Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help - Auto to Manuel conversion information inregards to wiring!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 11:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - Auto to Manuel conversion information inregards to wiring!

Hi,
before everyone thinks this is another ' one of those threads that pops up every month' this is quite differnt,

ive actually done it, on my honda eg, and ive just got a few questions in regards to wiring!

ive changed the ecu and the car works fine, with a few minor issues,

ive got a extra hole in the floor of my car, because a extra hole from the auto and was wondering if someone has a pic of a fully stripped interior of a eg manual, so i know what size holes to create/and weld over,

in addition,
the auto transmission where the auto stick used to be, has the wires to light up that area " P D , D2, R, etc" and they can be taken away, however there is another bit of wiring that had a white connector thing on it and without it , the car wont start, its most deflinatey a auto related peice but i can t seem to work around it/ get rid of it,
ontop of that ive got these wirings hanging out the centre console that im not sure if i can remove
if anyone can shed light on these issues from experience, i would appreciate it!
Old 04-25-2009, 12:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Help - Auto to Manuel conversion information inregards to wiring!

It's because of the interlock switch.

Here you go:
http://hondacivicforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31774

The two wires it says need to go to the interlock switch, you can just connect those two wires together and skip the interlock. Only difference is that you won't have to push the clutch pedal in to start the car. Just make sure you never start the car in gear without the clutch pedal pushed in. Get in a habit of parking in neutral with the e-brake and you'll be fine. My car came like this, with the interlock switch bypassed, and I never knew it at first. I just knew that you can't start the car with the clutch engaged and the car in gear.

Have fun with your manual transmission! I know I sure do. lol
Old 04-25-2009, 12:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

buddy! your a life saver,
thanks for the help,
can i remove these wires frmo the car all together from its source?

ive got a manual ECU, and the engine oil light is on all the time, and teh engine oil leve is fine,
anyway around this?
and when i change to a manual cluster, what about the wires that are related to P,D,R, etc etc?
can i take these out physically or MUST i leave it behind the cluster?
Old 04-25-2009, 12:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm, i'm not exactly sure about removing those wires. The two wires mentioned in the DIY need to be at least connected together if not connected to the interlock switch. Read my above post for more details on this (I edited it, and you may not have noticed)

The oil light... hmm. Was the light on before or did it come on immediately after the manual conversion? How's your oil filter? The engine oil light comes on when oil pressure is lower than specs, to give you a better idea of what it means in case you didn't know. This is usually caused by low oil, but you have already checked that and found that it is fine. A clogged oil filter could cause low oil pressure I believe.

The wires going to the cluster for the gear position indicator can be removed if you wish. Just be very careful not to remove or cut the wrong wires.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks mate!

im from australia and on our honda forums it seems no one deos this conversion! had to come here and ur real great help!
sounds awsome, its not low on oil athats for sure and caem on immediately after,
i suspect its a ECU issue with the sensor!

did you use new engine mount for the gear box or did u weld and cut? and in addition, what did you do about the hole in the middle between the seats?
Old 04-25-2009, 12:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I didn't actually do the conversion, the write-up was done by someone else. For the hole you can make a metal shroud like in the link i posted. That's about all you can do if you want to cover it up (highly recommended that you cover it up to keep dirt and grime out of the interior).

If the oil light came on right after the conversion then yeah, I'd consider the ECU to be the source of the problem.

But actually, if you cannot start the car, then the oil light staying on with the key turned but the car off is normal.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks a million! defiantely solved 90% of my problems!
Old 04-25-2009, 12:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No problem. Good luck with the rest of the conversion.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:47 AM

also check to make sure your sensor wasnt damaged or unplugged when you swapped the transmission.