Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help. 95 civic w/ gsr swap dead suddenly dont know why

Old 07-08-2009, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help. 95 civic w/ gsr swap dead suddenly dont know why

Ok so this is a late post since the car died like in january of this year.
Its a 95 civic ex with a 95 integra gsr swap all wired up right running stock ecu p72-ao1.
Before it died it kept on throwing the dreaded code 9 for TDC sensor. All the while I started to have ignition switch issues where it would intermitently start then not, so i resorted to hot wire jumping the starter.
One day in january as i went to go buy another honda for a commuter, this honda dies in a sudden put put. The day before it turned on fine drove it up the drive and parked it expecting it to run the next day so that i could fix her up. When i go to turn it on i noticed the code 9 code again although i disregarded it because it was popping on and off for the past month. I hot wire jump the starter and it fires although the sound it makes is horrible. It made the noise like it stopped running on all cylinders. It had enough power to move 10 feet then it died. I push it to park it and havnt really dont anything major to fix.
OK before everyone starts jumping on me to do whatever let me tell you what ive done so far.
1. compression tested it. #s 1 and 4 had very low comp 1 had 60 and 4 had 40, while 2 and 3 had nothing, a big 0.

While cranking it to do this test i was hearing a loud grinding and struggling coming from the starter fly wheel trans area. So i stopped and began to worry what the hell could have made the sound. I took the starter off check the teeth on the visible part of the flywheel and it still looked intact. Went to take the starter to get tested and it passed low but still passed.

2. Spark, truthfully i cant remember if i checked for spark, so i probably will do it again to make sure.

So thats where i am now. After the compression test i figured the head gasket blew so that was going to be my next step once i get the kit, and while im at it change the belt water pump and idler.

Oh i also checked to see if the timing had jumped by lining up all the marks and timing is still dead on so i dont assume any valves to be bent or any head damage.
The engine has not over heated and so therefore i am stumped as to how and why the compression is so low.

Im looking for help from you fellow honda techers out there to maybe share some knowledge on what my next step will be.

Now if my spelling is bad or it doesnt make sense please dont flame on me. Im looking for help not attitude. thanks alot guys.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help. 95 civic w/ gsr swap dead suddenly dont know why

I don't under stand how the middle ones have 0? so the car does turn over right? have you tried to manually spin the motor around ( using a 19 mm and on the crank pulley turn it around) when you turn the key over do you notice if the timing side of the engine moves ( like everything moves around)
Old 07-08-2009, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Help. 95 civic w/ gsr swap dead suddenly dont know why

if your not getting any compression, the car isnt going to start. I would still check for spark, but 0 compression = 0 start.