Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help with axles...trouble separating ball joint

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with axles...trouble separating ball joint

I got everything off alright...however....i can't seem to seperate the ball joint in order to get the axles out...i tried hitting it w/a hammer but still wont work? am i doing it wrong?
Old 06-30-2004, 09:21 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: Help with axles...trouble separating ball joint (plaiskool)

get a big *** breaker bar and put it between the lower control arm and hub and pry them apart...make sure you dont touch the boot
Old 06-30-2004, 09:56 PM
SFC

acetyline torch. That's the only way mine would come off. Heat the **** out of the LCA and hit it with a hammer again, it'll drop right off.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SFC)

get a ball joint seperater (SP?) and give it a goood wack $20 at autozone
Old 06-30-2004, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (photec2)

Thats what I usually use. Just make sure if you do use it put the nut on losely so you dont squase the balljoint bolt.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To avoid crushing the bolt joint bolt, thread the nut back on till it is flush. I just whack the LCA right at the joint once or twice, a nice sharp hit should seperate it.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:39 PM

Default Re: (photec2)

The best if you ask me, unless you want to ruine others things also.

Jonathan
Old 07-01-2004, 04:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (civicgsr93)

I just used a 10lb min-sledge - whack the LCA near the ball joint and it should just seperate.

You can also use a pickle fork - just make to sure to grease the fork part as you don't want to tear the ball joint boot.

The ball joint seperator (pictured above) is also another alternative - but as mentioned, make sure to get the nut flush with the end of the ball joint stud. The stud has 2 holes drilled all the way through which makes the stud weak. If you had used this seperator without the nut sitting flush, you could easily mushroom the stud and then its time for a new ball joint - which also means pulling the knuckle out because you have to press the ball joint in/out.
Old 07-01-2004, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EE_Chris)

used a jack under the ball joint, and a big hammer on the LCA. "POP" out it went.
Old 07-01-2004, 08:34 AM

if the ball joint just won't come like it happened to me. i used a ball joint seperator, pickle fork, torch hammer,etc... just drop the lca from the the other side. there are like 3 or 4 17mm bolts, a 17mm nut and a 12mm nut for the sway bar and it should drop and give you enough clearance to pull the axle out.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:32 PM

turn the wheel to the opposite direction that your working on lift up on the hub then hit the flat edge of the controll arm with a hammer... should pop right off (ghetto way)
Old 07-08-2004, 11:41 PM

Default Re: (SleepyCx)

hmmm, lots of ghetto ways.lol. My ghetto ways are to take off the nut and leave the other suspension bolts still in loosely and lower the car slowly with the wheels on till you here the pop. if you do it right it should pop and nothing will get messed up. The weight of the car will pop it off. Be careful though if you don't go slow enough you could easily trash your fender. If you don't like that way take a craftsman 1/2 inch breaker bar and shove it in there to pry. It fits quite snugly, after its in you can either: 1= beat it in further to pop it 2= kick it downward to pop it or 3= throw a pipe on the breaker bar for more leverage, should come right off. I suggest you try the second way first, the first way is sorta my last resort. I've tried a lot of different methods before and have come to the conclusion that these are the most effective. I hate forks because they always rip the boots and those little puller dudads can mess up the stud.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:18 AM

DONT use a hammer..we messed up threading on my friends car. What you need is called a pickle fork. Its used to seperate ball joints.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EE_Chris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EE_Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just used a 10lb min-sledge - whack the LCA near the ball joint and it should just seperate.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is the correct way and it works most of the time. If it doesn't pop out use a breaker between the LCA and put some pressure while you hit the LCA. Just don't hit the lower ball joint as the threads will mushroom at the end and your out of luck then Pickle fork will also get the job done but will most of the time tear the boot, no biggie though.
Old 07-09-2004, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help with axles...trouble separating ball joint (plaiskool)

a pickel fork will do the trick. put some grease on the fork first though to help avoid ripping the boot on the ball joint.
Old 07-10-2004, 09:24 AM

Default Re: Help with axles...trouble separating ball joint (monicle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by monicle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a pickel fork will do the trick. put some grease on the fork first though to help avoid ripping the boot on the ball joint.</TD></TR></TABLE> pickle forks always mess up that ball joint..... if u dont have the right tool.... then use my hammer trick it works.....
Old 07-10-2004, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jeffk182)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jeffk182 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">DONT use a hammer..we messed up threading on my friends car. What you need is called a pickle fork. Its used to seperate ball joints. </TD></TR></TABLE>

and it's alot easier with (thor) big heavy hammer.

that's because stupid used the hammer on the threads. you're not suppossed to hit the threaded shank. hit the lca.

if you're only doing this to get your axles out, try the two 17mm nuts on the shock tower. undo those 2 nuts, drop the upper control arm, and the whole suspension assembly swings out and you can pull your axles out that way... most people tell me they don't do it that way because their ball joints come apart easily. but i like doing it this way because i never have to worry about ball joints and cotter pins. hope this helps.
Old 07-10-2004, 10:48 AM

Default Re: (pb16b)

AHH!!! Why does everyone **** with the ball joint. Just take out the 2 nuts either side of the shock tower in the engine bay and let the assembly drop and then pull out the axle!!! Why do so many people mess with that ball joint ??????
Old 07-10-2004, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I always raise the suspension (compress the spring) and then beat on the arm. That way there is extra tension pressing on it. If that doesnt work I try the puller/pusher tool (I bought one)
Old 07-10-2004, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (2manycars2choose)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2manycars2choose &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">AHH!!! Why does everyone **** with the ball joint. Just take out the 2 nuts either side of the shock tower in the engine bay and let the assembly drop and then pull out the axle!!! Why do so many people mess with that ball joint ?????? </TD></TR></TABLE>

the 2 nuts on either side of the shock tower are the upper controll arms, however they have a bar in between each bolt behind the strut (strut travels inbetween upper control arm) so how would you go about this one?
Old 07-10-2004, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

when I swap my b16 I have the same problem...just go to autozone and rent the ball joint seperator, it free and it solved all my problem.
Old 07-10-2004, 12:06 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (HATCHingMN)

right tool for the job. get in the zone... autooo zone!
Old 07-10-2004, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

thats about the only thing they have/do that works...a damn ball joint tool
Old 07-10-2004, 11:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

take out the outter joints first then the ones on the tranny, its much easier cause the tranny will hold the other side for you =D
Old 07-11-2004, 12:01 AM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

what i do is stick my crowbar embetween the lca and shockfork, then.. well.. pry it,

sometimes u just gota wedge it then hit the bar with a hammer..

Quick Reply: Help with axles...trouble separating ball joint