Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

help! axles will not come off, and the blower box under the dash

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2002, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help! axles will not come off, and the blower box under the dash

this is a 93 cx

I have done a couple of swaps and broken axles free a number of times. I have never had to deal with anything like this. I have put liquid wrench on them and given it everything I have. I have a 3.5 foot extension on my wrench and I am literally picking the whole front of the car up off the jackstands in an effort to get these loose. Any ideas?

Also, the blower box, the one directly behind the center console will not come out of the car. Where are all of the screws? Are there some in other places like in the engine that I am missing?

Thanks!

ps: having teh car towed to a shop to have someone break these for me is the LAST thing I want to do.... I"m considering buying getting a saw and cutting the axles in half so I could at least pull the tranny, but then how would I get the nut loose? Seems like I'd have the same problem.
Old 09-07-2002, 04:11 PM
JV
Who?

Default Re: help! axles will not come off, and the blower box under the dash (trbob16a)

I have a 3.5 foot extension on my wrench
Try a 6' fence pole. Worked for me...
Old 09-07-2002, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help! axles will not come off, and the blower box under the dash (JV)

I have what I'm guessing is a 1.5' breaker bar with a 3.5' extension, so I'm at about 4-5' depending on where I put the extra bar. After doing a little search I think I'm going to take my handy dremel to the nut tomorrow. I don't give a poo about the axles because they are going straight to the garbage.

Now about that box under the dash...
Old 09-07-2002, 05:48 PM
Banned

Default Re: help! axles will not come off, and the blower box under the dash (trbob16a)

first off put the wheels back on the car without the center caps. than put the car on the ground. Than go ahead and do it.
Old 09-07-2002, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help! axles will not come off, and the blower box under the dash (On Point EK!!!!!!!!)

first off put the wheels back on the car without the center caps. than put the car on the ground. Than go ahead and do it.
Yup, did that tonight. Also moved to a 5' breaker with even more liquid wrench and in general beating and swearing. I kept moving the car back by working on the one side, then I'd go to teh other and move that forward. Tomorrow I go for a 7 or 8' pluming pipe, and if that doesn't work its on to the dremel.

By the way, repeatedly putting enough force on that nut to the point that I'm moving the car is making my back hurt. I don't think the two hours I spent yesterday picking the car up off the jackstands with the nut is helping either. Good thing I have beer.
Old 09-07-2002, 08:07 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I assume you picked away the piece of nut that's folded into the indentation on the axle. Don't try pulling up..I find it easier-and less stressfull just to step(jump) down on the breaker bar, rather than pulling up...that's crazy it's taking so long-what kinda tools you have!!?? Must be strong to last all that struggle. I broke 2 ratchets trying to take off a crank pulley once!!
Old 09-07-2002, 09:11 PM

Default Re: help! axles will not come off, and the blower box under the dash (Emerica)

I have a 1 inch drive ratchet you could use if you were down this direction. And a 3/4 inch drive Impact wrench.
Old 09-07-2002, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help! axles will not come off, and the blower box under the dash (Extreme_Hybrid_Hatch)

I'm using a big boy craftsman breaker bar with a pipe from the plumbing section of home depot. I have tried jumping/standing on it all the way out and I weight about 175lbs. With about 4' stand out, that is theoretically over 600ft-lb of torque I'm putting on these things. And yes, I beat the indentation back first thing, as well as the rest in an effort to get the liquid wrench in there further. As soon as black99Si gets back from nc I'm going to have him stand on it. Headed to home depot for a 6' bar tomorrow and brian is over 225lbs. If that does get it well then I guess I'll have to cut it off.

extreme: where do you live? I'll come down and pick it up if you'll let me, and I'll give you a little deposit or something so you know I'll bring it back.
Old 09-13-2002, 12:01 AM

I started stripping my interior out of my car as well. I have taken 2 out of the 3 black boxes out. The blower box is the hardest one for me also. What I did with the other 2 boxes is get a hammer and break them off. I also took the 2 pipes that go from 1 of the black box to the engine bay. ALso took the little routing vents that are behind the dashboard that run from the black box to the passenger and middle vents and also the 1 that runs behind the gauge cluster. I am still stuck on the middle black box which I suppose its the blower box. My car has no rear interior at all. I just need to take that black box out, then take the carpet out then take the tar out. Then tryin to strip more stuff out of the car. Then get my roll cage real soon. Your in Washington DC just hit me up!! on a PM!! I live near Georgia Ave.
Old 09-13-2002, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

when is was trying to take an axle nut off my 89 Si, we had a 1inch socket on there with a 6ft bar over the ginat wrachet and me jumping (235lbs) push pulling, everything, nothing would budge it, we heated it (hey try that) and lubed the hell out of it. NOTHING
I went out and bought a socket to fit my impact gun and it cam off in 5seconds, and it;s only a 400ft/lbs gun
If you can borrow a compressor and air tools it will come off
Old 09-13-2002, 05:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is a 93 cx

I have done a couple of swaps and broken axles free a number of times. I have never had to deal with anything like this. I have put liquid wrench on them and given it everything I have. I have a 3.5 foot extension on my wrench and I am literally picking the whole front of the car up off the jackstands in an effort to get these loose. Any ideas?

Also, the blower box, the one directly behind the center console will not come out of the car. Where are all of the screws? Are there some in other places like in the engine that I am missing?
As for the blower box there is a single nut on the outside of the firewall, right where the coolent hoses pass through it, pul the nut and the hoses and you are good to go

as for the axles, i had to cut groves in the nuts with and air cut off tool and pry away as much of the nut as possible and then get that wrench on there with a long breaker bar, the more of the nut you can get away from the axle the better
Old 09-13-2002, 12:04 PM

Default Re: help! axles will not come off, and the blower box under the dash (bikeboy80)

I think we are both talking bout the heater core then. the one thts in the middle.
Old 09-13-2002, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help! axles will not come off, and the blower box under the dash (Civicdrgrcr)

yep, thats the one
Old 09-13-2002, 01:28 PM

Default Re: help! axles will not come off, and the blower box under the dash (bikeboy80)

Man I still havn't been able to take that ******* heater core out. I took the bolt out. front the engien bay. Now I am just hammering the hell out of it.

Blood and money makes your car go faster hehe!!

This happened today
Old 09-13-2002, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I took the suspension apart and removed the axel from the wheel hub. Then, I just yanked the damn things out of the tranny, did the reverse to reinstall. Just a thought but you aren't going to be able to free them with the axels still mounted in the hubs.
Old 09-13-2002, 04:34 PM

Default Re: help! axles will not come off, and the blower box under the dash (lonefuzzy79)

Finally took out that POS heater core and all that stuff under the dashboard.
Just by removing **** under the dashboard I have weighed it all in plastic bags and it has come out to 30lbs. I still got to remove some minor stuff under the dashboard. I started to weigh and strip some more of the interior out but night. Came I have a book to record the exact weight I have lost from teh car. Remember the 92 CX weighs 2094.