Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   Help! B18b1 in 97 EX coupe won't rev past 3k and bogs, no CEL! (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/help-b18b1-97-ex-coupe-wont-rev-past-3k-bogs-no-cel-2430806/)

scbmx87 11-14-2008 05:04 PM

Help! B18b1 in 97 EX coupe won't rev past 3k and bogs, no CEL!

Hey everyone, just swapped a 97 B18b1 into my 97 EX coupe and it wont rev past 3k and it bogs, there are NO CEL!

I had to use a DX harness in this car due to buying it as a shell and not having an engine harness in it. I did the 3 wire IACV fix and the CKF sensor fix. I'm running an OBD1 P75 ECU with an OBD2a to OBD1 jumper harness.

I had a timing issue before which caused it to run like shit and not idle right, but it was fixed. Would my dizzy timing cause it to bog and limit the RPMs that much?

I've heard that my TPS could be out of alignment but not broken to where its throwing a code, we did hit it when we put the motor in. I can't get ahold of one to test it, so I really don't want to spend the money if thats not the issue.

I've also heard that my car is acting like its in limp mode, how do I diagnose if it is and get rid of it?

The car is low on fuel as well, but i've never seen fuel cause it to only rev to a certain rpm...If i let it idle, it'll idle forever.

Please everyone, any suggestions are welcome, need this thing on the road asap.

Thanks in advance everyone.

scbmx87 11-14-2008 05:24 PM

Re: Help! B18b1 in 97 EX coupe won't rev past 3k and bogs, no CEL! (scbmx87)

Also, it doesn't respond to me pressing on the gas very well...

DougieFreshZero 11-14-2008 06:12 PM

Re: Help! B18b1 in 97 EX coupe won't rev past 3k and bogs, no CEL! (scbmx87)

Sounds like a timing issue to me....maybe off a tooth on the t-belt and the o2 sensor is going crazy seeing all the unburned fuel mixed with what could be a totally different mixture from another cylinder. Just to be sure I would line up all the timing marks and put a scrwdriver in a cylinder just make sure your marks are actually lining up when the cylinder is at TDC.

fatpride111 11-14-2008 06:18 PM

i had the same 'wont rev past 3k' problem, but mine was because i had code 16 (fuel injectors), which activated code 13 (barometer..something) and its like a saftey precaution thing on JDM ecus (like my p30). a shop told me it did that to keep from leaning it out from a lack of fuel possibly because of bad injectors, etc.

i got it fixed because i had the codes deleted at a tuning shop after i got the problems fixed. you could try that...

EfpormantypR 12-07-2009 12:18 PM

Re: Help! B18b1 in 97 EX coupe won't rev past 3k and bogs, no CEL!

Originally Posted by scbmx87 (Post 36402071)
Hey everyone, just swapped a 97 B18b1 into my 97 EX coupe and it wont rev past 3k and it bogs, there are NO CEL!

I had to use a DX harness in this car due to buying it as a shell and not having an engine harness in it. I did the 3 wire IACV fix and the CKF sensor fix. I'm running an OBD1 P75 ECU with an OBD2a to OBD1 jumper harness.

I had a timing issue before which caused it to run like shit and not idle right, but it was fixed. Would my dizzy timing cause it to bog and limit the RPMs that much?

I've heard that my TPS could be out of alignment but not broken to where its throwing a code, we did hit it when we put the motor in. I can't get ahold of one to test it, so I really don't want to spend the money if thats not the issue.

I've also heard that my car is acting like its in limp mode, how do I diagnose if it is and get rid of it?

The car is low on fuel as well, but i've never seen fuel cause it to only rev to a certain rpm...If i let it idle, it'll idle forever.

Please everyone, any suggestions are welcome, need this thing on the road asap.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Try switching the harness to the TPS and MAP around thats what happen to my car. I was lookin for vacuum leaks and everything. come to find out i had the TPS and MAP sensors wires switched around.

blake22 12-07-2009 03:28 PM

I am having the same exact problem, my car will not rev past 3k and bogs in low rpm. My IACV is unplugged which might cause it to happen. I was told it may be ur IACV is dirty and isnt giving it the right reading on air.

n008i3 12-07-2009 04:53 PM

this problem was probably fixed a long time ago, but i had a buddy with a similar problem, he replaced the dizzy and that fixed the problem.

95jdmcivic 12-07-2009 04:54 PM

um check your dizzy cap and rotor.