Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HELP! 95' GSR brake swap onto a 94' Del Sol S (Searched)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! 95' GSR brake swap onto a 94' Del Sol S (Searched)

Alright, here's the problem/question. I have already searched, but haven't really found the answer(s). I have a 1994 Del Sol S. I just picked up a set of 95' GSR brakes front and rear, proportioning valve, booster, and master cylinder. It looks to have had ABS as well.

The proportioning valves are way different, as is the master cylinder and booster. My question is, will my brake lines work if I use these? By the looks of things, they wont. If I don't use the one from the GSR, will the stock one still work?

Also, with the master cylinder having come from a car with ABS, my brake lines wont fit with that either correct?

I guess all in all, my question is, what do I need to make the swap work to where I wont have to reconfigure my brake lines? I've heard that a 1991 civic EX master cylinder will bolt right up to my original booster and work perfect for the swap. I just need to know if I need a new prop valve or not. If I do, which one do I need to use and not have to mess with brake lines? And what master cylinder can I/should I use?

I really need help. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP! 95' GSR brake swap onto a 94' Del Sol S (1992vxhatch)

Anyone?

Here are some pix:

Proportioning valve on my car now

Master cylinder and booster on the car now

Proportioning valve from the GSR

Master cylinder from GSR

Please help!
Old 09-02-2006, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright dude, you asked the right question to the right person. I JUST finished my '99 GSR brake swap on my '93 del Sol S, and I have good and bad news. The Good news is that the master cylinder and booster can be easily utilized. The spindles are a direct swap out and alll the lines fit (sorta).
Now for the bad news, although not too bad.
1.) You will have to either refab or simply bend your master cylinder lines. I bent mine carefully and ensured no kinks were put in it. The lines are resilient, so they are good to take the abuse, just bend the one on closer to you/front of car (looking foward into the engine bay) to the top side hole and the reaer one to the left side of the M/C. I used the same prop valve, I wasn't will to bend that many lines, It is just fine.
2.)You will need to go to the Honda dealership or a junkyard and get del Sol Si or VTEC specific E-brake cables, your stock ones and hit the trash.
3.) You will need to ditch your stock 175/70/R13 tires, at least up front, they don't fit anymore.
When I did the swap I said screw the prop valve and ABS system, I just deleted all the parts for the system, and it all works like a charm. Careful though, they will lock up a WHOLE lot easier than the ones you have. Just to give you a taste, one of my friends has an '04 STI with the Brembo Big Brake kit, 4 piston fronts and 2 piston rears, and from 75 to 0,I actually stop 1/2 a carlength BEFORE him. You will be greatly satisfied
Old 09-02-2006, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (outtacontrolsol)

So you used the GSR master cylinder and booster and just bent the origional lines to fit?

And what do you mean "deleted" the proportioning valve?

Do you have any pictures of your setup?? That would help me soo much if you did.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (1992vxhatch)

i dont know much about front gsr brake swaps but like outtacontrolsol said, u can use the gsr BB/MC u have and just bend the lines carefully to fit. the proportial valve is definately not the correct one. u need the prop valve from a non abs integra. all integras have the same size brakes front and rear so just make sure u buy one that is non abs. what e-brake lines do u have? gsr? im sure they will fit because i have ITR e-brake lines on my eg and the hubs are from a 00 si. dont ignore the prop valve as that and the BB/MC will affect pedal feel. lmk if u have any other questions, ill do my best to try and answer
Old 09-02-2006, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (XkjeldorX)

Well i work at Honda, so Ill be getting Del Sol vtec e-brake cables. That wont be a problem. I also have to get new bushings too, but thats the least of my worries right now.

So should I get a prop valve from like an RS integra, or will a del sol vtec prop valve work too? (I ask because it will be easier to get on from Honda rather then Acura.) And maybe Im still not getting it, but how will the master cylinder from the ABS GSR going to work? If you look at the picture up top, you'll see that my stock MC has only two brake lines coming out from the drivers side. On the GSR MC, there is one up top more so on the drivers side, and another one on the passengers side with another hole which Im guessing is for the ABS. I see how I could bend the two lines to fit, but what about the other hole? Or should I just get the MC from a 91 civic EX that will fit on my current booster and work too? Would I still have to bend the brake lines?
Old 09-02-2006, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (1992vxhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1992vxhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well i work at Honda, so Ill be getting Del Sol vtec e-brake cables. That wont be a problem. I also have to get new bushings too, but thats the least of my worries right now.

So should I get a prop valve from like an RS integra, or will a del sol vtec prop valve work too? (I ask because it will be easier to get on from Honda rather then Acura.) And maybe Im still not getting it, but how will the master cylinder from the ABS GSR going to work? If you look at the picture up top, you'll see that my stock MC has only two brake lines coming out from the drivers side. On the GSR MC, there is one up top more so on the drivers side, and another one on the passengers side with another hole which Im guessing is for the ABS. I see how I could bend the two lines to fit, but what about the other hole? Or should I just get the MC from a 91 civic EX that will fit on my current booster and work too? Would I still have to bend the brake lines?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i see what ur saying about the MC. i think u might be off better getting the one from the 91 civic EX. about the proportioning valve, just get one from an integra that is non abs. i dont know about the del sol vtec one, not sure if it would work cuz the del sol vtec has ABS aswell.
so in all just get prop valve from integra non abs, integra non abs MC/BB or 91 civic EX MC, and the del sol vtec e-brake cables.