Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HELP ASAP!! B16b 1993 del so, axle question

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP ASAP!! B16b 1993 del so, axle question

Ok, I'm in the middle of replacing the control arms and ball joints and tie rod ends and yada, yada, yada..... Front end stuff. Well, my passenger side drive shaft just fell apart when I was pulling the spindle/knuckle out. The jack-head that bot the car didnt put any kind of clamp around the cv boot. So now I'm looking at a cv with a ton of crap in it and the bearings fell out and landed in wet gravel. I cleaned it all up and was going to reuse it and "make due" cause I'm stuck at home until the car is drive able and I've got to be at work tomorrow when I remembered that I had a set of Acura axles left over from a Zc swap into a first gen crx than I decided not to use. I wasn't sure what year they were but I think its early 90s integra. I compared them to the passenger side Axle I had out and they are the exact same except for the abs ring on the old one and the new one has a rubber bumper mid shaft. It looks like the old one had something there at one time but its not there anymore. Anyhow, my question is, if they are the same length, have the same size and length splines, and the transmission seal lip is the same, I should be able to use them. Right? I don't have abs so I don't need the ring gear. Other than that, I should be ok, right? I'm pretty sure these axles were not meant for a b series or a del sol chassis, but if they fit, they fit. Right? I kind of stuck here so I need help like right now. Otherwise I would just take my time and research it. The other issue is, Im putting all new stuff in the front end and I don't want to have to beat everything back apart in a few days/weeks to replace this worn cv axle if I don't have to.

P.s. gosh darn those lower ball joints are hard to get out. I actually crushed the end of the ball joint stud using the "pincher tool" I ended up having to cook it with a torch while it was under pressure to get it out. It sounded like a shotgun going off when it finally let go. If I had known it was going to be that hard to get them out, I would have bought spare knuckle assys and taken them to a shop to be rebuilt ahead of time. I've been a mechanic of some sort for the last 20 years and this was the closest I've ever gotten to being completely stuck.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:28 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: HELP ASAP!! B16b 1993 del so, axle question

Originally Posted by Erevojoe
Ok, I'm in the middle of replacing the control arms and ball joints and tie rod ends and yada, yada, yada..... Front end stuff. Well, my passenger side drive shaft just fell apart when I was pulling the spindle/knuckle out. The jack-head that bot the car didnt put any kind of clamp around the cv boot. So now I'm looking at a cv with a ton of crap in it and the bearings fell out and landed in wet gravel. I cleaned it all up and was going to reuse it and "make due" cause I'm stuck at home until the car is drive able and I've got to be at work tomorrow when I remembered that I had a set of Acura axles left over from a Zc swap into a first gen crx than I decided not to use. I wasn't sure what year they were but I think its early 90s integra. I compared them to the passenger side Axle I had out and they are the exact same except for the abs ring on the old one and the new one has a rubber bumper mid shaft. It looks like the old one had something there at one time but its not there anymore. Anyhow, my question is, if they are the same length, have the same size and length splines, and the transmission seal lip is the same, I should be able to use them. Right? I don't have abs so I don't need the ring gear. Other than that, I should be ok, right? I'm pretty sure these axles were not meant for a b series or a del sol chassis, but if they fit, they fit. Right? I kind of stuck here so I need help like right now. Otherwise I would just take my time and research it. The other issue is, Im putting all new stuff in the front end and I don't want to have to beat everything back apart in a few days/weeks to replace this worn cv axle if I don't have to.

P.s. gosh darn those lower ball joints are hard to get out. I actually crushed the end of the ball joint stud using the "pincher tool" I ended up having to cook it with a torch while it was under pressure to get it out. It sounded like a shotgun going off when it finally let go. If I had known it was going to be that hard to get them out, I would have bought spare knuckle assys and taken them to a shop to be rebuilt ahead of time. I've been a mechanic of some sort for the last 20 years and this was the closest I've ever gotten to being completely stuck.
I tried pressing the lower B/js out, then tried heating it. The next day I got H.t. Advice, bashed em out with a smaller socket and a hammer.

it was fun, will do it again when I get nice brakes
Old 06-01-2014, 07:31 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

BACK ON TRACK:

take 15 mins on magestic Honda and compare the parts numbers for those two vehicles and their axles.

id bet they'l work, man. What choice do you have? Just try it lol, how hard is it to pull out the fastener for the spindle to pop in a new axle?
Old 06-01-2014, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for taking the time to relpy. Part numbers are going to be diffrent because of the abs. As fas as how hard is it to pop the stuff Apart to replace a shaft later. Its not that its hard, its just that separating tie rods and ball joints is hard on the seals and squeezes out more grease. Its not thwt I won't take it back apart if I have to, its just that I don't want to put the wear and tear on brand new parts. I just dropped a weeks pay on my front end, I don't want to have to take a hammer to it in two weeks. I'd rather get it all together now and just drive it for a while.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:23 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by Erevojoe
Thanks for taking the time to relpy. Part numbers are going to be diffrent because of the abs. As fas as how hard is it to pop the stuff Apart to replace a shaft later. Its not that its hard, its just that separating tie rods and ball joints is hard on the seals and squeezes out more grease. Its not thwt I won't take it back apart if I have to, its just that I don't want to put the wear and tear on brand new parts. I just dropped a weeks pay on my front end, I don't want to have to take a hammer to it in two weeks. I'd rather get it all together now and just drive it for a while.
I bet you ABS was an option with your engine. There is more than likely an axle compatibility chart floating around here

lol oops you meant the lack of ABS on your doner car. Uhm you know what though I think I'm still right, it was probably an option. Thus there may be a model available that doesn't have abs, and if the parts numbers match then you're good to go.

even if they dont match, it can still work though.