Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help with alingment/steering rack?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with alingment/steering rack?

I just gotten into a accident. I hit my driver side fender, bumper, and wheels on the back passenger corner for a Mini. Now my wheels are out of place. Here are some pics:

as you can see, the driver side wheel is turn a little to the left when the other wheel and steering wheel is straight.

here is a closer shot.

a view from the driver side. the wheel is also pushed back further.

closer look with comparison to my fat fingers.

and here is how it should be.

both wheels spins freely. i cant hear any clunking nosies when i took them up to 40mph (on jackstands). i havent have the energy to look at it closely yet. my neck and shoulders hurt, and a very bad headache (already went to the doctor). anybody have any insight as to what the problem might be? or if i take it to a shop how much would they charge? any help would be appreciated. thanks.
Old 03-24-2004, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks like you bent at least the lca.
Old 03-24-2004, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bakeoff)

you bent some suspention components, take the wheel off and look closer, reorder any bent pieces
Old 03-24-2004, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help with alingment/steering rack? (red92hatch)

i'd say the tie rod as well
Old 03-24-2004, 06:39 PM

90% sure bent frame. looks like you have a 2 inch negative offset with that drivers side wheel, along with some other problems. Take it to a body shop and have them check it out, have the frame pulled (usually under $200), get it 4-wheel aligned and then sell the car. A car with a bent frame is no fun. (Trust me, I have one)
Old 03-24-2004, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MrIllegalX)

i havent have time to look at it closely yet. hopefully soon when im feeling better.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MrIllegalX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">90% sure bent frame. looks like you have a 2 inch negative offset with that drivers side wheel, along with some other problems. Take it to a body shop and have them check it out, have the frame pulled (usually under $200), get it 4-wheel aligned and then sell the car. A car with a bent frame is no fun. (Trust me, I have one)</TD></TR></TABLE>

if this is the case. on me .
Old 03-24-2004, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (red92hatch)

i doubt your frame is bent. Possibly your subframe...... it looks rather cosmetic on the fender, if your body panels still have good gap all around the front i'd say your frame is fine. I'd agree with control arm, tie rod for starters, but you might have to bend your sub-frame back, not sure if thats what was meant by frame. As for bent frame goes, yes it sure does suck
Old 03-24-2004, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (coneheadsracing)

my friends car looks identical to that after we bounced off a curb goin 30+
deff damaged lca and most likely a bent sub frame
Old 03-24-2004, 10:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hayabusa160)

anybody know how much this will cost to fix? an estimate would be fine. just need to know how much ill be looking at to fix it. im paying out of my own pocket. which sucks.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:25 PM
New User

bent LCA. my friend had the same problem
Old 03-25-2004, 03:54 AM

Default Re: Help with alingment/steering rack? (Unjockable)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by red92hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">anybody know how much this will cost to fix? an estimate would be fine. just need to know how much ill be looking at to fix it. im paying out of my own pocket. which sucks. </TD></TR></TABLE>

What the hell is this??? Your car has had some structural damage. Don't think people behind a screen can evaluate the damage with a couple of pictures. Take it to a body shop for evaluation...

How much can it cost to repair... Don't know... Pretty hard to say... Could be 2000$ could be 500$???? Get it to a shop....

If i was able to evaluate and diagnose car problems and be 100% correct all the time without seeing the car, only a couple of pictures, then i would open my own shop and make a fortune. ..

Take it to a shop

fs
Old 03-25-2004, 04:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by red92hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">anybody know how much this will cost to fix? an estimate would be fine. just need to know how much ill be looking at to fix it. im paying out of my own pocket. which sucks. </TD></TR></TABLE>

What that damn Filthy_Shovel said. Estimates at body shops are free. Get a few cuz everybody's estimate will be different.
Old 03-25-2004, 04:11 AM

Default Re: (JRI94)

I had the same problem in my 99 civic replaced a bent rear trailing arm and just went ahead and did both arms and the LCA. All New bolts, etc... Good as new.

I thought the frame was bent because the wheel was like \ and it was just a matter of swapping in the new trailing arm. I took it to 3 autobodies and an alignment place and all said the same thing. I was sure it was a bent frame.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:22 AM

Default Re: (JRI94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JRI94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
What that damn Filthy_Shovel said.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn Filthy_shovel???? What do you mean dude???

fs
Old 03-25-2004, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its the lca i had the same problem after an accident in the snow, but mine was pushed a little farther back.

Also check the swaybar and the subframe for bends
Old 03-25-2004, 07:48 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Help with alingment/steering rack? (filthy_shovel)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by filthy_shovel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What the hell is this??? Your car has had some structural damage. Don't think people behind a screen can evaluate the damage with a couple of pictures. Take it to a body shop for evaluation...

How much can it cost to repair... Don't know... Pretty hard to say... Could be 2000$ could be 500$???? Get it to a shop....

If i was able to evaluate and diagnose car problems and be 100% correct all the time without seeing the car, only a couple of pictures, then i would open my own shop and make a fortune. ..

Take it to a shop

fs</TD></TR></TABLE>

Best advice I've seen. I too was going to say have a professional shop look at it.

Nobody here can even begin to assess the damage.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:51 AM

Default Re: Help with alingment/steering rack? (B18C5-EH2)

Old 03-25-2004, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help with alingment/steering rack? (filthy_shovel)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by filthy_shovel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Take it to a shop

fs</TD></TR></TABLE>

i was just asking if anybody would know an estimate. but i understand what you saying. i just dont want to tow the car to a shop just for an estimate, then find out it'll be too much then tow it back and so on. thanks for your help.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:45 AM

understood, but the best that can be done here is a rough, very rough guestimate.

You can't really know the type of damage you have unless someone can take a look at it and see. You could have severe damage, compounded by maybe slack components that will bring the price up. Further, sometimes, even with small hits, you may have "bent" the sub frame ans such.... On top of that, you may have damages motor supports, and engine components. Really hard to tell.

If you are not mechanically enclined, try a friend or something... I know tow trucks are not cheap, but you were in an accident, you have to at least get an estimate.

One thing you can try is compare the good side (passenger side) with the bad side(driver side). Take out your tape measure and start measuring parts here and there. If measurement don't jive, then you know something was bent.

But again, nothing beats en experienced person to know what damage can occur when a honda of this type gets hit this way.

good luck

fs
Old 03-25-2004, 08:50 PM

Default Re: (coneheadsracing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by coneheadsracing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i doubt your frame is bent. Possibly your subframe...... </TD></TR></TABLE>

sorry, that's what I meant.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MrIllegalX)

well, i replaced the lca and now its not pushed back no more. but the wheel is still not alinged. the wheel is still turn a little to the left. anybody know what the problem might be.
is there a way for me to check if the sub-frame is bent?

thanks.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:58 PM
sohcvtec66

hey man, welcome to my world, i have a 90 hatch, and i didnt get in a accident or anything, steering just went out,

ill be driving and making a right turn: ill turn the steering wheel, and my car keeps going forward, untill it grabs and start's turning... lots of play in my steering wheel, what do u guys think is wrong witmy car, cuss i am clueless
Old 04-01-2004, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by red92hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well, i replaced the lca and now its not pushed back no more. but the wheel is still not alinged. the wheel is still turn a little to the left. anybody know what the problem might be.
is there a way for me to check if the sub-frame is bent?

thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

bump for myself. any help or suggestion to what the solution could be would be greatful.
Old 04-02-2004, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for one more try!
Old 04-02-2004, 05:06 PM

you can check it visually or have it measured. it's hard to check it visually if you don't know what you're looking for.