Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help: Can short people have nice seats too??

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 11:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: Can short people have nice seats too??

Okay heres the problem, i have 2001 usdm type r seats but Im only 5,3 and can barley see over the steering wheel when I sit inside my 96 Ek! I bought some em1 seats to correct my problem but now my interior is a bit off since Im losing the red and black color of the type R seats.

My question is...is there any type of rail/seat bracket combination that I can use so i can make use of my type r seats??

Also, what Honda oem seats are notorious for sitting "high".

All imput is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-31-2008, 11:36 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm so subscribing to this thread in the hopes of some good suggestions.

Hopefully someone has some decent advice to still being able to see the road with other seats.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Help: Can short people have nice seats too?? (blk_hatch978)

I had DC5 Recaro seats with OEM JDM ITR rails in my old 92 hatch and it sat pretty high. So high that I swapped them out after two weeks for my Del Sols. I would figure ITR/CTR Recaros with OEM rails will sit pretty high. Hard to see but maybe you can make out how high it is from the floor.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:52 PM
Banned

Well I Don't have the luxury of sitting my behind on recaros, so is it possible to take off the usdm itr bracket/rails (i really don't know which is the one that makes the height) and swap them with the em1 brackets/rails??

I honestly don't know which part of the seat makes it sit low or high, would that be the rails or the bracket? Are all honda brackets and rails interchangeble?

thanks again guys
Old 07-31-2008, 11:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blk_hatch978)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blk_hatch978 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well I Don't have the luxury of sitting my behind on recaros, so is it possible to take off the usdm itr bracket/rails (i really don't know which is the one that makes the height) and swap them with the em1 brackets/rails??

I honestly don't know which part of the seat makes it sit low or high, would that be the rails or the bracket? Are all honda brackets and rails interchangeble?

thanks again guys </TD></TR></TABLE>

You are using stock 6th gen rails already if all 4 bolts of your ITR seats are being used. So, swapping out for EM1 rails is pointless because they are the same.

You can also use these...

Old 08-01-2008, 05:06 AM
Banned

my ek only takes 3 bolts on each of the type r seats, not 4. What can I possibly do to those seats so I can see over the steering wheel?? Any1 have a clue?
Old 08-01-2008, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blk_hatch978 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I honestly don't know which part of the seat makes it sit low or high, would that be the rails or the bracket? Are all honda brackets and rails interchangeble?

thanks again guys </TD></TR></TABLE>

no, not all brackets are interchangable from car to car. Thats why people that put seats from one car into another sometimes have to switch out the entire seat pan etc.

aftermarket seat brackets/sliders i have no idea (like for race seats) which controls height (because i have seen some that bolt into the side of the seat vs into the bottom like stock honda seats). but as far as stock seats... the sliders or "rails" don't control height... they are just the part with the slot the allow the seat to slide back and forth, kind of like the track on a desk drawer or computer desk keyboard tray. the rails would have to be what controls the height. And I still don't think that is really the factor either b/c they pretty much sit on top of the raised part of the floor pan. One thing that makes a big difference in how high the seats sit are the seats themself. how thick the bottom portion is. del sols have super thin bottoms, hence you sit on the floor.

if you know anybody that can bend thin steel (somebody with a type of bending press tool)... you could take your rails off, take 4 strips of steel... two the same length, bend the two ends and drill holes (this is where they bolt to the floor pan of the car) and take the other two strips of steel and have them welded (one in the front and one in the back) from side to side to give the new brackets a set width and stability. instead of bending the new brackets to fold tight over the floor pan you could make them come up an inch or so higher then bend. then study how to get the sliders switched over to your new high rise brackets. Just be sure to use a sturdy steel and have some very good welds.. you want to be sure it won't all just break apart god forbid you are ever in an accident.

Just an idea if you are a little creative.... i made it sound a LOT more difficult than it actually would be i think.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:05 AM

sounds like your gonna need to do some custom fab work
Old 08-01-2008, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BlueIntegraBoy)

OMG HAIIII!!
Old 08-01-2008, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nix94delsol)

^^ Now whats the point in that? this is a tech thread that could be useful to people in the future. No need to go doing stupid crap and taking stabs at somebody b/c his/her height.

the guy that posted the phone books as a booster seat, he at least tried to add something positive to the thread. gtfo
Old 08-01-2008, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blk_hatch978 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my ek only takes 3 bolts on each of the type r seats, not 4. What can I possibly do to those seats so I can see over the steering wheel?? Any1 have a clue?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Since 3 bolts are used, you are current using stock Integra rails. I don't think it will make any difference in height, but for safety, I would swap the inner rails to stock 6th gen. That way you can use all 4 bolts.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BlueIntegraBoy)

RSX and EP3 seats I've researched end up sitting kind of high when bolted/fabbed into cars like ours, could be worth looking into. How much higher would you need to be to be comfortable?

Perhaps, like some others said, you will get the best results from taking it to a fab shop, and having them just fit your seats to your height with some custom spaced brackets.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BlackoutVTi)

i have the exact opposite problem. im 6'4" and when i once bought seats my head was completly sideways in my car. these seats i bought were from a 2004 civic. they sit very high and are adjustable so they can go even higher. for someone who is legitamately a foot shorter then myself those would be great seats. the ep3 seats may be the same way cause those, like the 04 seats, are from a car with a higher roof line and more upright seating position. i have to get low rails and racing seats for my car cause even stock is starting to be annoying.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ep3 seats sit high, and at least look nicer then the ones you have had to use now.

either that or find a good welder to fab up some brackets to make your other seats sit higher.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:37 AM
Banned

Thanks alot guys! I appreciate it, I found a welder in my area , Im going to with custom stuff and Ill see how that works. I'll keep you guys updated. :Thumbsup
Old 08-01-2008, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Rsx seats are high
Old 08-01-2008, 11:04 AM

Default Re: (NOFX)

gs-r leather
Old 08-01-2008, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (xXx Justin xXx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xXx Justin xXx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^^ Now whats the point in that? this is a tech thread that could be useful to people in the future. No need to go doing stupid crap and taking stabs at somebody b/c his/her height.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

taking a stab huh? i love it how your so serious about this

here ive got one for you

Ethug, you fail
Old 08-01-2008, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlackoutVTi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">RSX and EP3 seats I've researched end up sitting kind of high when bolted/fabbed into cars like ours, could be worth looking into. How much higher would you need to be to be comfortable?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, my friend has some Ep3 seats in his EG and they sit high. and he aint no little guy, so he's hittin the roof almost! this is probably your best bet

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nix94delsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
taking a stab huh? i love it how your so serious about this
</TD></TR></TABLE>

some people are here to learn. just cause half the crap you post ain't tech, don't think everyone wants to hear it in a tech fourm
Old 08-01-2008, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (NastyHabitzCRX)

I don't have any height issues, but I've worked with fabricators long enough to know that you can weld in a plate or something similar to increase how high the rails are.

Bump how high the rails are is probably your best bet. My friend/boss did it for this midget (she was a legit midget too...) - just cut some pieces of metal and used them to raise the rails up, then welded them in place.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

xxx justin xxx ... theres nothing wrong with having fun while learning. i actually got a good laugh and learned something off of this
Old 08-02-2008, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (biggjerryc)

some might find it funny, if i was that short as a man, and somebody posted something like that to pick on me, i would have taken offense. and for the record... def no ethuggin here . no poor grammer.... threats about pullin out my heat and whatever... if you're going to poke fun at somebody, at least try to help them with their problem.. otherwise it is just a completely pointless post.. which used to be frowned on around these tech forums..