc is to jack up the car (and support it safely) then remove the wheel and the plastic fender liner so you can either work from above or reach in through the fender area as necessary.

The A/C pulleys both the idler and the compressor one should spin freely with no belt on. To put the A/C belt on you will need to detach the motor mount. It is usually easier to remove the two small bolts that go up into the frame rather than the large center one. Then rock the engine forward so there is space to slip the belt through.
Originally Posted by muellersfan
If the A/C compressor pulley does not spin freely, then don't install an A/C belt as the compressor is likely seized.
Thanks for your responses! The pulley on the compressor itself is able to rotate freely. However, what I believe to be the idler pulley (the smallest one in the middle) isn't moving at all. (I'm not actually sure if this is the correct pulley, but it isn't moving nonetheless.)

Also, I am currently trying to remove the A/C belt as I'm writing this post. However, a lower engine mount is preventing me from removing it. I don't have many resources available to me, but is it possible for me to remove the A/C belt without removing the mount? If not, am I able to remove the mount without having to jack up the car by the oil pan?

Old 07-10-2019, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Remove and disassemble the idler pulley. You may find that somebody reassembled it incorrectly.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Yes the idler can be put together wrong.

https://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com...essor-sanden-3

The special part #15 must be present. The washer 17 needs to face the right way. I thought that my car had more than two parts there-- but this is what the drawing shows.

If the bearing in the idler pulley 14 is bad, it should be a standard #6203 bearing. It can be taken out of the pulley and replaced.
The following users liked this post:
Old 07-11-2019, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The oil leak shown in your picture is often diagnosed as a leaking cam or crank oil seal or leaking oil pan gasket.

For both Civics I have owned, oil leaking at this location came from the oil pump. Liquid gasket (HondaBond) is used to create a seal between the oil pump and block. This seal failed and was leaking in both cases. Removal of the oil pump and the old gasket material from the oil pump and block mating surfaces followed by resealing with HondaBond eliminated the oil leak.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:08 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

I've had that alternator bolt fall out too. I also thought there was no way it could come out with tension on the belt, but I was wrong.

The lower mount that is keeping you from removing the belt is only a torque mount. You won't need to support the engine or anything to remove this mount. Lay on your back under the car and look up - remove the two (I believe) 14mm bolts holding the mount to the frame of the car. Then remove the (again, I believe) 19mm nut in the center of the mount you can see in the picture. The mount should then slide off the AC bracket and allow you to remove the belt.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 794 Likes on 734 Posts

Remove the two 14mm headed bolts that affix the driver's side torque mount to the underside of the frame rail. Then, move to the top of the engine bay and LOOSEN the three 14mm nuts/bolts found on the upper engine mount to allow the driver's side of the engine to "droop" slightly. You can then sneak the A/C belt out between the top of the lower torque mount ears and the frame rail. Reverse this procedure and tighten/re-install all five bolts and nuts and you are A/C belt free.