Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

hElP! 95 Civic - Starter troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 09:11 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 hElP! 95 Civic - Starter troubleshooting

We bought our son this car last week and the more we look at it, we believe it is kind of a frankenstein. That being said I have a question about the starter.

He was pulling in the driveway the other night and the housing for the starter broke. We purchased a new starter tonight (rebuilt from Autozone) and when he installed it and subsequently went to start the car he got a sound like the starter needed to be shimmed...that high spinning metal rubbing together sound. It wasn't like the free spinning sound when it isn't engaging.

He pulled it off and added a washer (we don't have shims) to the bolts and now he is getting the free spinning sounds like it isn't engaging.

The battery and alternator have also been replaced (don't think it is relevant but thought I would mention it)

Any suggestions/comments/ideas/criticisms?

All ears...and thanks in advance.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hElP! 95 Civic - Starter troubleshooting

Before installing the starter, check if the solenoid is working properly.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:57 PM
Trial User

the solenoid is attached to the starter and we didn't think about testing it, so it could be independently bad even though it is "new" rebuilt from the store? Forgive the ignorance in the question.

The starter appears to be turning, the engine is turning it just isn't cranking over. There is an audibly loud spinning noise coming from the starter area like it is free spinning. (at least it isn't grinding like before)

If power is getting to the starter with the volt meter from the battery and it is all turning like it is "trying" to start it just isn't what else could it be besides "bad"?
Old 02-02-2012, 02:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im confused. Is the engine turning or not? if you can hear the starter spinning freely, the solenoid is not able to engage the gear to the flywheel. Remove the starter, jump wires from the battery and see how the solenoid works.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:38 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey look, a How-to!

How-to.

Skip forward to 2:30.

Last edited by jbpnoman; 02-02-2012 at 04:28 AM.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm going to have to lean towards the rebuilt starter you bought being bad. It's happend to me many time with several different vehicles. If the battery and alternator have been replaced recently I'd double check them just to make sure they're working properly. You can bench test the starter yourself but if you have the receipt just go to autozone and get a different one. You can try your hand at another rebuilt one but you may want to consider a new one.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Also check the flywheel teeth.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:41 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by noodlhead
We bought our son this car last week and the more we look at it, we believe it is kind of a frankenstein. That being said I have a question about the starter.

He was pulling in the driveway the other night and the housing for the starter broke. We purchased a new starter tonight (rebuilt from Autozone) and when he installed it and subsequently went to start the car he got a sound like the starter needed to be shimmed...that high spinning metal rubbing together sound. It wasn't like the free spinning sound when it isn't engaging.

He pulled it off and added a washer (we don't have shims) to the bolts and now he is getting the free spinning sounds like it isn't engaging.

The battery and alternator have also been replaced (don't think it is relevant but thought I would mention it)

Any suggestions/comments/ideas/criticisms?

All ears...and thanks in advance.
THANK YOU ---
to all the reply posts. The next night my son pulled the spark plug in the fourth cyl to check the compression because it still wouldn't start. The spark plug was shattered and there was a hole in the piston and block. Apparently the valve was bent on the head...or something. Now we are putting a new engine in the car. At least we have a new starter/alternator and battery I was gonna upload a pic but it won't allow me too! Thanks everyone.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i guess id rather have a bad starter...lol
sucks man...GL
adam jeffery